Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 10:41   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Heeling

Scared of heeling?

Pussy sailors ;-)

Really. As others said, not much to do with speed. A boat may heel just as you step onboard (small boat, big guy) or at rest with a strong puff hitting an otherwise 'static' boat.

Boats that accelerate easily (racers) get less heel from puffs (more puff energy goes into forward speed, less into the heeling moment).

Speed may in effect, help. (Think about the hydrodynamic righting moment ).

etc

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:41   #17

Boat: Able 50

CF provides a mine of information, some of it useful.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:46   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Angle of heel has nothing to do with wind speed and everything to do with how much sail you are carrying at the time. Get out there and experiment with different sail combinations.

That boat's hull speed is 6.8 knots.

One tip: older skinny boats are quite happy heeling more than the newer fat boats
And his looks a bit narrow/skinny for a boat that long so he can expect 20 degrees or so of heal carrying normal sail when the breeze is in the high teens nearing 20 knots.

My boat has an 8' beam and steadies up in those conditions at about 20-25 degrees of heal.

At that point, it's a smooth ride just at an angle.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:51   #19

This boat should be totally happy at 20 degrees heel. I would expect it to start losing the plot around 25 degrees.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:36   #20

Boat: 41ft morgan

Ok not scared of heeling, just trying to get estimates, and yeah i bought it without sailing it first (omg i gambled some) my choice get over it lol. Everyone i talked to said the warrior would be a good buy for my first blue water cruiser, i got a 35ft boat with yanmar 3g30 and no other problems than needing bottom repainted. All for 3,000, So i jumped all over it. Just lurking and gathering information till i finish bottom...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Milfordadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:59   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

Looking at her lines and ballast ratio I will tell you one of those boats that heel A LOT early on then get into their groove and stiffen up.

Expect sailing somewhat on the ear and rolling downwind abominably. Nothing wrong just what these designs are like.

Still, you can`t beat our boat in heeling early and rolling downwind ;-) so I will say you have a great boat to make some fabulous passages with.

TIPS AND TRICKS: upwind you want clean new flattish sails. Rather tall than long in the foot; downwind you want to sail somewhat pressing her - this is better than going under-canvassed, for this style of the hull.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:30   #22

Here's a little example of a downwind ride when it's breezin up a bit! (Coastal Cruising)

I'm sure your boat will ride better than mine but this will give you and idea of the rolling motion of a downwind ride. Wind is at 22 and headed to 30 before it subsides. The good news is it lasted for 4 hours and got me down the Chesapeake Bay quite fast

I'm absorbing some of the motion at first but you can see it better as the video goes on. I have one reef in

Old 09-08-2016, 12:35   #23

Was there a spinnaker up during that clip ?
Old 09-08-2016, 12:35   #24

Boat: Alberg #0

Your boat is what is referred to as initially tender. Mine too. It will initially heel more, then settle down to a more appropriate angle.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:43   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Was there a spinnaker up during that clip ?
No but I had the jib which was maybe 120% all the way out with one reef in the main. It was more of a broad reach than dead downwind although later when the wind picked up more I'd head downwind when I could hear the waves breaking near the stern. I didn't have a lot of room though to the East before running aground. AP wouldn't keep up after a certain point so I just drove

I almost ran aground getting out of Onancock Creek and had to use the mainsail to assist my 5 HP outboard. Wind is NW from a front that passed in the night.

I passed near the Rappahannock Light Buoy and it had the winds from 24-30 mph for 4 hours I found out afterwards. I was anchored at Kiptopeake by 3 pm

The boat hit 7.5 knots and was holding speeds around 6.5 consistantly.

I was just holding on from blowing chunks possibly due to a hangover plus not quite used to the motion yet. And almost no sleep for 3 days
Old 09-08-2016, 12:46   #26

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milfordadkins View Post
So i have an almost 6ft keel on my 35ft warrior, at what speed will it begin to heel noticeably? Rough estimate

As someone who enjoys his old skinny boat and the way it heels, my question is, "why do you ask?" Is it your concern or someone who you plan to take with you? In any case you should notice it heeling at least one degree as soon as there is a breeze! Judging by the specs it looks like a good design. Most boats preform best when heeled at 15 degrees or so. Mine likes 20 but I will probably let it go to 25 before reefing, being a bit on the lazy side.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 13:41   #27

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

How much heel is enough/too much/ etc etc has always been an intriguing subject.

Some heel increased waterline, thus speed.

Too much heel loses sail area and decreases rudder bite, thus loses speed.

Then I installed an automatic excessive heel sensor and alarm (aka wife, GF, SO) and now I get an audible indication of excessive heel and notification of the need to reef.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 13:45   #28

Boat: 41ft morgan

Yeah, girlfriend has never been on a boat lol. She is chomping at the bit to get a trip jn this coming summer. Just curious and looking for some info on the boat style. Can't find a lot of info on the warriors. Just basic sailboat data stuff

Milfordadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 14:26   #29

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milfordadkins View Post
Yeah, girlfriend has never been on a boat lol. She is chomping at the bit to get a trip jn this coming summer. Just curious and looking for some info on the boat style. Can't find a lot of info on the warriors. Just basic sailboat data stuff

Since it is a UK boat you may have some luck getting more info at this site, it's run by a gentleman from England:
The Sailboat Fanatics' Favourite Information Resource
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 16:51   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
So you own this boat and sail it yet you don't know at what speed and in what conditions it heels?
See post #8
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote