Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2021, 15:29   #61

Boat: Bavaria 36'
Re: Helm control while docking

Single handed docking is fine if your finger pontoon is longer than your boat. Ours is about 8 feet short. In many places such as France the fingers are half the length of of the boat at about 20 feet.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 15:57   #62

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Giles View Post
Single handed docking is fine if your finger pontoon is longer than your boat. Ours is about 8 feet short. In many places such as France the fingers are half the length of of the boat at about 20 feet.

Would a midship cleat move the dockline further forward on the boat,so that this midship line is placed on the outer end dock cleat.This would stop forward movement & place the hull alongside the dock with the midship now abreast of & tied to the outer end of dock-temporarily replacing the stern line.Similar to this video,except you use a very short midship line.

Cheers/Len

Old 11-08-2021, 23:29   #63

I have an identical hull.

If you are single handed and can dock bow first, that is your best solution.

If there is no pontoon between your boat and the ones either side, and if you have their agreement and they are not going out, leave your docking lines on their boats so they are easy to get.

If there is plenty of space before your dock try starting going in reverse some distance from the dock. Once you get going you will find you can steer in reverse,. This needs practise. Angle the boat at the start to allow for prop walk.

If you have cross winds at the pontoon, as I do, then it is best to dock bow first, or get bow thrusters. I cannot stress the difference bow thruster have made to my docking in reverse. Even in strong cross winds. With bow thrusters while going in reverse, do not use the rudder but only the thrusters.
peterbeale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:46   #64

Boat: Bavaria 36'

In fact that is what we do two handed. The issue is single handed as I am not as nimble as I was, 77 and slowing down a bit.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 09:51   #65

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

To the OP, I have the same underwater profile as you. Our boats will do a pretty decent standing turn in either direction (though stbd is tighter) if you put the helm all the way over, and kick with the engine for 3 seconds forward, followed by 3 seconds reverse. Don't bother reversing the rudder in reverse, even if you start to go backwards. Our boats aren't controllable in reverse worth a damn.

I come to a complete stop with my bow in the approx center of the neighboring slip, and begin my standing turn. I'm easily lined up with the slip (after 2-3 kicks) within 1/2 boat length... then with gentle forward, rudder amid, you'll kill all angular momentum on a dime with that keel.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Docking, dock, helm