Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2017, 05:56   #1

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'
Hi folks ...

Hi folks, Chris Scott here...

I've posted some, but without any introduction - I love the expertise on this forum. I am a sailor of sorts, having sailed many small boats over the years, mainly daysailers, on lake Huron, several smaller lakes, and in the Florida keys.

I've significant experience in a C-dory, and flew planes for years. But I have zero heavy weather sailing experience. My boat is 28 feet, 7800 lbs with 3000 lb keel - drawing 3.6 feet, plus pivot-down steel centerboard - an additional 3 feet.

This boat is obviously not the best choice for a circumnavigation, but my goals are more modest; to singlehand from Panama City, FL to Tampa, then to the keys. Then putt around the keys.

My wife likes the boat but is less enthusiastic about overnight passages. I have autopilot, a class B AIS, chartplotter with sonar, and radar with a watch function - because I must sleep some during the passage. But I am short on ocean experience.

Question: If during the passage, the forecast becomes 40 knots of wind in 12 hours, would it be better to head for deeper water and heave to, or scoot inshore to the nearest (scarce) anchorage?

I worry about Breaking waves. Any other advice is most welcome.

Chris
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 07:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Hi folks ...

Hi Chris,

Either option could be viable. With enough warning and a safe, easy entrance to a harbor I would prefer the first. Just be aware that strong winds and large waves can make some harbor entrances unsafe.

However, on the trip you mention you should be able to get an accurate enough weather forecast that you shouldn't encounter weather like that. Cruise down the coast from PC to Apalachicola then jump off from there to Cedar Key or Crystal River area. You should be able to do that in a day or easy overnight. Try to time the trip so you make the arrival in good light.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 07:30   #3

Thanks, I forgot to mention I have ssb for wx.
Old 15-11-2017, 08:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post
Thanks, I forgot to mention I have ssb for wx.
Even better with SSB but still, checking weather carefully before leaving should give you at least 2-3 day reliable forecast. That should be plenty of time to jump across the Big Bend of FL to reach the next area of inlets, harbors and safe anchorage.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 10:50   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Another aspect of this is your wife. It kind of sounds like she hasn't yet learned the skills to be good backup for you. Do help "bring her along" as a sailor: mentor her as if she were your best friend's wife. See her, not as your wife, but as a potentially helpful sailor. She should learn piloting on this trip, and reefing and sail changes, it might be enough to get her home safe if something bad happened to you, and then you can trust her to do her share of the watches, and yourself able to sleep.

Ann
Old 15-11-2017, 11:53   #6

Right - it seems clear that the more she actively participates, the more she (and I) will enjoy it. And the more sleep I'll get. If she just understands points of sail and a few terms it would go a long way. I've thought about hiring someone else to take her out with the boat for some basic lessons ... she is interested in the "camping out" at anchor part, but I think she feels that sailing is very technical with one wrong move capsizing us. In the past, daysailing - she has really enjoyed it but was very nervous about handling tiller or sheets.

Clearly weather avoidance is best, but back to my question - if faced with a 40 knot forecast in 12 hours - choosing between scooting inshore to a harbor or anchorage on the west coast of Florida (these look really shallow) which may be in bad shape with wind? or heading to deeper water to heave to, I am at a loss to evaluate.

Scooting inshore seems like it could be a trap with big wind, but a big anchor on the lee side of something sounds secure. Or with deeper water, hazards of hitting something are less, and I like swells better than breaking waves ... but I've never done it.
Old 15-11-2017, 15:56   #7

I dont know the distances between anchorages in that area, but making your departure timing based on trying to arrive at mid day in the next anchorage gives you a big cushion either side to get in during daylight. If you have a 9 or 10 hour passage ahead of you, it is better to leave at 0300 and be assured you will arrive in daylight, than leaving at the crack of dawn and if things get delayed, you might be arriving in the dark. If you need an hour catnap, it is much easier on a less skilled mate to do a watch during daylight than in the dark. A first overnight sail can be pretty stressful, so if possible, make the first sails in the dark as short as possible. I learned early on , in small boat cruising to ask the local fishermen about anchorages. They often have safe spots to get some sleep that most sailboat people have never heard of. I like your comment about a big anchor. Good ground tackle, properly set up is the best insurance policy a cruiser can have. Have a great trip. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 16:03   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

You could probably handle the breaking waves if you are feeling 100% by running off etc

My boat handles those waves just fine and is lighter and shorter than yours, but if you are seasick not being used to the conditions, then you will have a problem.

