Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2020, 08:48   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: First Solo Jitters

To be totally frank your biggest challenge will not be casting off the lines and setting off.. nor hoisting the sails and doing the sailing.
It will be on arrival/return to the berth with no one to set your lines and hang your fenders.
Do not leave it to a last minute frenzied dash when you suddenly remember there's no crew to do it..
Hang your fenders and prepare and run your lines before you get to the marina with a line set centrally to tie to a cleat as soon as you step off, this will stop the boat going anywhere while you tie her off properly.
If your going to a mooring all you need is make sure your boathooks handy.
Enjoy the experience..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 08:50   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: First Solo Jitters

It's about planning each action, including contingency plants, and then executing it one step at a time. Give yourself space and time.
Old 21-06-2020, 09:01   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

My advice:

- prepare best one can,
- do nothing that is beyond your ability,
- jump.

Jitters? We all get them. First solo sail or first date.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 09:03   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
With all respects to Major J- I call BS.

NEVER be ready to watch your watch your boat sail off! Your mindset should be on avoiding that. Set your jacklines like your life depended on them (it may). Clip in - and respect (not fear) the ocean.
Snore! You are priceless! Just like Tony Bullimore. Never quit. Bwah-ha-ha

I think we are getting at the same thing by different routes. Major Jeremy was trying to put the fear of god into me by imparting how serious it was to go off solo-sailing and - (if I may generalise about military men) like a military man - was providing me with the worst-case scenario.

As you say, it made me ultra-cautious, always clipped on and generally keeping my head "up and out of the boat" (translation: keeping aware of what's going on around your boat).

Like you, it has kept me safe all these years (when I'm not napping like Snore)!
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 04:51   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

Thank you all! I added a few items to my prep list/cheat sheet thanks to your good advice and encouragement (I've now included my ukelele as I realized I could actually have some fun once at anchor/mooring!).
I went out on a short test run of all systems which revealed a leak that needs addressing, (stuffing box area but this is not just the normal drip....) My handheld VHF also inexplicably died. So....slight delay. Stay tuned!

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 05:46   #21

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hi
Before climbing in to the cockpi from below, clip tether to ring set in forward bulkhead of cockpit. I assume you have three legged tether(s).
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 06:15   #22

Boat: EDELCAT33

I could not ascertain if this first sólo is a day trip, and overnight, or a multi day trip. Or whether is over colder waters, warm waters, or a bay.
Great advice so far from years of experience
Although safety standards apply to all, additional care is needed for a complex trip.
I do a lot of solo sailing and lately as I am getting older and way less flexible, I added a bicycle helmet and gel filled hard knee pads to my arsenal. About 20 years ago on my way to Bahamas I sliced the top of my head when a rogue wave hit the boat and I hit one of the stainless ring in the boom. Wore a bag of ice to stop bleeding, and turn back to Miami and got 21 stitches. Fast forward to this year and while moored I stepped wrong and hit myself again in the head, this time only one staple. That basically sealed for me buying a light airy helmet. The knee pads are a bonus to avoid any bruising.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 13:14   #23

I think Snore has pretty much the most complete advice. I would say just before you cast off, take one more look around to check for things that need doing. I still manage to cast off then remember I need the hood down for best visibility amongst other craft. Also I am invariably anxious and find I get a dry throat as I set off so a cup of water is handy. I always find that once underway my anxiety drifts away.
Andypids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 13:29   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

Avoid embarassments ...

... unplug that DC cable ...

;-) ;-) ;-)

Let us know how it went too!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 15:19   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Update!

That stuffing box sure is a bugger.....It took some big wrenches, a little heat and a lotta courage but I think I have it under control. Oddly there seemed to be no packing when I opened it up. ��I used a dental pick and couldn't come up with anything at all. I added some and bam! it went from rapid drips to very few. I will test it under load and make adjustments as needed. I was super worried about this one as a newbie, such a relief to have that taken care of. The previous threads on this forum re:this repair were enormously helpful, thank you! Sooo...back to checking the calendar and finding the best weather window so I can finally check the solo box.

Old 21-07-2020, 07:48   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Success! After a delay due to family issues, and thanks to some great encouragement and advice I set off…..and returned safely. Small cooler in the cockpit with drinks/snacks (chocolate), pee bucket, tethers in place, electronics fully charged, reef ready...all valuable tips heeded, thank you! I was called to practice tacking, reefing, sail set, anchoring, hoisting, releasing a jammed main halyard, dropping, heaving to, and even MOB (a hat). Losses include an anchor, a face mask, some knuckle skin and half a toenail, a boat hook (and said hat). Total cost maybe $400. Gains? Priceless. When you have to rely on yourself alone the skills and courage somehow appear, and the mistakes made are opportunities for learning. I unexpectedly bumped into old friends, and made new ones (Capt. Felipe from the DR who confirmed my anchor was fouled). Perfect weather, good eats, deep sleep and back home in one piece.
Now….to start the research on best anchor as replacement….

Old 21-07-2020, 08:11   #27

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Thanks for sharing the story. Good luck on the anchor search (plenty of advice in this forum) and on your next adventure.
Old 21-07-2020, 11:00   #28

Love the follow up, it drives me crazy when threads like this die with no follow up : )

I know every time I attempt a scary/difficult feat solo, I always come out the other side with new skills and an improved sense of confidence in my own abilities.
Old 21-07-2020, 12:32   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

First thanks for the update. I can’t count how many folks pick the group’s brain and never let us know how (if) thy made it.

Have fun. Of course now you know the issue with single-handing is that occasionally the crew is incredibly stupid!!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 15:13   #30

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Hang on... somebody SURVIVED our advice?