Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2018, 09:07   #76

Re: Help Heaving to on my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
On this kinda silly "how to tell the steersman where to go" argument,on our boat we will say "go right x degrees" or "come up x degrees" and so on. On our boat, and I bet on most other cruising boats, the person steering already knows damn well which way to turn the wheel or push the tiller to make the maneuver, and approximately how much movement will be required. We're sailors after all...

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Yes, common sense imagine that. The speed humps we trip over here is amazing at times... Grrrrrrrr.
Dale and Jim, I respectfully disagree. Strongly. However, I think this is off-topic, so I started my own thread...
Sailing Terms That Seem Backwards and Confusing - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 10:03   #77
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help Heaving to on my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Right, after I posted I thought more, and then realized the only really clear commands or descriptions are the rudder positions. But I'm not sure of the correct terminology. It is clear for power boats and ships, where either Port or Starboard is used to describe rudder angle, usually like "port 10 degrees rudder". But for a sailboat, what is the right terms for rudder when you need to refer to the wind direction? Something like "rudder to weather 20 degrees" would seem to work for me. In that case both rudder and the boat will be turning into the wind.
Folks can use whatever term they wish to use on their boats.. for example I will say 10* Port.. at which point my crew will hit the 10*Port button on the AP/TP..
If I call out 'Evasion Starboard' they will hit the combination that turns the boat 90* to Starboard..
If I decide to heave to I don't need to give any orders.. I'm doing it.
If anyone misunderstood what 3/4 helm means in a heave to situation maybe its time they took sailing lessons.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 17:35   #78

Boat: Oyster 435

Just downloaded the Storm Survival book from Steve Dashew. Looks like a very good read and will probably give me more than enough info for my next big sea down here. Thanks for the link.
I had the Pardey's and Hal Roth's books both out during the first gale to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I hate to admit it given the second theme this thread has taken on but I did have to really think about what they meant when they were talking about lashing the helm to leeward. Im going to assume this had nothing to do with confusing terminology but was more related to my sleep deprived and well jostled brain.
Thanks
Gary
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 18:14   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
On tacking: On my boat, we say "Ready about?" "Ready!" "Prepare to come about!" "Helm hard alee!" "Blow the sheet -- now!" "Haul away, go go go!" But tacking is so easy on my boat (staysail is self-tacking; boat flies through the wind; electric winches) that it's hardly necessary to say anything other than "Shall we tack now? OK, here we go!". But I like the ritual.
As a kid in the UK, I was taught - "Ready About... Lee-Oh"

Nowadays, where we have multinational* crews we generally use: "Ready to tack?" "Tacking!".

With a newbie on a headsail sheet, it's not unusual to also hear additional instructions to them: "hold it... hold it.... now!"

*Amusing aside. A frenchman who has raced with use for the last couple of years is an experienced sailor, but his English is not that good (still a lot better than my french ).

One weekend we talked about using a "barber haul" and explained to him what it was. He obviously converted the name into concepts rather than just remembering the words. The next race, it took a while to work out what he meant by a "moustach pull"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat