Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2012, 10:23   #31

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: How do you attach your working/storm jib?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Paul,

Do you run any other sails on this stay besides a storm jib? I installed a mast tang this year for a solent stay and purchased Dynex Dux, but now I'm thinking I may want to occasionally run something on this stay besides just my storm jib.... maybe a drifter or something for light air. Not sure if the DUX and soft hanks are up to constant use that a long downwind passage may bring. I may just use extra 1/4" stainless wire that I have in storage and good old bronze hanks.
No, my inner stay was setup on my J/37 for a storm jib only. I suspect a properly setup Dux stay will last just fine in a long downwind run. Seems you'd want the light air sails more forward than the inner stay.
Old 28-10-2012, 10:42   #32

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
No, my inner stay was setup on my J/37 for a storm jib only. I suspect a properly setup Dux stay will last just fine in a long downwind run. Seems you'd want the light air sails more forward than the inner stay.
I was looking to run a twizzel rig downwind form both stays.
Old 28-10-2012, 11:39   #33

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I was looking to run a twizzel rig downwind form both stays.
Are you thinking of having the twin jibs on a single furler, 2 furlers, or ?
I've never used a twizzle rig, but there are some decent explanations online.
Old 02-11-2012, 16:29   #34

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Re: How Do You Attach Your Working / Storm Jib ?

Trying to claw your way off a rocky lee shore with a almost furled genoa which is still overpowering your rudder teaches you the value of having storm sails closer to the mast on a sloop rig and the mainmast on a ketch. My storm sail is set using a halyard and uses an incorporated spectra stay--being spectra because the original 316 was just crap and did not like the bronze eyelets or additional hanks in case one wished to set it elsewhere, as from a mainmast baby-stay.

You might get away with a furled genoa downwind and with lots of sea room. Now I am ready with functional storm sail and a quick in-mast halyard set. Any rougher and it gets hanked on to the baby stay, using a shackled on block and halyard.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 22:40   #35

If your inner stay ends up right over the center of your bunk, you might want to consider laminating a deck beam to take the load without having a turnbuckle coming thru your bed. Laminated beams can be very strong and look good. If you feel the need to transfer some of the load to the hull, then build it with hanging knees that are epoxied to the hull. I think a removable SS inner forestay with a hanked on reefable staysail is the safest way to go. The thought of trying to handle a free setting sail in storm conditions is pretty scary. Just my 2 cents worth.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:29   #36

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

At the risk of being laughed off this forum, would this work?

Take a short spinnaker pole and set it to the mast. Rig your spinnaker halyard out to the end of the pole and tighten both it and the downhaul as hard as you can. Now Rig a gybe preventer to keep the spinnaker pole from moving sideways.

Hank a storm jib on the spinnaker halyard.

The above gives you a cutter rig that you can take down. I admit setting all this is a blow might be difficult, but if practiced not impossible.

This is also just a brainstorm - I've never actually tried it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 17:47   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Haven't followed this thread for a while, but perhaps will jump in for the benefit of those who expressed interest in my idea. My Stay'sl is not merely set flying--I have rigged it to set on it's own halyard as if that were it's stay. Here's how: The tack of the stay'sl is attached to a becket on a block. The halyard begins at the head of the sail, passes through the block on the mast aloft, then returns to the deck via the luff of the sail. rather than hanks, I have brass round thimbles seized to the luff grommets. The halyard passes through those as it descends, then goes though the block, the becket of which the tack is seized to. The block attaches to the stemhead with a toggle (could be a shackle, though). So the sail is hoisted by planting the feet firmly on deck and pulling upwards on the halyard. Not only do I get a little extra purchase, I can take a couple turns around the rope drum of the manual windlass to set it up as tight as I like. On it's way down, the halyard running along the luff makes it easier to control than if it were truly flying, and since I'm right forward with the sail as I ease out the halyard, I can gather it easily as it descends. Once it's down it's child's play to unfasten the lower turning block and stow it all back by the mast, so I have a clean foredeck for other shenanigans. I can also unfasten the head of the stowed sail from the halyard and use the halyard normally for a sail hanked to the forestay. Which I never do, since the stay'sl reefs to a nice tiny size.
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, storm jib