Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2021, 04:35   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Gulf of Mexico- Shrimp/Fishing vessels

Planning on leaving Marco Island for the Dry Tortugas and noticed a lot of fishing type vessels along the route on Sat AIS. Those with previous experience do they trail long nets/ lines behind? Bad enough dealing with crab floats along the way and to be weary of nets, etc. at night as well..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Gulf of Mexico- Shrimp/Fishing vessels

Been living with them since childhood. Sure, a shrimp boat drags nets, usually 40 ft types. You'll know that they are "down" because you don't see the nets hanging in the air and the outrigger booms are out rather than up. In some water you can see the stirred up mud from the net. Just give them a long gap behind, and do not expect them to get out of your way. They only make 2-3 knots, and can steer only in wide arcs. If you treat them as islands to avoid, they are not a problem.

I've only had two conficts with them, one when I had a research net down myself and a skipper decided I was in his private fishing reserve, and another when I came up behind a shrimper who was dragging net in the channel at night. They are the 18 wheelers of the water; treat them with respect.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
They are the 18 wheelers of the water; treat them with respect.
+1

Thanks for that, tkeithlu.

Fishermen are hard-working and increasingly unappreciated people whose work tangibly puts food on our priviledged plates.

Not that you wouldn't be treating them with respect, AA3JY, it's just good for us cruisers to be reminded occasionally.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:21   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I've been through the area several times and don't recall seeing any shrimpers. They seem more concentrated around the Tampa Bay entrance.

I have seen loads of trap boats though. They start coming down from Everglades City and enter the Gulf at Indian Key Pass, usually around 4:00 am.

You can't miss them, they are shining huge high powered lights on the pilothouse and sound like a jet.........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:24   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Thanks..familiar with the shrimpers along the Ga. coast not in the Gulf.Easnt sure how long their nets or lines they are trailing behind..have visions of Long Liners��
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:51   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

The 2 times I have gone through there was no fishing boat issues. Most of the ones I saw were just anchored. Overall I would rate that trip much lower on the fishing boat avoidance dance than many many many other places.

In other words you have lots of experience and shouldn't worry about it beyond the "normal".
Old 12-03-2021, 08:52   #7

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Been living with them since childhood. Sure, a shrimp boat drags nets, usually 40 ft types. You'll know that they are "down" because you don't see the nets hanging in the air and the outrigger booms are out rather than up. In some water you can see the stirred up mud from the net. Just give them a long gap behind, and do not expect them to get out of your way. They only make 2-3 knots, and can steer only in wide arcs. If you treat them as islands to avoid, they are not a problem.

I've only had two conficts with them, one when I had a research net down myself and a skipper decided I was in his private fishing reserve, and another when I came up behind a shrimper who was dragging net in the channel at night. They are the 18 wheelers of the water; treat them with respect.
Used to trade beer and whisky for fish and shrimp with the fish/shrimp boats anchored at the Tortugas. Always got great fish and shrimp from them.
Most are good folks.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:23   #8

Boat: Pearson 10M

"Most are good folks."
That's an accurate opinion in my experience.
Unconditional deference to fishermen, NO WAY, I've seen too many incidents to give them all a pass.
There was the time I was diving with a friend, I popped up to the surface just in time to see a lobsterman make a 90 degree turn from his course to run down my buddies dive flag, he then returned to his course and picked up his next line of traps. This was intentional.

Most are good folks, but just like the rest of society some are entitled, selfish polluting slobs.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:58   #9

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Thanks..familiar with the shrimpers along the Ga. coast not in the Gulf.Easnt sure how long their nets or lines they are trailing behind..have visions of Long Liners��
Warning!!! If you see Lieutenant Dan hanging off the top mast, you'll know who's steering the boat - I'd give it a wide berth
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:35   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Exclamation Re: Gulf of Mexico- Shrimp/Fishing vessels

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
+1

Thanks for that, tkeithlu.

Fishermen are hard-working and increasingly unappreciated people whose work tangibly puts food on our priviledged plates.

Not that you wouldn't be treating them with respect, AA3JY, it's just good for us cruisers to be reminded occasionally.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
I'm afraid shrimping is a dying industry in the US. Frozen from Asia has driven them out. It's $ driven and no one seems to care about the taste of the product enough to pay for it. So give them a break.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:39   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I've been through the area several times and don't recall seeing any shrimpers. They seem more concentrated around the Tampa Bay entrance.

I have seen loads of trap boats though. They start coming down from Everglades City and enter the Gulf at Indian Key Pass, usually around 4:00 am.

You can't miss them, they are shining huge high powered lights on the pilothouse and sound like a jet.........
In the right time there are loads of them + the traps.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:40   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
Used to trade beer and whisky for fish and shrimp with the fish/shrimp boats anchored at the Tortugas. Always got great fish and shrimp from them.

Most are good folks.

M
Yes so did I, but last time I was there the rangers were frowning on that.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:46   #13

I find the use of the word "privileged", in one of the replies, offensive.
WillyTheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:51   #14

Remember “ green over white shrimping at night” and they are lit up like the Super Bowl anyway...
auwekamanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 05:13   #15

Boat: Contessa 32

Be aware the shrimpers also run in the upper GOM ICW.

I’ve never seen them run at night but Ihave encountered them during the day running
between Corpus Christi and Galveston. They stay
out of mid channel for obvious reasons. One of
which is the 1000’ long barges that frequent that
run between the refineries in those two ports.

Their slow speed and straight course makes it easy to
avoid them. The ICW somewhat restricts passing room and the trawl nets are pulled to each side of the boat as well as to the rear. This is usually not a problem unless you are passing one at the same time as an oncoming barge��.

Be aware that passing rules don’t always apply especially in ICW bends. Most of the boats have and will communicate with you; however, I’ve never encountered one with AIS.

Just sayin
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, fishing, gulf of mexico, Mexico