Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2023, 08:58   #1

How to dock with strong wind

I've been trying to figure out how to learn how to dock a 40 foot sailboat in reverse with a strong (20 knots+) wind blowing off the dock. Can anyone recommend a sailing school in New England that covers this topic. I'm aware of the ASA 118 but not really interested in spending time on basic docking skills. Thanks
rslotpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 09:16   #2

Re: How to dock with strong wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslotpole View Post
I've been trying to figure out how to learn how to dock a 40 foot sailboat in reverse with a strong (20 knots+) wind blowing off the dock. Can anyone recommend a sailing school in New England that covers this topic. I'm aware of the ASA 118 but not really interested in spending time on basic docking skills. Thanks
Most sailing schools will offer private lessons custom tailored to what you want to learn. When I was an instructor, I did this all the time for the school I worked for. A local school might even do it on your own boat.

You might just try the old fashioned way of just calling and talking to the local schools?
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 09:18   #3

Boat: Westsail 32

I can't recommend a sailing school, but what kind of sailboat is this? A lot depends on the keel shape, rudder configuration, and prop location. For instance, I have a full keel boat with a transom hung barndoor rudder immediately aft of the prop. It's near impossible to control in reverse, and I'm certain that in 20 kts of wind I would just end up with the transom pointing into the wind. For my boat, I would probably rely on a mix of tactics including prop walk, and a spring line.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 09:35   #4

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslotpole View Post

I don't think any generic course in a sailing school could teach you to dock your boat better than what you learn doing hands on training. I would recommend either a private instructor, or join a local sailing/boating/yacht club. I did that, and there was no shortage of old salts willing to teach me anything I needed to know.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 10:03   #5

Hi, thanks for your reply. I sail mostly hanses, beneteaus, jeanneaus and bavairas. prop walk is more or less the same on each of these, some but not too much
rslotpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 10:13   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Can you diagram what you want? Is the wind blowing perpendicular to the dock, or parallel to the dock? Is a long face dock or slip with fingers and/or poles.

Some of these are relatively easy, and some require Captain Ron.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 11:29   #7

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

are you med mooring? or trying to back the boat alongside a dock? A diagram would be nice

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 11:34   #8

Boat: Sabre 34

For me personally, docking in high wind depends on if I know the place I am docking at, is it a side tie or a finger pier, wind direction, and number of crew and dock hand available.

If I am in doubt I will anchor outside until conditions improve and then dock.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 11:35   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Have you learned how to "Back & fill" ? You must master this in order to maneuver in tough/tight situations.
Practice it out in open water,near a buoy or other fixe object-with no onlookers or boats around to distract you.
Cheers/Len
PS: You don't need a bow thruster.

Old 31-05-2023, 11:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Practice it out in open water,near a buoy or other fixe object-with no onlookers or boats around to distract you.
Cheers/Len
Agree with above, however I would recommend to not get too close to a buoy, I still have red marks on my starboard hull
Old 31-05-2023, 11:44   #11

Boat: O’Day 40

My wife is taking a two day course t(this very day) on docking at the Maryland School of Sailing in Annapolis. They are training on an Island Packet 36'.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 11:46   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
Agree with above, however I would recommend to not get too close to a buoy, I still have red marks on my starboard hull

You didn't do your early practice more than a boat length from buoy,did you?
Old 31-05-2023, 12:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
You didn't do your early practice more than a boat length from buoy,did you?
Sort of, did not factor in the strong current that pushed me on to the giant red nun

Before then, I didn't realize how big these drums are in reality
Old 31-05-2023, 21:25   #14

Boat: O’Day 40

First report from ND Sailing School is highly excellent. Wife feels 1000% more confident & she still has a full day tomorrow. Small class of 4 students, apparently an excellent instructor & plenty of wheel time. Bow-in, stern-in, backing, tight turns using forward/ reverse throttle, and using prop walk $ fishermen’s technique. If she’s grokking all of this I’m amazed, must be a good course.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 23:26   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Are you doing this docking singlehandedly? Are you in a fairway? How much room do you have downwind of you? ( I am guessing you are talking about an upwind slip.) I'd probably go bow in first, run very long lines (if you have any, in your case about 60' on each) off the bow then let the boat drift out and then walk the port bow line to the stbd stern and let the boat pivot around and have someone walk the stbd bow to the port stern at the same time, (making sure you have room for the boat to pivot completely around outside of the slip.) You can do it solo also because once one line is moved to the stern the boat will be held broadside to the wind. The you can go forward, free that line, and walk it back to the stern. The boat will then be stern-to the slip held by the lines to the quarters, if that makes sense. Then you can give it little boosts of reverse while someone takes up on the lines and makes sure the fenders are in place as the boat is pulled back into the slip with the lines on the stern quarters. I confess I haven't done it yet, but that's what I'd try if backing in won't work.

Sorry, that wasn't about backing with an engine.

I had to do something sorta similar to get into a downwind slip on a windy night. I ran a really long line off the bow and looped it on a cleat on the slip across the fairway from the slip I was going to. I was doing it alone so I took my time and let the boat fall back a bit then I walked the line back to the stern; the boat pivoted and then was pointed downwind to the slip I wanted. Then I hand-over-handed the boat down bow first to the slip from the stern. I had to wait just before entering the slip because the boat was sailing back and forth a bit. Once it was relatively calm, and the boat was aimed right, I let out about 15' of line, cleated it and ran forward to catch the boat in the slip and be sure fenders were in the right places. I was lucky, because as the line goes slack and the boat drifts, it may not go straight in. I had enough fenders at the ready to catch the hull hitting the dock. And I was a bit younger and didn't mind running up and jumping off to the dock. That was a 30' 10,000# boat.

Can't you just go bow in and wait for calm day to turn her around?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, wind