Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 04:58   #1

Boat: Hanse 508
Fast corrosion waterheater Isotemp 40HXCV

We have big problems with our waterheater. On our Hanse 470e (2007) that boiler is installed above the engine. When there is a leakage in the heating coil the boilerwater dripps into the freshwater cooling system of the engine and the expansion bowl overflows. All our boilers from Indel-Webasto didn't hold longer than 3-4 years, one of them even only 1 year! Now #4 is corroded again after 3 years of use even though we don't heat it electrically to exclude electrolytical processes! This last type even had anodes inside, at least they promised it. So far the company (Indel Webasto Italy) replaced them on warranty or courtesy.
Webasto suspects the water quality to cause this fast corrosion. I don't really think so as we had this phenoneme in four different marinas being our base. (Croatia/Punat & Kastela, Gouvia Marina Greece and Kos Marina). Does anybody with a 470 have similar experiences?
This time the company argues that my warranty has expired long ago even though they give a 5 years warranty on inner corrosion of the stainless steel tank. Quote: "The warranty on our heaters is 5 years from the date of launch of the boat so the warranty for your first heater, and all the replacements after, ended in 2012. We are now in 2017 so we are 5 years over the standard warranty."
I really can't follow this point of view. We must find the mistake, I cannot replace the waterheater every three years! All suggestions are welcome! (Grounding has been tested and no foul current was found).
tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Fast corrosion waterheater Isotemp 40HXCV

Even though you state that grounding has been tested, and no stray current has been found, that should be the #1 suspect. My though is that perhaps either the testing was flawed, or that you did not test under all conditions. For instance, plugged into shore power, genset running, different permutations of power conditions. Test for both stray ac and dc?

Do you have a zinc on the fresh water circuit? How is that zinc. Perhaps you could figure out a way to attach another zinc as close to the heater coil as possible?

I can understand their reluctance to provide any more warranty assistance.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post
We have big problems with our waterheater. On our Hanse 470e (2007) that boiler is installed above the engine. When there is a leakage in the heating coil the boilerwater dripps into the freshwater cooling system of the engine and the expansion bowl overflows. All our boilers from Indel-Webasto didn't hold longer than 3-4 years, one of them even only 1 year! Now #4 is corroded again after 3 years of use even though we don't heat it electrically to exclude electrolytical processes! This last type even had anodes inside, at least they promised it. So far the company (Indel Webasto Italy) replaced them on warranty or courtesy.
Webasto suspects the water quality to cause this fast corrosion. I don't really think so as we had this phenoneme in four different marinas being our base. (Croatia/Punat & Kastela, Gouvia Marina Greece and Kos Marina). Does anybody with a 470 have similar experiences?
This time the company argues that my warranty has expired long ago even though they give a 5 years warranty on inner corrosion of the stainless steel tank. Quote: "The warranty on our heaters is 5 years from the date of launch of the boat so the warranty for your first heater, and all the replacements after, ended in 2012. We are now in 2017 so we are 5 years over the standard warranty."
I really can't follow this point of view. We must find the mistake, I cannot replace the waterheater every three years! All suggestions are welcome! (Grounding has been tested and no foul current was found).
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:52   #3

Re: Fast corrosion waterheater Isotemp 40HXCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post
We have big problems with our waterheater. On our Hanse 470e (2007) that boiler is installed above the engine. >>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Can you relocate it?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boiler, chlorid, corrosion, hanse, indel, water, waterheater, Webasto