Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2020, 04:30   #1

Boat: Elan 40
Have you ever wondered the water velocity in waves?

Hi,

Using e.g. Airy's equations one can calculate that the water particle speed on the crest may be many m/s and equally in the trough it may be many m/s in the opposite direction. Also water accelerations are large.

To my knowledge, the effect of horizontal velocity of water is hardly ever explained in textbooks or in sailing theory of sailing in waves. Is it because it is negligible or because it is not understood?
tuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Have you ever wondered the water velocity in waves?

Perhaps because there is little effect on a sailboat. Water, as a wave passes, indeed moves with and then against the direction of the wave, such that a molecule in the wave traces an upright oval pattern. The boat going against waves does indeed get hit by the water moving against it, it's called hitting a wave, and our boats are designed to minimize that effect by being narrow and sharp. You definitely feel this motion in the rudder. Combining the effect of a series of waves becomes almost neutral, with each "hit" followed by a "push".
Old 05-11-2020, 05:45   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

By the way, tuomas, that was a very interesting question. Thank you for posting it.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:11   #4

Let me give you some calculations based on linear theory: in the Baltic sea (size of Great Lakes) you might get 2m/s flow on a crest and -2 m/s in a trough. if your speed is 5 kn (2.5 m/s) close hauled your keel would see alternating flow of +4 m/s aoa +35 deg and 0.5 m/s aoa -35 deg. with the phase speed of 8 m/s you would only spend a second or so in this situation, so the weight of the boat most likely filters this effectively. when running you get longer periods and them you feel it. In close hauled the flow stabilizes the boat as it turns you correctly upwind when climbing and downwind when falling but on running it works the other way around and tries to destroy your course. In fact this also explains why a boat seems to stop on a crest and then fall to the trough if you fo not turn it. Well, academic thinking but very interesting explanation for phenomena in the waves.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:22   #5

Boat: Hunter 37C
Have you ever wondered the water velocity in waves?

Very thought provoking...you got me sitting thinking deeply in a new way about the waves I experience daily.
I would think boat builders think of this when designing hulls. I know there is an optimal waterline flow pattern (not sure I’m saying the right terms here). Basically the wave pattern at the waterline does have an optimal pattern and hull design can help or hinder that flow which correlates to the boats efficiency thus speed.
I don’t know if they use math to figure it out or just the human eye and water flow tests against a model.
Now all of that info has come from a guy I know who designs TP boats and catamarans. So it’s not my info and I could have misunderstood.
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:44   #6

And also note that in the half depth of the keel, say 1 m, the velocities are 90% of the surface velocities so the whole keel feels this.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:00   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"And also note that in the half depth of the keel, say 1 m, the velocities are 90% of the surface velocities so the whole keel feels this."

Doesn't that depend on the height of the wave?
Old 05-11-2020, 10:59   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuomas View Post
Hi,

Using e.g. Airy's equations one can calculate that the water particle speed on the crest may be many m/s and equally in the trough it may be many m/s in the opposite direction. Also water accelerations are large.

To my knowledge, the effect of horizontal velocity of water is hardly ever explained in textbooks or in sailing theory of sailing in waves. Is it because it is negligible or because it is not understood?
You can calculate it by the no. of brown stains in your skivies when surfing down the face of one.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 13:58   #9

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I tried to find good information on this not long ago. Not just horizontal flow but vertical speeds and at what depths. I couldn't find any worthwhile information. I even asked on here but had no luck.

I used best guestimates based on wave speeds of 15kn at various heights and steepness of wave faces. It becomes very complex (and for my maths probably a high degree of inaccuracy) when you add in the curvature leading into and out of the wells and crests. That's without surface wind/water speeds, currents, underwater topography......
Old 05-11-2020, 14:34   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I tried to find good information on this not long ago. Not just horizontal flow but vertical speeds and at what depths. I couldn't find any worthwhile information. I even asked on here but had no luck.

I used best guestimates based on wave speeds of 15kn at various heights and steepness of wave faces. It becomes very complex (and for my maths probably a high degree of inaccuracy) when you add in the curvature leading into and out of the wells and crests. That's without surface wind/water speeds, currents, underwater topography......
I think you nailed it. The variables are infinite.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water