Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2019, 16:20   #16

Re: Genoa getting caught on tacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Your genoa is too big for most conditions, suitable for light airs mostly. I seldom used more than 110 %, and one needs it to be fully unwound. Part furled sails perform poorly.
How can you tell when the genoa is too big? I wasn't feeling overpowered until the headsail got caught. It was mildly gusty and was moving 3-5 knots. Don't really start to feel overpowered until somewhere around 6-7 knots.

Though my headsail is fairly worn, and probably needs to be replaced sometime in the next couple years. No tears or anything, but it's looking a little fuzzy around the edges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Having said that, you need a baffle around your lamp so that the sail is deflected away from it. Thy are usually a circle of stainless steel that goes around under the lamp, but has a space behind it for the mainsail track.
Went by Fisheries today, and they recommended the same thing. Picked up a baffle from there. I have a little bit of climbing gear, and will pick up some ascenders and try to get up the mast sometime this week.
iasonas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa