Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 10:14   #1

Boat: Gulf 32
Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

Have tried to search this one through, have found plenty of ideas about how to hoist dinghy onto foredeck using spinnaker halyard / jib halyard... BUT... I don't have either available to me (no spinnaker halyard, furling jib)... I guess I could lower the jib every time I want to hoist the dink, but wondering if anyone has used main halyard to do so... do you just hoist somewhere on the aft part of the boat then walk the dinghy forward?

Any insight appreciated... this is a Walker Bay 285ST, weighs about 120lbs... not sure it's long term solution but it's what I have for now.

Thanks in advance,

Bass
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 10:17   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Hoisting dinghy on deck - with main halyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
furling jib)... I guess I could lower the jib every time I want to hoist the dink, but wondering if anyone has used main halyard to do so... do you just hoist somewhere on the aft part of the boat then walk the dinghy forward?
yes that's it
Old 23-03-2016, 10:23   #3

How far out to the side of the mast do you figure it's safe to go without putting too much side load on the sheave? Do I need to be loading this thing almost into the cockpit then going forward with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
yes that's it
Old 23-03-2016, 10:34   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Well it's going to be half the boats width away from the mast no matter what. I have a lot bigger boat than you, but if I was worried about the weight of a dinghy being too much for my main halyard/mast I wouldn't sail it.
Old 23-03-2016, 10:41   #5

Boat: Nauticat 33

Quote:
if I was worried about the weight of a dinghy being too much for my main halyard/mast I wouldn't sail it.
This. I'd imagine you could hook your dinghy to the halyard and start swinging it around the mast and it would be okay. And if it's not you have a problem.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 10:46   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Bassears, which boat are you considering lifting the dinghy onto? I'm assuming it is the heavier Gulf. Your mainsail halyard side loads the sheave when you are sailing on a reach. I wouldn't worry about it. You should be fine using the main halyard to hoist the dinghy.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:14   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I would be fine using the main halyard, but I would probably also seriously consider using a block and tackle from a bail on the boom instead of the halyard.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:16   #8

Boat: Lafitte 44

I use my spinnaker halyard and run it through my windlass for push button ease.
Old 23-03-2016, 11:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
Have tried to search this one through, have found plenty of ideas about how to hoist dinghy onto foredeck using spinnaker halyard / jib halyard... BUT... I don't have either available to me (no spinnaker halyard, furling jib)... I guess I could lower the jib every time I want to hoist the dink, but wondering if anyone has used main halyard to do so... do you just hoist somewhere on the aft part of the boat then walk the dinghy forward?

Any insight appreciated... this is a Walker Bay 285ST, weighs about 120lbs... not sure it's long term solution but it's what I have for now.

Thanks in advance,

Bass
120lbs is quite a lot to lift and when the main halyard swings forward of the mast the top sheave might chafe.

Maybe haul a purchase and a downhaul aloft & then tie off the main halyard and the downhaul on deck. Then you don't have to use a mast winch and you can guide the dinghy while you haul on the purchase from forward?

I'm always singlehanded... I've been using the spinnaker halyard and a boathook tied to a forward stanchion to keep the dinghy off the topsides.

Been meaning to make a fairlead for the end of the boathook but I might just rig a purchase instead now
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:20   #10

Not worried about absolute weight, know that pressure from sailing is much higher, just want to be sure I don't weight anything in a direction it's not expecting / not intended for.

Quote:
Well it's going to be half the boats width away from the mast no matter what. I have a lot bigger boat than you, but if I was worried about the weight of a dinghy being too much for my main halyard/mast I wouldn't sail it.
Old 23-03-2016, 11:21   #11

Umm, yeah, should have made that clear, it's the Gulf not the Nimble... only dinghy that's fitting on the foredeck of the Nimble would come from Kmart

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Bassears, which boat are you considering lifting the dinghy onto? I'm assuming it is the heavier Gulf. Your mainsail halyard side loads the sheave when you are sailing on a reach. I wouldn't worry about it. You should be fine using the main halyard to hoist the dinghy.

S/V B'Shert
Old 23-03-2016, 14:03   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post

S/V B'Shert
While I don't agree that the halyard gets side loads when reaching (the headboard/slugs/slides/bolt rope take those loads), the amount of side loading from swinging the dinghy around the spreaders shouldn't cause any problems at all. That gear is pretty robust!

Jim
Old 23-03-2016, 14:17   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Store the dinghy on the foredeck. Hoist it up using the spinnaker pole. Have a four part tackle tied to the pole. Lift the dinghy and swing the pole out to drop it over the side. Reverse the procedure to bring it back aboard. Have a three part sling on the dinghy to hoist it level. Takes very little time and effort to attach the pole to the mast and support with the pole lift.

Tried using the spinnaker halyard but having no mechanical advantage made it no fun and it banged against the hull while hoisting.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 14:50   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Store the dinghy on the foredeck. Hoist it up using the spinnaker pole. Have a four part tackle tied to the pole. Lift the dinghy and swing the pole out to drop it over the side. Reverse the procedure to bring it back aboard. Have a three part sling on the dinghy to hoist it level. Takes very little time and effort to attach the pole to the mast and support with the pole lift.

Tried using the spinnaker halyard but having no mechanical advantage made it no fun and it banged against the hull while hoisting.
If he does not have a spinnaker halyard, it is unlikely that he has a pole lift rigged, Peter!

Or even a pole, perhaps...

Jim
Old 23-03-2016, 16:07   #15

Should have mentioned that, I do have a pole and a tang on the mast for it for poling out the jib, but not vertical control lines for the pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If he does not have a spinnaker halyard, it is unlikely that he has a pole lift rigged, Peter!

Or even a pole, perhaps...

Jim

Tags
deck, dinghy, halyard