Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2019, 11:34   #1

First boat, intermediate sailor.

I've been sailing for 10 years. I started with multiple ASA classes and really threw myself into the art (cruising, not racing). I've rented many times, the last time about a year ago.

I am now in the final stages of buying our first boat for our little family of 5.

My oldest is starting his courses next week (he's 17) and he is very excited.

So, I'm not a novice but certainly humble enough to know there is a lot I dont know or need to practice.

Our first family goal is to sail the channel islands (SoCal).

The question is this - From a skills perspective, what do you wish you had learned (or practiced more) before you bought your first sailboat? What advice would you give me to get ready to cruise safely with the family.
regex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 11:52   #2

Re: First boat, intermediate sailor.

Regex, I'm eagerly looking for replies to your post as I'm in the same exact situation though a bit older as my kids are grown and out of the house. I now reside in Charleston SC and hope to purchase something in the coming year.
smattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 12:03   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

Sailing is the easy part, it’s the systems troublshooting that’ll get you. Everything will eventually fail when it’s least convenient, being able to troubleshoot and solve the issue(s) and knowing them inside and out are what you need to practice the most IMO. Plumber, electrician, carpenter, mechanic, tailor all rolled into one.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 12:30   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Regex, welcome to cruising. It sounds as though you’re making a good start with the experience and courses you have taken.

Buying a first boat is exciting and a bit daunting. I started small and moved up but others successfully started with a good size cruising sailboat. It sounds as though you are buying a boat big enough for your family of 5 to cruise on.

SoCal to Channel Islands can be done with safety and enjoyment on any competently maintained production boat or any blue water passage maker. For your first boat defining your needs and finding a good surveyor are the main things to consider. Weather can be gentle or terrifying but there are good predictions and places to go for shelter. Just watch the weather, read the cruising guides, and read about the area (Diary of a Sea Captain’s Wife by Margaret Eaton).

This is such a beautiful area to sail. I hope your family has wonderful experiences and that this will be just the beginning of your nautical adventures together.

From a skills perspective, I would advise anyone starting out to learn to anchor safely, to do coastal pilotage and to navigate using readily available electronics such as handheld chart plotters. Learn enough about your boat to handle common simple issues including basic battery monitoring, charging and basic electrics. Oh, and do get TowBoat US or one of the tow services. Your not needing to be completely on your own out there and a little help could get expensive without that service.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 13:01   #5

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Your beginning was much like my own - take lessons, charter for a while then buy. We're also a bit later in life and all our kids were adults living on their own when we bought Prime Time.

Main thing I had to learn afterward was how to maintain the boat properly, and to get myself able to do a lot of it myself. I was a bit overwhelmed initially and spent more on having it done in the early years. I've used a mechanic who is willing to show me how to do basic things myself though, and that has helped a lot. That, a lot of reading and a sailing buddy who is a millwright by trade.

The sailing/handling part was not the biggest deal as I'm fairly cautious by nature, and have learned quickly from (bad) experiences.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 13:31   #6

With kids that age, lives are very complicated. Getting everyone available isn't easy. And two or three day trips really aren't much fun because more time is spent loading and unloading than cruising.

We owned a cruising boat when the kids were less than 10 and have owned one since they all left for college. But in those teenage years we spent the money on two 10 day charters a year in the Caribbean and Maine.

The kids still think of those trips fondly and they have come back to cruise with us (when they can get off from work) today.

Those were special times. My older son who was 15 on the first trip still has his GPS waypoints that he used to get us to Anegada (this was before chartplotters).

You should have no trouble qualifying for a Moorings charter in the BVIs of a 40ft mono. If they think your experience is a little light, they'll usually agree if you hire a captain for the first couple of days.

If you really must "own", own a charter boat with the Moorings or another big outfit. We did for five years. It didn't make a great investment return but we didn't lose money - and the charters were essentially free.
CarlF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 13:52   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I am similar as to experience and I bought my first boat this year. After a few months sailing the Chesapeake Bay. I am now in my third month of sailing,mainly singlehanded, in the Bahamas. For me it definitely is the boat systems that I wish I understood more. Tracking down some cables, caring for the batteries without shore power were the biggest hurdles. I bought a much bigger boat than I started shopping for. But the big boat had many features that make singlehanded sailing easier. The sailing, chart reading, anchoring, etc all come quickly.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 16:08   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It sounds like you have the boat, or will have it soon, is that right?
Family of five... hmmm... Is everyone ready, willing and eager to get sailing? I think with my kids it has been important that they know, and practice, how to steer, how to douse the sails in a hurry if needed, how to call on the radio and push the DSC distress button, how to work the engine, where all the emergency equipment is and fire extinguishers are (and they have actually practiced taking the things out pretending to use them, of course,) how to operate the EPIRB or PLB, MOB practice (that one pretty much incorporates all the previous skills, which must be learned first)... you may have thought of all these already... practice scenarios, you know, like, if x happens, what would you do? But then there is other stuff to stay safe for the kids, like, keep your fingers out of sheets and winches and blocks.... if a line pulls too hard, let it go... and with that, how to cleat off a line quickly too... bowlines and square knots are good to have down..(I guess you can tell what kinds of problems THIS dad has had.) Fortunately so far dad is the only one who has gotten injuries, but knowing what CAN happen helps you to know how to prep the kids. It is really important to practice it all but to do so calmly, without instilling paralyzing fear or panic... you can still go sailing and have fun even if you don't know it all perfectly yet IMO. You SHOULD go sailing and have fun even if you don't know it all yet. And skills should be learned and practiced in calm conditions first and then slowly worked up to bigger things and windier days. Pick your weather well and cut trips, or lessons, short while they are still having fun and feeling confident.
Now specific to the Channel Islands I say teach the kids how to paddle or row a raft or kayak correctly so they can do it by themselves and make it back to the boat And if you are going to go far in the dinghy, have a waterproof handheld radio. And go upwind in the morning and then you can come back downwind in the afternoon when the wind is blowing And learn how to anchor! There's probably a thread or two about that somewhere here.....
Not sure if that is the kind of info you were seeking.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 16:52   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by regex View Post
. . . .
The question is this - From a skills perspective, what do you wish you had learned (or practiced more) before you bought your first sailboat? What advice would you give me to get ready to cruise safely with the family.

Where in SoCal? I’m in SD.

Practice man overboard with tennis balls. Teaches a bunch of different skills and the importance of delegating at least 1 person to watch the MoB.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 18:20   #10

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Where in SoCal? I’m in SD.

Practice man overboard with tennis balls. Teaches a bunch of different skills and the importance of delegating at least 1 person to watch the MoB.
Good idea. We practice MOB with watermelons, however. Closer to the visible size of a victim's head and heavy enough to show how difficult it would be to get a person back aboard. Also not that easy to grab, so you have to really control the boat & have it stop.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 18:30   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

I am now in the final stages of buying our first boat for our little family of 5.
As RBK said. Sailing is the easy part. The boat systems are the hard part.
May I suggest you study Marine Survey 101 before you even look at boats.
Old 31-01-2019, 18:19   #12

Quote:
I've been sailing for 10 years. I started with multiple ASA classes and really threw myself into the art (cruising, not racing). I've rented many times, the last time about a year ago.

My oldest is starting his courses next week (he's 17) and he is very excited.

So, I'm not a novice but certainly humble enough to know there is a lot I dont know or need to practice.

Our first family goal is to sail the channel islands (SoCal).

Try and make sure everyone is having fun and are comfortable not getting bored or worse scared.
Start with some nice shorter days going to interesting places.

I had a lot of fun with our first little boat and a family of 5. As my kids got older the fun wore of for them. Which is what I regret. Now they rarely come sailing with me and thier mum.

Our first few voyages are still very happy memories for me though.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail