Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2018, 09:05   #46

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: How to get off of a windward dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The advantage of a bow thruster also depends on the type of boat..
I remember picking up a Beneteau 331 Oceanis on a delivery assist.. saucer hull, shallow stub with drop keel and twin rudders.. barely manageable at slow speed in calm conditions.
We had to leave the marina on a windy day.. the thruster was a waste of space, using a spring would not work as the wind just skidded the stern of the boat sideways as soon as you went astern to clear the bow of the boat behind..
Ended up running a line 200metres across the marina channel to a bollard and winching our way across to avoid damage to boats fore and aft of us.
Munched a load of spinach that day.
This! As usual boatman has given the solution. I am familiar with the possible Marina's in question. The fairways are narrow and you are never far from riprap sea walls or shallows. It's a must to be in full control.. Your gonna hit other boats or go aground. There are also required 90 degree turns immediately upon being underway. Going out forward is best if there is wind. I would never trust a line to pull free of a worn bull rail. It's gonna jamb. Get a helper on the dock to ensure that the line pulls free and recover all of it before going forward. In some conditions it's just too much.. Mitigate the risk, wait until it calms down.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 10:59   #47

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
Absolutely. Backing into the wind can be a good tactic in many situations including docking. Surprising how many people don't know this. Practice it.

Is there really any situation where backing into a side-tie is desireable?

Backing into the wind, when the dock is to windward?? If I did that in a strong wind my stern (sans bowthruster) would get to the dock but the bow would be blown way off downwind somewhere and I could not get off the boat. I'd have to somehow get onto the dock from the stern with a springline but it's more difficult to get off our boat at the stern if the dinghy is in the davits, the outboards are stowed on port quarter and the useless barbeque is on the starboard quarter.

But if I come in under control going forward, I can angle in correctly and kiss the dock amidships (lots of fenders) and will always have enough time to get from cockpit controls to jump to the dock amidships (center cockpit boat) with a spring line, leaving boat to idle forward and my wife at the helm to reverse when or if necessary.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 11:20   #48

Boat: Leopard 39

It's important to remember that owing to wind, current, windage, horsepower, and maneuvering room, there may be times when it's not prudent to try to depart a windward dock. Personally, I prefer being blown off a dock than onto one.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 11:27   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
It's important to remember that owing to wind, current, windage, horsepower, and maneuvering room, there may be times when it's not prudent to try to depart a windward dock. Personally, I prefer being blown off a dock than onto one.
Don't we all !!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 11:58   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Is there really any situation where backing into a side-tie is desireable?

Backing into the wind, when the dock is to windward?? If I did that in a strong wind my stern (sans bowthruster) would get to the dock but the bow would be blown way off downwind somewhere and I could not get off the boat. I'd have to somehow get onto the dock from the stern with a springline but it's more difficult to get off our boat at the stern if the dinghy is in the davits, the outboards are stowed on port quarter and the useless barbeque is on the starboard quarter.

But if I come in under control going forward, I can angle in correctly and kiss the dock amidships (lots of fenders) and will always have enough time to get from cockpit controls to jump to the dock amidships (center cockpit boat) with a spring line, leaving boat to idle forward and my wife at the helm to reverse when or if necessary.
Well, you don't back straight in, stern-first. You back in and flare just like you would coming in in ahead. Get a midship spring on and just power against it to pull the boat to the dock. You can "kiss" the dock either way -- the difference is that you have more control coming in with your stern more into the wind, than with your bow more into the wind. The "weathercocking force" trying to spin your boat around will be less.

Trying to come in in ahead against the wind, your bow will tend to blow off, steering you away from the dock. You can do it in most cases -- with enough speed and then last minute flare, but it's just easier, slower, and more controlled if you come in in astern. Your stern likes to go into the wind; your bow does not.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 15:09   #51

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
Indeed. My homeport is a challenge at times.Click image for larger version

Name:	Breeze off wharf @ high tide.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	165007

Click image for larger version

Name:	Half tide -Grand Manan.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	165008

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow & Stern lines.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	165009
Old 26-02-2018, 15:28   #52

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
TP,

Except for the fact that the DH leaves the line on the TOP of the bull rail, whereas all I've seen says to run the line under the rail to get it back aboard "smartly". I, too, may practice it, partly to see if this old geezer can actually learn a new trick. Then I'm a gonna tie some string to that danged grapnel hook I bought before I left San Francisco in 2016, and practice that sucker, too! One summer season under my belt with bull rails. I have mimicked your procedures with longer breast lines, have always used a long midship spring line. I don't like hopping off my boat, ever, without me being ON the boat. I have modified my technique when coming in to dock from midships line first from the boat, to breast lines first after stepping down to the dock. I still leave with the spring line last. Even with crew I singlehand when docking, and you're right, folks on a dock can really F up a good plan, try as hard as they do to be nice.

