Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2018, 11:16   #91

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky
Re: Hit by small motor boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I would be more concerned with the longer term ramifications. Everyone knows everyone in these communities. You're now, more than likely, infamous. That is not the side of the community I want to be on. Certainly not for $200.

Moreso, $200 is probably a lot more to them than it is to me. The business owner has extended goodwill, however, the OP has not. That becomes of reflection of all cruisers in their minds. Awesome!!!

For $200?
Not a problem.
He will just rename his boat "GRUMPY".
Hahahahahaaa
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 11:43   #92

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Nicely done, probably not going to cover the cost of the incident, but workout feedback, we only slowly get better.

In a fan of the boat hook. Is someone approaches the boat I don't know, I greet them with a smile and the 12ft boat hook. It evens works with LEOs. :^)
ronstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 11:52   #93

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Oops, sorry the duplicate post, using the phone apps and there was some confusion on my part of whether it posted.

BTW, what was she selling?
Old 26-12-2018, 14:37   #94

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasse_A View Post
We have now settled compensation for the damage on my boat caused by the young lady in the small motor boat. The business owner paid me US $200.
It may cost me more to fix this but it will probably motivate the owner to keep the young lady from going around hitting other peoples boats.
I also urged them to train the young lady in handling the boat before releasing here around the anchorage.

/Hans

Well played! Not what the repair might cost, but enough to encourage more responsible operation in the future and save OTHER boaters many thousands in repairs from the terror of the anchorage. I think it worked out for the best, all around.
Old 26-12-2018, 15:20   #95

Boat: Trapper 300

Happy Ending! Congradulations!
heron237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 15:32   #96

Great outcome.

Now that it is over, how about buying us all a beer (each) for all of our support.
Old 27-12-2018, 09:24   #97

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
oh for goodness sake- just fix it and move on. Young lady not getting paid much trying to make a living- damage doesn't sound major, was not intentional- seriously.....
I have to agree.
I would show my concern about the scratch, and hope the woman can understand my culture enough to want to be careful in the future. But the difference in cultures is so great that she might need a lot of exposure before she can comprehend our concern over a little scratch.

Where I am, they have a minimum wage that is about 4.19$US per day and the normal work day is 6 days per week. The waitpersons in restaurants make about 5.71$US per day, so a dollar tips is very much appreciated. And there is no percentage expected as a tips, like in Europe, USA, and Canada. (I say "tips" instead of "tip" because it is an anacronym for "To Improve Personal Service;TIPS".)

Bottom line …. Such scratches are part of normal wear and tear. This is part of the cost of being a guest of other cultures. Behaving like a guest is part of leaving a clean wake for others who follow.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 15:44   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
Where I am, they have a minimum wage that is about 4.19$US per day and the normal work day is 6 days per week. The waitpersons in restaurants make about 5.71$US per day, so a dollar tips is very much appreciated. And there is no percentage expected as a tips, like in Europe, USA, and Canada. (I say "tips" instead of "tip" because it is an anacronym for "To Improve Personal Service;TIPS".)
Do you mean $4.10 per DAY or per HOUR??
Old 27-12-2018, 16:06   #99

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Do you mean $4.10 per DAY or per HOUR??

There is a huge difference in culture here. Minimum wage is about $4.10 per day for an 8 hour day. About 52 cents per hour.

People are mostly friendly and generous and honest. But it takes a lot of time with us to understand our concern about paint scratches when they would seldom dream of spending money on paint.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 18:05   #100

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
(I say "tips" instead of "tip" because it is an anacronym for "To Improve Personal Service;TIPS".)
Ummm...no.

"It first appeared in this context as a verb (“Then I, Sir, tips me the Verger with half a Crown” from the 1706 George Farquhar play The Beaux Stratagem) and was first recorded as a noun in 1755. However, the use of tip to describe the act of giving something to another (where that list of possible ‘somethings’ could include small sums of money, intelligence on horse races, or the latest silly joke) goes back to 1610."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tip-sheet/ And there are a lot of other sources...
Old 27-12-2018, 18:30   #101
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hit by small motor boat.

In the UK we in the Hospitality Industry back in my days (80's) operated a TRONC into which all Tips Recieved Of Nice Customers used to be put into then divided between the staff at the end of the week..
Nice little bonus at the end of the week.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 18:41   #102
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Bottom line …. Such scratches are part of normal wear and tear. This is part of the cost of being a guest of other cultures. Behaving like a guest is part of leaving a clean wake for others who follow.
But.. but.. but... those cheeky natives had better learn the proper way to behave if they want to have us back again.

And if they are unwilling to learn, then by golly, it is our job to teach them and teach proper so they won't forget.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	irony-gif-9.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	182826  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 19:07   #103

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Venture View Post
I honestly can't believe some of these replies. Seriously how old are you? If you can't give a proper reply . Don't add your stupid 2 cents worth.

I would also be upset if someone just hit our boat. In some cases consequences have to happen. It doesn't matter if you have a anchor ball out or not, she knew pretty well you were on anchor.

Good luck with your repairs. We did a total revamp on our boat when we purchased her 3 years ago. So we fully understand what every scratch means .
Maybe I've been at this too long, or maybe your just too thin skinned.
I just did a 2 year refit and redo on my boat, we're now into the initial stage of a 3-5 year cruise. I fully expect to get some dings, thats why a bought enough of the original paint to fix the dings and real world wear and tear an actual cruising boat gets. Want to have a pristine, perfectly ding free boat? Don't put it in the water, don't go anywhere with it, stay in the marina and wash it every day.
In 35 years of sailing I cant remember one year that I didn't get some dings or chips, but then again I use and live on my boats, I'm not afraid to use them to go where i want to when I want to and I'm not about to change.
On this 3-5 year cruise I fully expect to have some Oh **** moments, either of my own doing or some other frail human who makes a mistake. It's part of the deal.
Otherwise, stay home and eave the rest of us to our real lives.
If you can't do a simple, cheap and easy gelcoat repair to your own boat perhaps you should never leave the marina, then again, I;ve usually had more problems in marinas with amateur boat owners.
I don't loose my mind over such trivial issues, after coming through some of the major difficulties I've encountered.
This rates right up there with the Ann Landers controversy of which way should the toilet paper unwind.
Personally I'm suspicious of anyone who doesn't have a gel coat repair kit and doesn't know how to use one.
My boat will cruise well and then get repaired as needed, then spruced up when we're done,in the mean time I choose to use it and enjoy it and stop worrying about the minor crap. It may not be the prettiest boat in the fleet but it's a damn sound boat when t comes to being seaworthy, gotta get your priorities right.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 19:57   #104

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasse_A View Post
We have now settled compensation for the damage on my boat caused by the young lady in the small motor boat. The business owner paid me US $200.
It may cost me more to fix this but it will probably motivate the owner to keep the young lady from going around hitting other peoples boats.
I also urged them to train the young lady in handling the boat before releasing here around the anchorage.

/Hans
I wonder how much this thread on CF contributed (forced?) their decision.

Blackie Swart in #34 had an identical problem with them and didn't get any compensation.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 22:36   #105

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
Maybe I've been at this too long, or maybe your just too thin skinned.
I just did a 2 year refit and redo on my boat, we're now into the initial stage of a 3-5 year cruise. I fully expect to get some dings, thats why a bought enough of the original paint to fix the dings and real world wear and tear an actual cruising boat gets. Want to have a pristine, perfectly ding free boat? Don't put it in the water, don't go anywhere with it, stay in the marina and wash it every day.
In 35 years of sailing I cant remember one year that I didn't get some dings or chips, but then again I use and live on my boats, I'm not afraid to use them to go where i want to when I want to and I'm not about to change.
On this 3-5 year cruise I fully expect to have some Oh **** moments, either of my own doing or some other frail human who makes a mistake. It's part of the deal.
Otherwise, stay home and eave the rest of us to our real lives.
If you can't do a simple, cheap and easy gelcoat repair to your own boat perhaps you should never leave the marina, then again, I;ve usually had more problems in marinas with amateur boat owners.
I don't loose my mind over such trivial issues, after coming through some of the major difficulties I've encountered.
This rates right up there with the Ann Landers controversy of which way should the toilet paper unwind.
Personally I'm suspicious of anyone who doesn't have a gel coat repair kit and doesn't know how to use one.
My boat will cruise well and then get repaired as needed, then spruced up when we're done,in the mean time I choose to use it and enjoy it and stop worrying about the minor crap. It may not be the prettiest boat in the fleet but it's a damn sound boat when t comes to being seaworthy, gotta get your priorities right.

I get that. But you are missing one point. This offending hellion of the waves has a history of recklessly and aggressively coming alongside boats when the skipper or crew ask her or tell her to stand off, and she causes an awful lot of damage that WOULD NOT OCCUR, if she simply exercised a bit of common nautical courtesy, by not coming alongside unless invited, and even then, fending off as needed. This is not an isolated incident. It is NOT simply an oh crap moment. It is a pattern of willful damage. She KNOWS full well from past experience that she is likely to cause damage when she comes alongside, but does so, anyway. This is where the lesson stuff comes in. This is where the consequences for actions or behavior comes in. Okay, just a scratch. Then another one. Then another one. And tomorrow starts the same old way again. Who cares? It's just a scratch, and just a boat, and boats get knocked around. Oh, there's another boat anchoring/mooring, I think I will go crash into that one before I call it a day. She learns NOTHING except that most yachtsmen are very tolerant of poor, downtrodden young ladies crashing into their boats, or at least don't find it worth their time to register a complaint. She gets away with it over and over and over again. Hey everybody, let's line up and get our daily bump from the local whatever vendor. Come on, let's all get a nice deeep scratch, how bout it? Anchor here, get a complimentary ding, free of charge. What's not to like?

Anyway, I think the matter is properly resolved, fait accompli, done deal. Let's hope some good came out of it and the demolition derby princess learns a little caution, or else gets transferred to another part of the business where she can't collide with visiting yachts.

Tags
boat, motor