Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2010, 19:31   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Flaking the Genoa on Deck

I want to do some repairs on my big genny - it's about a 150% I think. I'm sitting at anchor so had to drop it on the deck and flake it there. I did it single handed though I'm not convinced it made much difference. There were some light puffs blowing but not too bad. I thought I could drop it slowly and flake as I went but with the breeze it didn't seem to be working. In the end I dropped and pulled it down without flaking - just content to keep it out of the water. I then found it very challenging flaking and rolling the big sail on deck. Thinking about it after I wondered if I brought the sail inside of the stays, tied the sheet off and brought it down, flaking as I went if it would have worked better?

I'd like to hear how others have accomplished this. When I drop the jib and put the genoa back up I'm hoping for a better result!!!

Thanks.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 19:52   #2

Boat: csy 37
bring the jib sheet inside on the side deck between the cabin and the lifelines. haul the jib sheet tight. then lower the halyard. it really takes two to flake it at this point, one on each end (leech and luff) but it can be done by one with little or no breeze and some fast footwork.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 21:28   #3

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
The trick is to figure out how to control the halyard while you move fore and aft to get the flakes-I do it all the time rarely get perfect flake but good enough to roll up and get below-I also do this under sail to change a sail.sometimes if wind is not to high I do the take down with the jib sail sheeted tight in the hove to(backed) position tight to the wind with autopilot set to wind if you have that option.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 05:33   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Good Old Boat recently had a short article on the subject that pertained to yachts with foils rather than hanks. As described above, this involed pulling the foot of the sail aft between the mast and the shrouds on the lee deck. The author had obtained two somewhat large plastic hand clamps at Lowes or Home Depot and secured each to the tow rail on either side of the bow with short tethers. As the sail was lowered, a fold was lead to either side and laid on top of the previous fold and the clamps used to lock the folds together. Once the sail was pretty nearly fully lowered, the author moved aft and pulled the folds into alignment working forward and rolling the sail up from clew to tack, finally releasing the tack pin and halyard upon reaching within arms length of the bow. The folds were not "Lawn Perfect" but certainly much better than what I've ever accomplished working alone on deck.

FWIW....
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 06:01   #5

Granted my 25 footers 130% genoa is much smaller than yours, but I found that the easiest way to deal with a roller headsail is to roll up the foot as the halyard is eased. Then fold the roll..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 06:13   #6
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hm. Sounds like you need a roller furling. Life is so much easier now we have roller furling!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 08:26   #7

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Easy may be easier but is that always better?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 09:08   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
Hm. Sounds like you need a roller furling. Life is so much easier now we have roller furling!
I do have roller furling which is why I've never had to do this until now. I'm getting ready to do some repairs - another thing I've never done - sewing sails I'm glad to be learning since even with rf being able to do this seems important.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 09:14   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I can flake sails in my sleep with hanks, just pull the sheet tight, head off and drop the halyard, flaking from the leech. But the furling sails are a mess with only one person. I've never gotten something I'd be proud of by myself especailly with any breeze!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 14:20   #10

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
I recently had the same problem to solve in windy Curacao. A friend was supposed to come help, but he overslept. A year earlier singlehanded in (much calmer) Caranero Venezuela I made a pig's arse of it and being the anal retentive I am; later that day I went over in my mind how I would improve the next occassion should it be necessary. Note: I have a centre cockpit which helps.

I unflured the genoa and tied off the roller line at bow cleat. I then undid the tack shackle and loosened the halyard about four feet tying it off at centre cleat. Connected tack shackle to anchor chain then released/ tied off halyard in concecutive three feet lengths which one can quite quickly flake, I used a large boat hook to restrain each fold. Around half way down, with the lower folds reasonable secure, one is able to release the halyard and finishing flaking, with the help if necessary of the boathook.

When finally fully flaked I roll it up to the tack shackle undo and tied.

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa