Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2020, 10:22   #1

Boat: Hunter 466
How do you get a sailboat tied off between two pilings?

One of my favorite places to go is often full at the dock, but there are almost always open pilings available. (about 50ft apart) I attempted to tie off there, but ran into trouble. I couldn't figure out how to maneuver in between them. I first got the front tied off, but then the back would just start drifting out and I couldn't manage to swing the back end in. I tried about every throttle/rudder/forward/reverse situation I could think of. When I asked around on how to do it, I got the response... "Don't." I've got a 32ft sailboat with just the one inboard engine and none of those fancy thrusters.

I thought I'd be able to find a YouTube video on it, but I came up with nothing.

Anyone have a method that works for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	207104  
VisionPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 10:34   #2

Re: How do you get a sailboat tied off between two pilings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionPNW View Post
One of my favorite places to go is often full at the dock, but there are almost always open pilings available. (about 50ft apart) I attempted to tie off there, but ran into trouble. I couldn't figure out how to maneuver in between them. I first got the front tied off, but then the back would just start drifting out and I couldn't manage to swing the back end in. I tried about every throttle/rudder/forward/reverse situation I could think of. When I asked around on how to do it, I got the response... "Don't." I've got a 32ft sailboat with just the one inboard engine and none of those fancy thrusters.

I thought I'd be able to find a YouTube video on it, but I came up with nothing.

You are making the common mistake...

I used to teach people how to pick up moorings in a field where you were required to pick up both bow and stern moorings to limit swinging, and the moorings had no painters! After each member of the class had their turn we'd stop for lunch and watch the carnage as other boats came in, and they all would make the same mistake you did.

Pick up the STERN piling first. You can easily back up to it, pass a loop round, then fed out line as you drive the bow to the other piling. Have a crew member keep the stern loop tight enough to stay out of the water, and a second crew on the bow to loop that piling when it is in reach. It is hard with fewer crew, but with a bit of running around, it can be done. You'll look the hero.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 11:20   #3

Ok, that now seems like the obvious method for doing it.

I usually grab mooring balls from the sugar scoop, but for some reason I didn't think it would be the best way for the pilings. Thanks for the help!
Old 17-01-2020, 11:20   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Actually, there are many 'right ways' top do this:
1. Tie off to the first one you pass and keep going until to reach the second and tie that one line to the second piling. Then just walk the boat back, or

2. tie a line around whichever one you approach first from any direction while maintaining momentum toward toe second securing a second line thereto, or
3. If windy, approach from upwind using the wind to coast down on either piling, tie a line around that piling (not tied by wrapped) and then move fwd or back accordingly.

There are more but others can chime in
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 11:36   #5

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionPNW View Post

If this is where you like to tie if it's full?
Looks awful tight for anyone trying to back out of there.
Those are bulwarks, to facilitate keeping vessels from going on the rocks.
Probably not tie to those.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 11:55   #6

In places like Venice ...when you tie fore and aft between poles ..i get the windward Or up stream , line on first , they launch the dingy and set the leeward , downstream line from the dingy
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 11:58   #7

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

you are short handed use the same technique but with a floating rope off the stern, that keeps it out of the prop so it can be loose while approaching the bow pilling
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 12:06   #8

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

The other option, especially if you are solo, is to have a line from the aft cockpit brought forward outside all and laid on the cockpit seat. Motor slowly past the first pilling into wind catching the line round it as you pass. Then kill most of the way while turning away from the pilling and walk to the aft deck to secure the line. The boat should continue to swing her bow down wind. If you judge it just right you can catch the forward pilling as you swing past. If not you will be pointing down wind hanging off the stern and can take the bow line to the pilling in the dingy.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 12:21   #9

My theory of tying up in a slip, has always been, that at the precise minute you are tying up, no matter whichever direction the wind is blowing, there is one piling, and one cleat, that you can tie off together, and your boat will be relatively stationary, at least momentarily, which will allow the rest of the lines to be tied off.
Old 18-01-2020, 12:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
If this is where you like to tie if it's full?
Looks awful tight for anyone trying to back out of there.
Those are bulwarks, to facilitate keeping vessels from going on the rocks.
Probably not tie to those.
SV Cloud Duster
When it's busy there are almost always boats out there. You would also be much more likely to get a freshly vacated spot on the dock.
Old 18-01-2020, 12:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
In places like Venice ...when you tie fore and aft between poles ..i get the windward Or up stream , line on first , they launch the dingy and set the leeward , downstream line from the dingy
I could see making that work as long as the wind is working with you... it could also push you into the rocks. I ended up tied off at the bow, with the stern drifting out towards the docks. I probably could have hopped in the dingy to finish it up, but I was pretty much done with trying at that point. Next time I'll approach with a better plan, backup plan, and a calmer disposition.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:42   #12

Definitely in our boat, and I guess in many others, "backing down" to a mooring is out of the question, so picking up the stern mooring first is the only option that will work. With just the two of us as crew it means that the helmsperson has to pay out the stern line making sure that it stays out of the prop. We find that having two of the gadgets that pass a line through a hoop is a big help assuming that the mooring has suitable fittings. On occasion we've had to grab one mooring and get the dinghy out to secure the other.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, mooring, piling, sail, sailboat