Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2015, 04:47   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: heaving to, how to ? a question of chafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Oh, designers like Phillip Rhodes and Mr.Perry etc. etc. were just not up to speed. I wish they had been.
Yeah, you'd thunk such distinguished designers would know better! ;-)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 05:36   #32
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yeah, you'd thunk such distinguished designers would know better! ;-)
No one has designed a wider variety of boats than Mr. Perry...

2 of his finest designs IMHO that immediately come to mind - the Valiant 42 and the Nordic 44 - both feature slotted aluminum toerails...

Different horses for different courses, obviously few people are gonna slap a "Canadian picket fence" on a Hinckley...

;-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 06:25   #33

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I may be totally wrong, probably am, but on my Cabo cutter I don't find any headsail needed to heave to. I flatten the main, however much I have up, and center it. A little bit of rudder and I'm stopped.

Granted I've not used this method in more than 30 kt. In that instance I spent 2-3 hrs and according to the chart plotter I drifted about 0.5 mm.

Maybe because I'm full keel and a true cutter with the mast a bit aft of a sloop?

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Each boat is different and requires a differing technique, which must be refined by experimentation. I love heaving to and use it a lot, and have done with many differing craft. I find, as you suggest, that on a cutter rig is is likely that there is sufficient windage forward to heave to without any sail whatever. This is particularly the case if the sails are left up and furled on a rollreef system. Something to bear in mind if ever in super severe weather and forced to drop them off the foils… In any case I find that furled headsails and 30 to 50% main (dependent of wind strength), high tracked and barberhauled to windward works on my cutter… I am actually in the process of having a spitfire style riding sail made for the backstay to increase windage aft just a little while hove to, to point the nose just that wee bit higher and stop her sneaking out from behind the slick. This general system also avoids the chafe issue.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 03:06   #34

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Really . . . You have been multiple times in hurricane force winds? Those conditions are pretty rare.

And your multiple fin keel boats did not fore reach in 50kts . . . . Odd.
yes I have.

No they didn't (trysail only sheeted hard to weather).

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote