Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2018, 16:15   #46

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: How do you ride in your dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
How do I ride in my dinghy?

Tenderly......

Your dinghy must be a pun-t.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 16:20   #47

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Your dinghy must be a pun-t.
Thank yawl, I'll be here all week.........
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 16:33   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Facing East? But it's late afternoon, so why is the bright sky behind them

Doh! Just noticed the compass rose on that map. Up is East, so you are correct about the perspective facing South.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 17:19   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How do you ride in your dinghy

Another thing.. I dont buy ribs just slat floored inflatables with 5hp 2x outboards.. find standing and transfering my weight from one leg to another helps manouvering.. can achive faster turns.. jump others wakes.. and planing I leave barely a wake.
Sitting on the tube unbalances the dinghy and gets me bum wet... but then I'm a smoker and drinker as well..
Fill yer boots boys..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 17:49   #50

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Doh! Just noticed the compass rose on that map. Up is East, so you are correct about the perspective facing South.
I just told Mrs. Flare I won an argument without saying anything.

If anyone knows I’m smarter with my mouth shut it is she.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:21   #51

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheDish View Post
Part of the standing up method is to move the weight forward so you can get on plane easier.

We don't do it.
I don't see why on earth you need to stand up to move weight forward. Just sit forward. I think they stand to avoid spray but of course that's not really possible.

When I drive alone I have a tiller extender and can kneel on the floor far enough forward to see over the bow, and that gets weight far enough forward to get on plane faster. And when conditions are rough we both kneel on floor of dinghy on float cushions. If you sit on tubes you *will* get your butt wet.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:38   #52

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I sit so the throttle works "correctly" like a motorcycle. Otherwise I twist the wrong way and end up revving up when I meant to slow down.

Around here, it's the fishermen who use the standing position. Works better in a loaded (and usually wooden) skiff, especially one with no seats. But I notice even in a RIB, they still stand. Just habit I guess.

I never had a motor on my dinghy when I fished, so I never developed that habit.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:36   #53

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But you can NOT keep a good 360 watch while operating a tiller-steered outboard powered dinghy alone. I don't know any solution to that.

You are welcome...
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	167931Click image for larger version

Name:	MirrorBridgeView-671x700.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	167933
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:49   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Drummer View Post
Most of the cruisers I've seen standing rarely look behind them - I've watched and wondered! And also because there is no way we would have been able to remain standing - getting thrown down and hurt or overboard. That's why I mentioned the caution. As for using my right hand - I have sat on the starboard side using my left occasionally. It's very uncomfortable to me. And it's also not natural to me. If I had been on the starboard side there would have been no way I could have reacted in time. I'm right handed and my right hand has much quicker reflexes than my left. I didn't have time to think, only to react. However, there are times when I do that if I need to be on that side for docking. But to use my left hand I have to lean quite far if I want to turn to starboard. The motor is a Honda and the tiller does not come straight forward, it is pointed slightly to port. I sit far enough forward so it is easily swung to either side.

Larry

I have an ePropulsion Spirit electric outboard and two of the nice things about are that the tiller comes straight out from the center and the twist throttle also controls forward and reverse.

It’s also pretty easy to start.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 14:06   #55

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

I always sit in the bow and direct the crew who are, of course, facing backwards because they are rowing. It looks like the attached image.

If some addlehead comes athwart my beam I have at him with my pea popper. Should that not turn him awry, I stand proud and go down with the ship.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captain_Jack_Sparrow_and_crew_in_the_boat.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	168288  
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 23:07   #56

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Is it an American thing to sit on the starboard tube of the dinghy when the tiller is on port? I've never seen it at all in the Med, and surely would limit you pushing the tiller to port as you've already had to reach across the motor.

Most outboard tillers are short as it is, and you're giving up reach in this case.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 23:43   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Is it an American thing to sit on the starboard tube of the dinghy when the tiller is on port? I've never seen it at all in the Med, and surely would limit you pushing the tiller to port as you've already had to reach across the motor.

Most outboard tillers are short as it is, and you're giving up reach in this case.
With short tiller, reach isn't much of an issue on most small dinghies but if you sit on the port tube and try to turn hard to starboard, the tiller hit's your knees.

If you have short arms, you can always choke up on the tiller by holding it so your hand is just on the twist part of the handle. That will cut the amount of reach by around half compared to holding the very end. For a small motor maneuvering around the docks, doesn't take a lot of force to turn the tiller so the reduced leverage isn't an issue.

In reality, other than to claim you do it better, it doesn't really matte
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 00:46   #58

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

See I find the opposite. Because the tiller is short is doesn't come anywhere near your knees unless you've sat on the transom which would be weird. Just seems odd to me that people reach across the engine to get to the tiller, but then some people hold their fork in the right hand which is a much worse sin. (just kidding).

Anyway, as you say doesn't much matter just interesting given the same machinery the different way people will go about things.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:36   #59

Boat: Tanzer 22

Tillers are designed to be driven with the left hand. For many reasons it is unsafe to drive with the right hand. This is a pet peeve of mine. I see a lot a people on YouTube driving with the wrong hand. Thanks for listening. That’s all
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:03   #60

Another thing is the gear shift on all the small outboards I've used is on the starboard side. I know some have it built into the tiller but the typical is on the starboard side.

If you are sitting on the port side, you have to reach around the engine head to shift which is even more awkward.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy