Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2014, 13:01   #16

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Dink on deck during crossings?

I really think that boat designers have ignored this subject for too long. Only recently I have seen some boats with a proper tender handling arrangement.

Hanging on davits has its problems. Sometimes a proper set of chocks with the dink on the foredeck is a better idea, as it allows wash underneath, but it will need really really good tie downs. I did one for a boat where we had Aluminum chocks made up, neoprene cushions, and it was tied down with turnbuckles, two at the transom and one at the bow. If you tie over the tubes, they will chafe one day, then the tubes leak, and you have a dink on the loose.

Filling with water is a problem whether on davits or on deck. I always suggest that a cover is made, that is pitched to shed water. The Inner support for this tent is a pile of fenders, which are also lashed in. I also put emergency water and a ditch bag of some sort into the dinghy, and then cover with a purpose made cover.

Remember that in an emergency your dinghy might be the only thing between you and death. If you use turnbuckles, make sure you have pelican hooks for quick release.

Finally here are two photos of how we re-designed our stern to make a better mousetrap for tender handling. One with our 2005 Hard dinghy which we still have, and the other, our semi-rigid which lasted from 1998-2005.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s002.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	88835   Click image for larger version

Name:	pict0006.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	88838  

Old 26-09-2014, 13:46   #17
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fugue in slip 4.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	88840

We keep the dinghy on the foredeck when offshore. It's tied securely to the toe rails, and never moves. Without a life raft, not much choice really. No davits either. The only problem is that a jib sheet will hang up on one of the tubes when tacking. Other than that, no problems.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 13:55   #18

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Does anyone carry a dink and a water activated life raft?
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 14:12   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
Does anyone carry a dink and a water activated life raft?
Yes, I do

As a dink I have a RIB and I'm planning to change it for takacat lite , to be able to deflate and fold the thing. I want to install a permanent canister (like for a liferaft) just fore of the mast to storing it. There I have a good place to inflate it and to launch it easily, using spinnaker halyard.

Cheers,

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 14:46   #20

For those of you that are putting your dink on the foredeck - any tips on how to get it there in a nice, controlled fashion? Are any of you able to do it single handed? I'd like to give it a try, but I could use some tips on getting the dink (in my case, a RIB) up on deck.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 15:04   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

Whisker pole attached to the mast and a Halyard passed through the other end. Hook the halyard to a lifting harness on the dinghy and hoist. Attach a guide line to the dinghy and with a little practice you can hoist it to height swing it over the deck and then lower it down
Old 26-09-2014, 15:08   #22

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Hi again, some tips and answers.

Yes we have an automatic 8 man liferaft and an unsinkable solid dinghy.

Most people haul the engine-less dink by the towing painter, up into the air, and then put it down on its tube ends (the titties) and then walk it down pulling the nose of the dink towards the bow of the boat.

For you guys who want a roll-up or deflated solution, remember, a Co2 Fire extinguisher with a large horn will pump up your dink in a hurry, its really fast!
Old 26-09-2014, 15:21   #23

1) make sure your dingy has had the bottom scrubbed, that way slime and barnacles that scratch your mothership deck wont be there. Remove all gear/motor etc.
2) Haul the dink aboard using a spare halyard. Bring it up at the spreaders and then swing it aboard. (it's harder than it sounds)
3) roll it upside down and lower it on the cabin top OR set it down and manhandle it in position... it depends on if you have a harness to lift it or what.
4)Secure it down.
It's a difficult but doable task with 2 people. If you are patient enough I suppose it will work with one person.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 15:31   #24

The whisker pole seems like a good solution for keeping the dink away from the mothership while raising. I would probably be stowing mine like RTB does with his, so it seems like it might take some fiddling to get it in that position when the whisker pole is used.

Lift the dink by the towing bridle would get it into position easier, but I don't see how you could keep it off the mothership as it's being hauled up, especially if your using a halyard and your singlehanded. I would think with crew, the dink could be fended off. What is everyone doing with the outboard gas tanks when stowing on deck - just lashing them somewhere on deck?
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 16:05   #25

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I will post some pics when its finished. Its similar to an arch and will look like it.
Here is a pix of my arch. It is fairly conventional but two upside down stainless steel U shaped devices. In the pix they are just behind the hanging ropes to raise the tender. For an easy passage with a known weather window I simply hoist the tender and then have two additional lines securing the tender to the back of the seats under the arch.

If I am seriously worried about a passage in potentially bad weather I take everything out of the tender and remove the outboard. Then I am able to raise it high enough to tilt it at a 90 degree angle and put the U shaped devices inside the inflated pontoons. This allows any water to drain out. I can also use the lines in the pulleys under the seats to secure the tender.

What ever system is used I think it is important to have solid attachment points to secure the tender.

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 18:26   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Yeah, the dink on davits needs to be high, drainable, and have the ob on, no chafe.

I want the outboard on it as I see a dink being the better liferaft. Its the only way to move towards a ship and fire flares at its bridge so they see you.

Also it leaves the dink set up to push the boat for coast problems.

Chafe alleviated with bean bags so theres no friction.

Cats do it better

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 03:59   #27

Location: We still have our apartment in Beijing, but now we are cruising full time, currently in the western Med.
Boat: Tayana 55

Installing davits is still on my to-do-list for the winter, but I am not sure it is the way to go. We have 3.5 m west marine RIB with a 15 hp mercury OB, plus some other stuff in the dinghy, the davits need to support approx 200 kg of weight. If I have the davits installed, then I would also consider to put solar panels on top of them. I would end up with a lot of weight at the stern and a lot of additional windage. Mooring stern-to, which is the common practice in the Med, would be more compliacted. Crossing oceans with the dink in the davits is something I would not even consider.
We have a cradle on the foredeck between staysail and mast. For launching I lift it with the spinaker halyard and then I need somebody who pushs it over the lifelines. With the help of one of my teenage daughters, it is not difficult and takes only a few minutes. Same with the OB, which is mounted at the stern pulpit. Very easy, with someone assisting, but impossible to do it alone.
If I am only sailing around the corner to another anchorage and conditions are benign I just tow the dinghy including the OB.
If stored on the foredeck, I put fenders and the small, deflated dink inside and cover it.
And yes, I also have a liferaft.
Sindbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 09:07   #28

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yeah, the dink on davits needs to be high, drainable, and have the ob on, no chafe.

I want the outboard on it as I see a dink being the better liferaft. Its the only way to move towards a ship and fire flares at its bridge so they see you.

Also it leaves the dink set up to push the boat for coast problems.

Chafe alleviated with bean bags so theres no friction.

Cats do it better
I have been using repurposed garden hose for chafe protection but am not completely happy with it.

I can see how bean bags could be a better option but am not sure where to source them. Can you provide more details about the ones you use. Do you buy them or make them yourself and if you make them what materials do you use.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 09:56   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

I can see how bean bags could be a better option but am not sure where to source them. Can you provide more details about the ones you use. Do you buy them or make them yourself and if you make them what materials do you use.
Thats the project after I get the davits up.
Homewares shops should have cushions filled with beans or I will have to get out the sowing kit.

My mate who had them was describing them in the bar the other night... Then two girls walked past....

The point is for understanding there will always be some movement so if the movement can be transfered internally to the beans instead of the coverings it will provide chafe protection.

Boats: You fix one problem and that makes a host of new problems!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 10:19   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

I can only tell what we do -- we have been out 7 years crossed the caribbean west to east and then the atlantic in 2013. For the carib crossing we left it on the foredeck but for the atlantic crossing i wanted the foredeck clean and nothing to put undue pressure on any part of the boat so it was deflated and stored below. I mean come on if it is a backup to your liferaft you got a problem witht he liferaft.

As for the ARC - who needs an arc? Why not just sail across on your own as we did but then we did not need the parties. We saw nothing good about the arc except the parties.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck