Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2023, 10:52   #46

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Heavily Fouled Rope Rode - Tips and Tricks?

or, even better, just learn to love the smell and slime.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 08:54   #47

Boat: 1984 Rhodes 22

I use the washing machine trick on dock lines every year (we have a slip so the rope rode isn't fouled, but I double up the dock lines when a blow is expected, and some times parts will soak for a week or two in brackish water). I soak them good in dilute Mr. Clean and Tide laundry detergent first (like 24 hrs), and brush them with a soft brush where they are a tad gooey; and make sure you bag them for the wash cycle or the cover can unravel at the splice a bit. I sue the delicate cycle, Tide, and Downy for the washing machine. If you don't have a net bag big enough I have used a spare pillowcase but it wasn't as successful. If they do unravel a bit, then, well, it was time for a new one. Inspect them when dry and then decide.

If it was my rode and I was going to leave her on the hook for a long time during the year, I would probably just replace it. But since ours is largely just used for lunch or an overnight in a protected cove here on the Chesapeake, I just give it a kiss every year and tell it to behave.
edexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 09:28   #48

I change my mooring lines about once per year. They are heavily encrusted by then. I leave the old ones out in the driveway & let them get rained on for about a month. After that, the marine growth just sort of falls off or is easily removed with a stiff brush.

If the line stinks too much when it's in the driveway, I put a few ounces of bleach in a 5 gallon bucket of water & soak it for a few hours. That kills off all the death stench. A weak solution of bleach like that has not had any serious impact on the rope that I have noticed. I have done this for years.

After the crud is off, I inspect the line & decide what to do with it. Usually it gets used for less important tasks. Sometimes it gets thrown out.

Typically, after a year, Nylon line appears to be in about 75% condition. and polypropylene appears to be a little better than that. Dyneema looks better than polypropylene, but I don't trust it after too many months in the sun.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rode, rope