Can you hang out in Panama City for a while until you adjust? (to the temps and the waves) Maybe sail over to Pensacola and then back along the ICW. Or over to Ft Walton Beach/Destin?

I've sailed all around that area on Beach Cats. We'd have 80 boats on the start line at 7am in the mid 90's for the 100 mile RTI Race from Ft Walton then out Destin Pass to Pensacola on the outside and back along the ICW.

We'd usually stay within 8 - 10 miles or so of land though during the offshore part of the race. When you can hit 15 -25 knots plus though you ain't out there for long

Other races were around Shell Island there near Panama City

The waves in the Gulf are usually not as bad as they are here in the Atlantic/Chesapeake Bay entrance but being seasick regardless can make you incapable of handling the situation...........

Also, if you are planning to do this in the summer, your biggest problem could be the heat. It gets really hot in that area.....easy to handle when you are racing a fast boat for a few hours in your 40's and 50's but if you are older and unaccustomed, it could be a problem
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 16:35   #9

Boat: Maine Cat 38

With a little weather planning I would expect to totally avoid this kind of weather. But I can understand wanting a path of action if accidentally getting caught out.

Last year I was out in 40 knots in a smaller and much lighter boat. It was a wild wet ride...and we made good speed! At one point we hove to in order to resolve an issue. I was delighted at how the boat calmed down when we stopped trying to drive it. We were able to sit peacefully riding the 6 foot seas with no serious drama.

Try heaving to on your boat, I expect she will give a steady ride. This gives you the option of heaving to if stuck in heavy weather.

Your boat has a great pedigree. If she is in good condition she will take you through some horrible stuff with aplomb.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 04:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post

Clearly weather avoidance is best, but back to my question - if faced with a 40 knot forecast in 12 hours - choosing between scooting inshore to a harbor or anchorage on the west coast of Florida (these look really shallow) which may be in bad shape with wind? or heading to deeper water to heave to, I am at a loss to evaluate.

Scooting inshore seems like it could be a trap with big wind, but a big anchor on the lee side of something sounds secure. Or with deeper water, hazards of hitting something are less, and I like swells better than breaking waves ... but I've never done it.
Being a coastal cruiser, if I can get in before the weather hits, I will

Your problem will be whether or not you can "scoot" in before the weather hits. Second problem will be where have you scooted in to and what type anchorages are available. Also as you come in the water gets more shallow, the waves get closer and steeper, and do start to break

If I get hit by a squall on the way in, I stay out instead of dealing with the close space, low water, and obstacles (jetties etc) of the creeks (and possible unseen traffic)

But I do stay away from the shipping channels during the squalls. Many times here when it's really raining and blowing hard, sailing vessels will call out their position on channel 16 repeatedly since they (we) are "out" in the Bay, but in the big picture still "in" as compared to oceangoing vessels and there can be lots of traffic

With a weather front coming in (instead of a squall), you won't have as much traffic since folks will have had a prior warning
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 06:16   #11

Thanks all. I've been out in a squall - comes up fast, lots of wind and rain, but doesn't last long. Not much choice about it because you can't outrun it.

I've been looking at Crystal River and Cedar Key, and having never been there, they look pretty tough to get into with all the shallow water around. Even with the steel board up I draw 3-1/2 feet. In poor conditions I'd be pretty worried about running aground.
Old 16-11-2017, 07:26   #12

It can still be a matter of wrong place at the wrong time with squalls.

The last one I was in occurred within 30-40 minutes after I had anchored. I had actually read here on CF where a guy said he liked to anchor early and get set up so he didn't have to rush with night coming on. So I took that advice on this day

Had I been at my normal sailing area and near the bridge and shipping channel I may have been in trouble since the winds did gust over 40 knots or so and there's very little running room except to try and thread the needle over one of the tunnels which is also the shipping channel

I was actually anchored in a pretty good spot with offshore winds. This one lasted maybe 45 minutes

I'm thinking if offshore with this one just running with it would work quite well then you just have to worry about the lightning

This before the rain and lightning hit:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02022.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	159251   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02025.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	159252  

Click image for larger version