Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2018, 07:34   #16

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: How do you ride in your dinghy

I almost got creamed once on a dinghy. I came out beyond the end of a jetty into the outer harbor/anchorage and a powerboat at high speed was running parallel to and just off the jetty about to enter the “No Wake” channel.

He was careless with his speed but I was careless in not anticipating that someone could be coming through there at high speed. I take responsibility (have the ability to respond) in this instance and from then on I’ve been very careful coming around the end of that jetty.

As for riding in the dinghy we ride on the tubes. I on the port tube, with the outboard engine’s tiller on my side with Mrs. Flare on the starboard tube. She watches my back, I watch her’s and we both look aft and forward.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:44   #17

When we see people standing in their dinghy underway, we jokingly refer to it as a "Washingtonian Crossing", in reference to famous painting "Washington Crosses the Delaware" by Emanuel Leutze.

The funniest thing we ever saw was a party of four. All four were standing. Two in front, two in back. Ridiculous. We laugh whenever we see it. If someone then tries to use the excuse that they can see better, we laugh even harder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Washington_Crossing_the_Delaware_by_Emanuel_Leutze,_MMA-NYC,_1851.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	167657  
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:49   #18

Incidentally. We sit on the tubes. If it's rough sometimes we sit on a pfd on the floor.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:14   #19

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
When we see people standing in their dinghy underway, we jokingly refer to it as a "Washingtonian Crossing", in reference to famous painting "Washington Crosses the Delaware" by Emanuel Leutze.

The funniest thing we ever saw was a party of four. All four were standing. Two in front, two in back. Ridiculous. We laugh whenever we see it. If someone then tries to use the excuse that they can see better, we laugh even harder.
I have always been a “North up” kind of person having studied maps and the globe from an early age. It wasn’t until much later in life that I realized that the perspective of that painting is facing south. I actually had Washington going from NJ to PA which wasn’t the case at all.

I was taught as a child to never stand up in a boat, owing to the fact we had only small boats.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:19   #20

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
You sit on the port tube and control the motor with your right hand? In decades of boating you are the third person I've seen do this.
How did you manage to react quickly and turn to starboard wihout pulling the engine's control arm into your body, or leaning so far back that you are in danger of going overboard?

The Bahamian habit of trimming their bows extremely high so they can porpoise their outboard powered rocketships across the harbor is a subject best saved for a sunset and a few cold Kaliks.

Glad all is well.
Right handers should always run the tiller left handed.......Leaves the strong side free for delivering a few ounces of lead to the sassy bandits.

In all seriousness, we were almost run over from behind a couple of summers ago, and it has changed the way we operate. On the lakes, it's more apt to happen at night.....no matter how brightly you're lit. The drunks sure know how to ruin a good time.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:45   #21

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Standing up doesn't prevent you from looking around. Sitting or standing you have to keep a good lookout. Don't understand what the OP is getting at.
The OP's comment about standing is a concern that he and his passenger would likely have been knocked out of their dinghy if they were standing when the wake hit them. Because they were sitting, they did not fall out of the boat.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:46   #22

Boat: Boatless

There is something about the standing position, in the extreme with a piece of 2” pvc tiller extension, that just looks to my eye “insert adjective”

Same folks who wear full weather gear">foul weather gear and inflatable pfds while anchoring in G Town.

Rant over.

Control from port? My brain can’t process :-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:50   #23

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Always thought it would be entertaining to see the “stand up -look how fast I am going” dinghy people hit an oyster bar. YouTube material, as long as the only thing injured is pride.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:53   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How do you ride in your dinghy

I stand and use an extension.. my passengers sit..
Left leg forward knees slightly bent to flex with shocks.. all round vision and no bodies limiting visibility.. another bonus is conversation is near impossible so no distractions from my duties.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:53   #25

Yep, never understood the stand up thing. I guess that's why they started making the the "wrist band overboard key thing" on motors! Boneheads are unpredictable.
I sit on the tube, in rough water I squat down on the floor lowering the CG and staying out of the spray.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:55   #26

Boat: Hullmaster 27

I row ... I spend most of my time looking backwards.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:02   #27

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
How do you ride in your dinghy

Some folks like to ride sitting down some like to stand up. It’s all good.[ATTACH]
That’s me and the Mrs. back a number of years on Hawaii.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1522944128.801593.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	167660  
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:20   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
I row ... I spend most of my time looking backwards.
At least let us know where to send your body parts when the OP's instance happens to you.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:47   #29

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Some folks like to ride sitting down some like to stand up. It’s all good.[ATTACH]
That’s me and the Mrs. back a number of years on Hawaii.
I love it! The ol' Roman honeymoon!
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:47   #30

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Regardless of which dinghy - the Porta bote or the Walker Bay Genesis - we sit on the seats.

I always use my left hand on the tiller. I can sit centered on the seat and have full control. It's also very counter intuitive to me to have going faster by pushing my hand in a rotation forward rather than the typical motorcycle grip which has the hand rotating toward you to accelerate.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy