Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2024, 19:19   #76

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: How Far Have You Sailed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Aren't Cat miles measured as half-mono miles because you can only be on one hull at a time?
My problem adding up miles is the lack of a log for all the dinghy and keelboat racing.
Well, if you’re really keen you can keep a personal log that is separate from any boat logs. Useful for when you want to charter or if you want to gain professional qualifications.

Use the personal log to track the miles for all the different sailing you do. For round the buoys racing, record the course distance (or add 1/3 to the course distance to account for tacks and gybes). For distance racing record the course distance if you don’t have access to the boat logs. Cruising miles should be as recorded in the boat log.

Regarding cat miles, except when sleeping or washing one is on the bridgedeck in the salon and cockpit, so straddling the two hulls. Two halves make a whole.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 00:58   #77

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post

Regarding cat miles, except when sleeping or washing one is on the bridgedeck in the salon and cockpit, so straddling the two hulls. Two halves make a whole.

Now that could be construed as "air miles"
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 02:09   #78

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

Not quite what this thread is talking about, but I used to work with a guy that had been second mate on a bulk carrier. He said he was at a party and a woman asked him how far from land had he sailed. He thought about it for a minute and replied, "About 5 miles." The woman was shocked and said, "Is that all?" He responded, "Yes, straight down!"
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 05:04   #79

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

I didn't realize it it was a contest! Not sail, but power, current boat >10,000 nm since we moved aboard a little less than three years ago. 6,600 in the last year doing the "great U". Now refurbing a dock that came with a house (refurbing the house, not the dock), so land bound for the Summer.

On Anchoring . . . . don't really know, I guess I could go back and check the logs since we got our current boat . . . . probably 300+ times. Boats before that . . . . no idea.

I guess "anchor bragging rights" is why people sometimes come into an anchorage and attempt to set their anchor 4 or 5 times wherever we go . . . . does that count as 4 or 5 times? Or just the one last (finally) successful "set"? I guess if you want more higher #'s for "anchor bragging rights", just keep the old CQR!

Oops, now I've gone and done it . . . . hmmmmm, now where is that "hiding under the chair" emoji?!?
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 17:49   #80

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

I anchored 4 times in the same spot last weekend.
Each one was “successful” in that they didn’t drag.

Mind you, I did have a bunch of students on board doing a “Prepare to Charter” course.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 19:36   #81

Left Darwin, Oz August 2018 and arrived Sitka, AK July 2019 by way of Cape of Good Hope, Panama Canal, and Hawaii - about 20k miles in a year. Why? Because it sounded like fun. It was. Can't say there was a ton of anchor dropping along that route
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 03:12   #82

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
Ok... for you guys that track your miles... Do you track actual miles sailed or sum of miles on each tack? e.g. If you sailed 10nm on one tack, through 90 degrees, then 10nm; Are you recording 20nm or 14nm?
If you get stuck working to weather and you are tacking back and forth to gain hard-won miles to weather, are you recording miles on each tack or simply progress forwards?

For us, we're generally day sailing and we don't track miles or even log entries. Unless we're cruising to another destination, then we track our course.
Interesting questions. So I keep a personal log, basically as FoxyKitty (who's posts I very much admire) suggested because the qualifications authority in this part of the world always require a mileage. Sailing my own boats, if I remember to 'start' the Navionics log and 'stop' at the end I get the 'real' mileage. But mostly I don't remember to do so or can't be bothered and just use the distance between the two points I've sailed. Especially so when I've crewed on other people's boats.

So my records show 14,000 nm in last 20 years but now I realise without very many tacks. Have never kept a record of anchoring. But if there's a mooring ball available I'll be found there.

Of course another way to consider distance is the 'real' distance or the vicarious distances gained in watching Utube videos? If so I've been around the globe a couple of times.

I recall once sailing with an Aussie who reckoned he'd sailed 275,00 miles and a point I had in my head then was that at an average of 5 knots, perhaps a little less, that was significant number of hours. (And yes he'd only ever owned a mono hull.) In fact so much so that would have equated to nearly 19 years continuously at sea (8 hour watches per day, now I wonder did he count tacks or point to point miles?). And he'd never had a job as a sailor as such, and had managed most of that at weekends and holidays whilst keeping a more or less full time job most of his adult life.
And I know I'll be critisized for recounting this story given that we all know how incredibly unlikely it is for anyone to come across an Aussie who can even count past 10. But this guy proved the rule.

So is the question really more about the size of one's ground tackle or the fish that got away?

Just as an aside I thought it quite funny the point made earlier about competitive yachties. Like almost everyone I know I learned what little sailing skills I do have racing. Grief two yachts within sight of each other seems mean or soon to become a race,

Tags
sail