A friend with a sense of humor (?) told me bull rails were better 'cuz they provided a handy dandy step from your boat down to the dock.

We learned about the Douglas hitch from a power boater in Princess Louisa inlet this past summer. We have now used it extensively in BC and Alaska and found that it works pretty well. PNW bull rail docking was covered in another thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-170473.html

And in that thread, Bill Wakefield had a link to a "wonder product" that is made to grab bull rails when tossed onto the dock:

Easy Docker

Spendy - but look they would work ok
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 17:35   #53

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Is this one any good ?

Old 26-02-2018, 18:16   #54

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Given that you are single handed and you should assume like Murphy, that the wind will gust up just as you are committed, I would do it differently so that everything is within hand reach from the helm.

I would heavily fender my starboard aft quarter and stern.

Then run the bight of line around the dock cleat or rail near the aft 1/3rd of the boat.

Both ends run thru the aft fairlead and handy to the helm/throttle, so you can release when ready.

Remove all other lines and take easy strain astern so your bow wants to Warp out to Windward. Use thruster to assist a very slow and controlled swing out.

Small increments in Astern Propulsion if necessary while monitoring the fenders (keep a loose one handy)

When head to wind, idle ahead for space and carefully retrieve slip warping line.

Doesn't work with flimsy swim platforms or scoop, perfect with a canoe or rounded transom
I have a canoe stern and this is my preferred method when single handing if it's not blowing super hard as I can manage everything from the cockpit. My boat pivots out very nicely, and you can usually do it with the rudder already turned to port. Then in forward dig a hole and release the line. If it's blowing over 20-25 knots I'll usually back out but it can be a bit tense as you can't always see/follow what's going on at the bow with the dock and fenders.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 21:50   #55

We were talking about coming to the lee side of a pontoon :-)

Lots to learn from contemplating this!

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 02:04   #56
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Indeed. My homeport is a challenge at times.Attachment 165007

Attachment 165008

Attachment 165009
Just love it!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 02:12   #57
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
A very temporary solution and for a light weight fishing skif that's ok...I do something similar from tenders when waiting for someone.
But not something I would trust unattended
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 07:42   #58

This hitch is for tying well behaved ponies to the post while you nip in through the swinging half-doors. Not something a seaman would use in real life. As Pelagic sez: It ain't trustworthy :-)

TP
Old 27-02-2018, 07:57   #59

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
We were talking about coming to the lee side of a pontoon :-)

Lots to learn from contemplating this!

TP
Wow!
Mid ship line is already out.
Shift to ahead & turn wheel to stbd.
Power ahead til against the dock & leave idling in fwd gear
Run bow line from bow back to a dock cleat near the pump you want to use(like a bow spring)
Shift to rev & idle backwards.
The combination of bow & midship lines will draw boat in to dock right where you want it.

Len
Old 27-02-2018, 08:18   #60

Yes, My conclusion is that this is a charter boat, and that the "skipper" hasn't a clue.

I posted it, really, for those among us who are less experiences than the "old hands", and who may never have dealt with such a situation under command of an experienced skipper, nor had the evolution explained in detail, step by step, with all the "why"s and "wherefore"s

I think we can derive the greatest benefit from this clip by identifying and listing all the things the "skipper" appears to have done wrong or failed to do. The dock hand appears to be out of his depth too :-)

I listened again for the sound of the engine, but I hear none. Nor do I see exhaust water, so I doubt that the engine is running. It is possible that the engine died on him so late in the evolution that his fore-reach enabled him to come to the pontoon. How else could he have done that in what appears to be about 25Knts of wind?

With engine running, this should have been a piece of pie.

TP

Tags
dock, wind