Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2010, 06:08   #16

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Sorry not being flipant here but if you moving your decisions from say a 50 footer to a 27 footer you need to stop and ask yourself if you have enough experience to know what you want. Most of your power boat experience will be of little use. You may want to crew first on a variety of boats to get an idea what's important to you

Dave
Not a problem. While actively looking at what is available on the market, as well as responding to advice, including that I am receiving on this board. I have decided a practical "starter" boat would be something smaller and easier to handle. My long term plans haven't changed, but I am more focused now on the path I need to take to get where I want. The 50 footer is still on the horizon, but the cost and complexity, (along with learning to sail). Places a mid size boat as a valuble learning tool that is easily affordable, (and of a price I wouldn't feel so bad about hitting a shoal, I've blithly cruised over numerous times in my shallow draft power boat). Also I have made some adjustments on what size of boat I now consider "seaworthy". Coming from a power boat I wouldn't think about going any distance in less than a 50 footer, yet there have been several replies on this board of people crossing oceans in boats little bigger than the sailboat which I have found, that is local, readily available, and imediately affordable. Life is a course of decisions, and often compromises. I don't feel bad about the change of direction, (1. It isn't decided until the inks dry on the contract, 2. It is better to realize a mistake now by armchair than after leaving the dock, 3. This discussion is serving its purpose of getting me more information to eventually make a better decision). I thank everyone for their input, be aware it is being read and heeded. What prompted this is the possibility of relocating to the middle of a prime cruising ground. Having an opportunity to take a leave of absence gives me a chance to relocate under my own steam, (across the Pacific), as well as having a good boat I am familiar with when I get there. It is still a couple of years off, but I like to plan well ahead.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 06:12   #17

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Add to above, ... My decision on which boat to cross the pacific with hasn't changed, I have merely decided to sell the power boat now and spend the next two years practicing sailing on a small sailboat to gain the experience. Anyone who needs crew on the Gulf coast, I am eagerly available.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel