Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Is dropping anchoer a sound idea?
Ever needed to do it? 2 7.41%
Ever done it? 3 11.11%
Know of anyone who has? 0 0%
Why not? 22 81.48%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2024, 15:13   #1

Drop anchor before abandoning ship.

We've all seen stories of boats washed up on beaches only to be dashed, vandalized, abandoned or scrapped. Assuming it's necessary to abandon, why not drop the anchor before leaving the boat? It will either float that way for eternity, or it will set long before being beached. It would be found anchored off shore, safe from rocks, vandals and government. That would GREATLY increase the chances of later saving that boat. It's certainly what I would do if forced off.
CK JAGUAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 15:30   #2

Re: Drop anchor before abandoning ship.

This is one of smartest things I’ve read on this forum
Motesier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 15:31   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Sensible advice that I hope I never need to follow.
Old 05-07-2024, 16:08   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Is there power to the windlass?. Are waves crashing over the boat and so on, every scenario is different.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 16:21   #5

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

I encountered this idea somewhere in my reading. The context was what to do when power (sail or engine) is lost on a lee shore. The recommendation was drop the anchor and luck might be on your side.
Old 05-07-2024, 16:26   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Is there power to the windlass?. Are waves crashing over the boat and so on, every scenario is different.

I agree every scenario is different, but on most boats the anchor can be dropped without power to the windlass.

Waves over the bow do make for challenging anchoring conditions, but if clipped on, the risks are manageable.
Old 05-07-2024, 16:44   #7

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Taking this to the next level would have the bitter end attached to something that is as strong as the rode, and to also have some means of chafe proofing wherever the rode comes in contact with the rollers, chocks, hawse holes, bobstay, etc.

This will allow a crew person to crawl forward and simply let go the anchor with no other action necessary.

At one time I had a segment of chain near the bitter end of my (rope) rode positioned where chafe would occur, but with a rope segment available to be cut with a knife. Now I have all chain with a rope bitter end (for cutting).
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 17:02   #8

Only one word of warning. Do this only when forced to abandon ship. Do not test this tactic. I know of one sailor who dropped his anchor at sea to clean his chain and locker. He soon discovered his windless couldn't raise the whole chain and had to sail in to shallow waters to be able to retrieve it all. Even there he could only retrieve it in steps.
Old 05-07-2024, 17:18   #9

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

If the boat lasted long enough to wash up on a beach, you abandoned her prematurely.

That being said I think dropping out the anchor would be prudent, but for the amount of blood sweat and tears I have into my boat rebuilding her, if I am abandoning her it will mean I am stepping up into a lifeboat because her decks are awash and she is going down.
Old 05-07-2024, 17:20   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah I mentioned this in the thread about the Morgan that washed up off Florida. He would still have his boat if he had done it IMO. The only thing I can think of to watch out for is letting the chain run too fast and at the end the fitting on the boat is unable to withstand the jolt of stopping say 300' of chain. I had a friend who did not do it on purpose. He had a Cal 40 that broke loose and drifted a few miles before finding shallow water again. That is not exactly what you are asking for but it's the only example I know of where a boat dangling its anchor did not go ashore.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 17:23   #11

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yeah I mentioned this in the thread about the Morgan that washed up off Florida. He would still have his boat if he had done it IMO. The only thing I can think of to watch out for is letting the chain run too fast and at the end the fitting on the boat is unable to withstand the jolt of stopping say 300' of chain.

One of the places I anchor up in Canada is about 250' deep 200' from shore, you have to drop anchor, back up then attach a stern line.

I have witnessed quite a bit of cussing in this anchorage one boat even lost their chain and it was a rental, probably not recoverable because it is around 350' deep where they dropped.
Old 05-07-2024, 17:24   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK JAGUAR View Post
He soon discovered his windless couldn't raise the whole chain and had to sail in to shallow waters to be able to retrieve it all. Even there he could only retrieve it in steps.
This is a very sensible warning. Strictly speaking, this caution should not be necessary. Well specified anchor windlasses should be capable of retreving the total weight of the ground tackle.

In some areas of the world the depths drop off rapidly. Simply dragging can place the boat in the situation where the total length of chain is dangling from the bow. This can be a nightmare if the anchor windlass is not capable of retrieving this weight.
Old 05-07-2024, 18:09   #13

What prompted this post was two boats abandoned on Florida beaches. Both still had their anchors neatly stowed on deck.
Old 05-07-2024, 18:55   #14

I believe that if you require Coast Guard Rescue because you believe lives are in danger, the Coast Guard can require that everyone on the boat abandon ship. Arguments, of course, may result.

I found this from Rakuflames: "I know someone who lost his rudder in heavy seas in the mexico.html" target="_blank">Gulf-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-of-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-Mexico. The Coast Guard took everyone off, would not let him stay behind. They sent him down to open the through holes, and instead he set a transponder to an unused frequency.

He got back to shore, hired a private boat, they followed the transponder, and rescued his boat. But the Coast Guard (to their credit, in rough seas) tried to tow the boat first, even though it had no steering. They couldn't do it.

This person undoubtedly violated some law, but his boat wasn't out there long, it wasn't in a commonly used traffic lane, and he had it back within 24 hours.

Come to think of it, that boat has a Hunter shell. There's that pesky rudder again ..".
Old 06-07-2024, 02:50   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK JAGUAR View Post
... Assuming it's necessary to abandon, why not drop the anchor before leaving the boat? It will either float that way for eternity, or it will set long before being beached. It would be found anchored off shore, safe from rocks, vandals and government. That would GREATLY increase the chances of later saving that boat. It's certainly what I would do if forced off.
I’ve done it.
During the ‘Storm of the century’ [1993], at Governor’s Harbour [Eleuthera], the last thing I did, before abandoning ship, was to cast off [1 or 2?] anchor[s] & chain.
The boat drifted a very short distance, then, the CHAIN [not anchor] wrapped a coral head, and held for several hours, until Captain Fou & I were able to reboard, and tow her to a permanent mooring [which held throughout storm].
Anchor chain saved boat.
See ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...3.html#post553

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...tml#post563673

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor