Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2015, 13:50   #106

Re: Don't anchor in the channel and this won't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
So sorry. How do we spice it up to un-bore you?
I think it was a lost cause when the "I'm the most experienced sailor" ****ing contest began.
Old 16-07-2015, 14:21   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I'm bored with this thread now.

Same here. Time to unsubscribe.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 14:22   #108

Really? I thought it was just getting interested when the hooker stories started? Can I make a request for more hooker stories? The guy with the best hooker stories is almost always the most experienced sailor.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 14:59   #109

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
...... Looks like the helmsman threaded the needle between the runabout and the edge of the channel without either running down the runabout or putting his vessel aground -- a nice day's work, and I bet the master bought him a few beers later on that evening.
The helmsman would do as he was told by the pilot or the master ( as the say... 'to master's orders and pilot's advice'). If that tanker has a beam of 100 feet and the runabout was right in the nose the ship only has to shift half its beam to the side to miss it...50 feet.. no big alteration required.
We used to have this all the time in the Port Melbourne channel.... during the snapper season the wankers would quite deliberatley anchor in the channel and refuse to budge. I reckoned 10 to 15 foot was ample clearing distance.
Old 16-07-2015, 15:22   #110

Boat: Catalina 387

Now I don't know nuthin at all, but it looks to me like the 'rescue' boat was some sort of commercial fish charter. I'd guess that the 'rescue' skipper was on the radio with the ship r and knew the ship would pass to starboard.

Or not. 'tis all speculation and post padding. But I doubt a pro skipper (even on a fishing vessel) would run headlong into a collision to help out a runabout.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 15:59   #111

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Not in how they handle personally but I do know how to read what has been written by those that do handle big ships.
That's debatable
Quote:
I stated my experience, perhaps you could share your background and the basis for your certainties.
Since you asked so nicely - 25 years Navy - bridge-watchkeeping officer and navigation officer. About 350,000 miles on a variety of vessel classes - including Protecteur - a 170m long replenishment ship; not as much tonnage as Horizon Athena, but probably a closer match for handling characteristics than your 90 ft crewing job.

Quote:
And I made it clear from the very beginning that I was making a guess on this. And I've asked several times for your information on this but so far nothing but criticism of my opinion with nothing to back it up.
Post 62 - read the thread.

Quote:
And you know this for a fact how? You saw more of the video than the rest of us?
What part of "probably" do you not understand? I didn't state it was the case; but if I was driving the ship, I would have wanted to go port, rather than thread a narrow gap between a small boat and a buoy. I also understand that the wrench in the gears of that particular plan, is the other small boat holding a suicide course on the port bow.

Quote:
I didn't say I didn't know which channel. I read that as well as you. I said it wasn't confirmed where in the channel.
Fair enough, but the entire length of that channel has a dredged and marked big ship channel that is roughly 700 yards wide. Do you acknowledge that it's evident it was on the starboard edge (from the tanker's perspective) of the channel.

Quote:
In places it's over 50' deep outside the marked channel. And before you put more words in my mouth, no I'm not saying the ship should leave the channel.
Then what's the point of saying it's over 50' in places outside the channel?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 16:03   #112

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Now I don't know nuthin at all, but it looks to me like the 'rescue' boat was some sort of commercial fish charter. I'd guess that the 'rescue' skipper was on the radio with the ship r and knew the ship would pass to starboard.

Or not. 'tis all speculation and post padding. But I doubt a pro skipper (even on a fishing vessel) would run headlong into a collision to help out a runabout.
If you listen closely to the video, you can hear the charter skipper hailing the tanker by name and telling him to 'stop' and 'back down' - clearly no clue at all about how big ships handle.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 16:06   #113
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
So sorry. How do we spice it up to un-bore you?
I think it was a lost cause when the "I'm the most experienced sailor" ****ing contest began.
Ouch, try this forum, more action and you can claim experience:

Penthouse Forum
Old 27-07-2015, 06:49   #114

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

If you look at the comments under the video the skipper of the rescue boat said that the the runabout had stalled . this would have severely reduced any chance of the freighter adjusting course even if it could
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor