Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2023, 07:40   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Heaving to vs. fore reaching: defining characteristics

Again it has a lot to do with keel shape and even boat shape/type.

Before the 1968 GGR, Bernard Moitessier and his wife were about to lose their boat near Cape Horn when he remembered something he had read and decided to pull in his 700' of Warp and his drogue and let his 39' boat Joshua surf down the face of the huge waves so as not to take such a beating from breaking waves.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

In a similar situation, Robin Knox-Johnson on his 32' wooden boat Suhaili was about to lose his boat when he decided to drag a long Warp and also possibly a drogue behind his boat. He said the boat did fine after that.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 08:20   #17

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Boats are not all the same. My experience with the Beneteau 456 was that if you backwinded the jib the bow would just fall off. I tried furling more and more jib, and the best result was to furl it completely.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 08:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Understood.

It's that "usually downwind" part that I'm inquiring about. If, when attempting to heave to, one does not end up drifting downwind, what changes to the sails would one attempt in order to go from making headway to making leeway? Reducing the size of the jib? or the main? or both? Why? I'd like to understand the principles behind what effect these changes would have on how a boat would heave to in heavy weather.
In reading a little bit more of the Pardeys, they used a small storm tri-sail so probably reducing jib. My boat has a giant Genoa as does my friends sailboat and both make headway to windward at 1-2 kts when hove to. we havn't practices a lot with sails and usually just ease off the main, but we are only having lunch not storm sailing.
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 10:24   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ORCA View Post
In reading a little bit more of the Pardeys, they used a small storm tri-sail so probably reducing jib. My boat has a giant Genoa as does my friends sailboat and both make headway to windward at 1-2 kts when hove to. we havn't practices a lot with sails and usually just ease off the main, but we are only having lunch not storm sailing.
Yeah, my Catalina 25 with genoa required me to furl the jib so only about 1/3 was left exposed. With the full jib out, the boat would oscillate significantly, never really stabilizing, and continuing to make too much forward progress. With the much smaller amount of jib, she would settle down when hove to. It was reading another thread on this forum that encouraged me to try that in the first place.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 13:48   #20

Boat: Mirage 35

We heave to regularly for short periods, having learned that doing so makes reefing the main considerably less stressful. The boat stays nice and stable through the exercise with the small jib up front (if we're reefing it's unlikely we'll have the genoa on) but continues to make maybe 1 kt headway.

We haven't spent any time playing with it to see how much this can be controlled because it's not an issue for our purposes.
Old 16-10-2023, 14:17   #21

Boat: Finnsailer 38

As others have noted, you have to try various things on your boat to find out what the best combination of sails, etc. will do, but in my experience things become very different when the wind is howling, the seas are big and breaking, and adjusting everything becomes harder to do. You often find that what works heaving-to at say 25 knots does not work at 40 knots. We owned a 32-foot cruising cat once, and I discovered mostly through trial and error that with a double or triple reefed main up and sheeted in pretty hard she would forereach herself along slowly in pretty rough conditions, sometimes coming up a bit in puffs and then falling off a bit in lulls. She would do that for long periods of time. I've had monos that sailed quite well under main alone, even heavily reefed, making that a nice sailplan to slowly jog along in heavy air even using the autopilot. In my experience it is hard to achieve with modern boats that magical heaving-to we read about in the classic cruising books.
Old 16-10-2023, 14:45   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post

Heaving to: Passive technique (helm can be left untended). Jib backwinded, main eased, helm locked to windward, boat pointing ~40-60 deg. into the wind, boat slowly makes leeway with a slick trailing to windward off the bow.

Nope. If that was the case you'd be going backwards and you're not. You are still moving forward somewhat while slipping to leeward, but the slick is off your aft quarter. I've been heaving to since 1983 on our Catalina 22 SRSK, then a Catalina 25 SRFK, and our C34.

Some should also learn the differences between:

to
too
and
two

Like:
there
their
and
they're
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 14:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

to
too
and
two

Like:
there
their
and
they're
Some should chill out on people's quick internet posts also.

Most folks are usually in a hurry and may miss a letter or two when posting or they are new at sailing and don't quite know the lingo.

And Btw old full/cutaway keel boats are always the easiest to Heave Too on.

In the 1968 GGR, Nigel Tetley on his 42' trimaran Victress found that Laying a Hull worked best in the Southern Ocean.

https://www.google.com/search?sca_es...57m508EhSITWzM
Old 16-10-2023, 14:58   #24

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Some should chill out on people's quick internet posts also.

Most folks are usually in a hurry and may miss a letter or two when posting or they are new at sailing and don't quite know the lingo.

And Btw old full/cutaway keel boats are always the easiest to Heave Too on.

In the 1968 GGR, Nigel Tetley on his 40'+ trimaran Victress found that Laying a Hull worked best in the Southern Ocean.
+1

Among other changes since retirement, I've noticed that both my typing and my spelling are a lot sloppier than they used to be. And I don't care.
Old 16-10-2023, 15:59   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I wanted to add one other factor about fore-reaching. It is perhaps a personality thing, but if you heave to, you may awaken to find yourself a long ways (50 n. mi. or more) from where you wanted to be, whereas if you continue to head towards your destination, you actually make progress, although slowly. It suits me better. (And yes, I'm also a string puller.)

Ann
Old 16-10-2023, 17:16   #26
JPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Nope. If that was the case you'd be going backwards and you're not. You are still moving forward somewhat while slipping to leeward, but the slick is off your aft quarter. I've been heaving to since 1983 on our Catalina 22 SRSK, then a Catalina 25 SRFK, and our C34.

to
too
and
two

Like:
there
their
and
they're
I am unsure if all of this was directed at me, but I will disagree with you on several points. First off, this is straight from Tom Cunliffe's excellent book "Living Through The Gale." Per Tom's diagram, the boat is, in fact, slipping backward while it is also being blown to leeward. I'm happy for you that you've been heaving to in a way that works for you since 1983, but this is not the technique that I'm asking about.

Secondly, "heaving to" is the correct term. Not heaving too, or heaving two or any other such nonsense. Not sure what your point was with all of that, but I will agree with the others here that nobody appreciates the grammar police.
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 17:16   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Heaving to vs. fore reaching: defining characteristics

Unless the winds blowing in the direction you want to go.. in which case you change tack every day or so to keep yourself reversing in the direction of where you want to arrive..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2023, 03:50   #28

Good Old Boat Article on Heaving to:

https://goodoldboat.com/heave-to/

Plus a nice photo of a solar panel mounted on the stern railing.
Old 17-10-2023, 05:18   #29

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Great article!
Quote:
Good Old Boat Article on Heaving to:

https://goodoldboat.com/heave-to/
Older boats, especially those with full keels, easily lend themselves to heaving to. The underwater hull form is more forgiving with low aspect ratio foils that are difficult to stall. They provide consistent influence, or grip, on the water around them, enabling a position to be more easily held to the sea. A traditional hull shape also provides more drag when moving sideways through the water, controlling the rate of drift and developing a more influential slick to weather. Furthermore, older hulls feature more wetted surface area. This creates added resistance to moving forward, keeping the vessel hove to instead of forereaching.
Old 17-10-2023, 09:28   #30

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
He got a Luders 33 to go 16 knots! See? Hull speed is entirely theoretical! Or maybe our old school boats have found the secret way to beat the physics!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote