Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2019, 13:33   #16

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Re: Halyard replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
Electrical taping halyard ends together works great up to the point when one slips the tape. Then the real fun and excitement begins.
With internally run lines you either drop the mast or spend hours in a bosum's chair dangling a weight on a fishing line while someone with a crochet hook tries to fish it out the lower exit hole. Make sure the weight doesn't wrap other lines (electrical too) or you end up with chafing and squealing inside the mast.

Fond memories I assure you!!

I prep both lines with duct tape, cut and burn each end. Then butt them together and sew them making a minimum of 6 complete stitches. The stitches are placed about 1/4 in past the burnt ends and all go through duct tape for added strength. Never had any issues with this method.
My easy method of joining: take a piece of thin stainless TIG welding filler rod, form it into something akin to a paper clip, thread two rope ends onto it and haul it through, been doing that for years, never ever had one let go.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 14:32   #17

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

The one time I had halyards made for me (I wasn't near the boat and needed to sail immediately upon arrival) was in Auckland. The whipping they did at the non-spliced end had several loops sewn in, leaving a tiny "handle" at the end of the rope. It was perfect to tie a 4mm messenger line on with a bowline and pull through. I do that on one end of my lines now, it's a great idea.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 15:37   #18

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

As there was no way I could get at the pulley inside the boom, I didnt even know what it was connected too,
I pulled the screwed end off the boom, Found out what had to be done,

The rope thru the boom was long enough, It hadnt been cut off, It still had a Burned end on it and the spliced end was beyond me,
So I went and asked a woman with a boat further up the yard and she showed me how to tie a bowline to replace the spliced end,
I told you Im not good on ropes,

But I gave the rope a good thorough wash in soapy water and it came up like brand new again, so I put it back in the boom, Using the spliced end,

I stood the Boom on its end vertically, I had the two leaders inside pulled tite so they didnt interfere with the rope being dropped down the inside of the boom,
Making sure they were straight, I didnt want them tangled inside the boom, Getting the rope back in was going to be hard enough without tangled ropes inside the boom,

Then it was just a matter of poking the rope out through the pulley at the bottom with a very thin wire,
That took a while as there is no room in there and you cant see the end of the rope, It was poke poke poke and hope for the best,
I finally got it back in and the boom is back together again,

The first two ropes, I put a thin wire thru the ends and taped them, But the joiner wire didnt like going thru the pulleys,
The third rope I was being lazy as the first two ropes when thru rather easily except thru the pulleys, I just taped the ends together, Thats when the problem started, The two ropes parted from the tape,
That will teach me not to be lazy and do it properly,
Thanks all for your help, Much appreciated,

Cheers, Brian,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat, Boom, 007.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	199822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat, Boom, 003.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	407.4 KB