Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 13:30   #76
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: How to get off of a windward dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
This boat appears to be twin screw, as almost all fishing vessels of this tonnage are, and possibly even twin Kortz-nozzles, so that makes life a whole lot easier :-)!

TP
I think it is only single screw because if it was twin, he could have pulled away parallel and astern, without any forward motion. But that video really shows nothing as there is no wind.

Parallel parking super yachts (+50m) where you have 2 meters space fore and aft takes twin screw and bow thruster to do with consistant precision, but that is not what the OP is asking.

What many skippers forget when focussed on a fresh wind, when leaving single handed,... is the current!

Study it carefully, because if you get your keel broadside to the stream, it is more powerful than the wind.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 13:38   #77

Boat: Nauticat 40 (1985)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

What many skippers forget when focussed on a fresh wind, when leaving single handed,... is the current!

Study it carefully, because if you get your keel broadside to the stream, it is more powerful than the wind.
Amen to that!

Once, on my Formosa 41 (no thruster) I needed to pull out of a slip, (starboard finger pier with starboard prop walk) and the current was strongly from my port to starboard. Wind was from starboard as well. I thought I might be able to fight the wind, but hadn't counted on the current.

So basically I had a situation where the wind wanted to blow my bow to port, the current wanted to take my stern to starboard, and guess what? I wanted to back out to port, turn starboard and go down the fairway.

I hoisted my mizzen sail and backed out with the mizzen acting as a stern thruster turning my stern to port. It worked great, but had I been more attentive to the current when approaching, I might not have needed to be so creative to extricate myself from that situation.
Korvessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 14:37   #78

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
This boat appears to be twin screw, as almost all fishing vessels of this tonnage are, and possibly even twin Kortz-nozzles, so that makes life a whole lot easier :-)!

TP

Nope. Single Screw 405HP Details for registered vessel ATLANTIC CONQUEST II (O.N. 823766)

Len
Old 01-03-2018, 16:51   #79

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Nope.
Dock is to Stbd. Single screw. Leaving dock under engine power.
In the video in question, they are apparently trying to go alongside and you said this:
Quote:
Shift to ahead & turn wheel to stbd.
Power ahead til against the dock & leave idling in fwd gear
The breastline will act as a pivot point if powering ahead, tending to pull the bow in. Rudder to starboard while powering fwd will kick the stern to port, with the bow going equal and opposite towards the dock.
If he powered fwd with a little port helm to keep the stern in, turning the breastline into a forespring, he could move into the dock while staying parallel to it.
Quote:
You can't "drive" a boat off a dock like a car: ie: by turning wheel away from dock & driving Fwd. You will tear the Stbd aft qtr to shreds as it scrapes along the dock.
Think of a boat like a forklift. You can only steer the back end. The bow cannot be moved-The bow can only be pointed-by shoving the stern sideways.
You could not drive a forklift Fwd off a wall to it"s stbd either.

Len
Thanks for the unsolicited lesson. If I ever have to drive a forklift off the dock, I'll know what to do
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 16:59   #80

Quote:
I listened again for the sound of the engine, but I hear none. Nor do I see exhaust water, so I doubt that the engine is running.
You wouldn't be able to hear anything over the wind. The exhaust water is clearly spurting out the starboard quarter, under the chine.
Old 01-03-2018, 17:57   #81

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
In the video in question, they are apparently trying to go alongside and you said this:

The breastline will act as a pivot point if powering ahead, tending to pull the bow in. Rudder to starboard while powering fwd will kick the stern to port, with the bow going equal and opposite towards the dock.
If he powered fwd with a little port helm to keep the stern in, turning the breastline into a forespring, he could move into the dock while staying parallel to it.

Thanks for the unsolicited lesson. If I ever have to drive a forklift off the dock, I'll know what to do
You & I have the OP's situation (wind holding him on a dock at his stbd) mixed up with the video of the French? flagged sailboat apparently trying to power in to a fuel dock on his stbd with the wind off the dock.

In the case of the sailboat & fuel dock with a mid spring out.
Powering ahead with wheel varied between port & straight,the mid spring will bring him alongside the dock.-You win on that one

In the case of the OP,or anyone,wind or current holding boat against the dock- especially singlehanded:
Turn the wheel toward the dock,brief burst of fwd to kick the stern away from the dock & then back away.
The only time I would turn my wheel away from the dock & power ahead would be if the wind was blowing me off the dock>> 4+ ft & there were no boats ahead of me.
I just don't know any other way to depart a side tie-singlehanded & w/o a strong bowthruster.

As for the forklift analogy,I was simply trying to make the point,for anyone interested,that driving a boat is very like driving a forklift-the stern can be steered & the bow can only be pointed as a result of moving the stern sideways. No offence intended.

Len
Old 01-03-2018, 21:41   #82

Boat: Beneteau First 44.7

The key to any docking procedure , including departure from a WINDWARD berth is developing a clear plan, including exit or bailout strategy. Advising crew members of plan, getting equipment (lines and fenders ready) and in case of an incoming berth doing a drive by to check on suitability of plan including suitability of bailout option. Be very wary of unwanted assistance from shoreside, unless you can be sure that your instructions will be adhered to, otherwise decline assistance.
I like to have a springer prepared cleated off on the 1/3 forward cleat with a bowline at other end at length just at stern cleat. Fenders on that side. The boat can be nosed in or brought alongside so that this loop can be place over a cleat or bollard where I want the aft lines to run. Once looped on the boat can be gently motored forward with bow being brought in by kicking transom out then kick transom in when bow line secured. I like to run my bow and stern lines looping around the jetty cleat/bollard so that length and cast off can be done from onboard.
When departing I might rerun springers so they loop back onboard if they are needed for departure manoeuvring. I do have a 50 metre 16mm 3 strand Silva line which I am prepared to use as a “sacrificial” springer if required to depart if pinned in and conditions warrant. Have used this line to depart a heavily pinned in by waves and wind dock with the only option to get enough engine grunt was forward. Had a large fender at stern, the springer line cleated to aft 1/3 Windward side cleat around a bollard approx 1 boatlength astern back to the forward 1/3 cleat as a turning block and then to the primary winch. Using the stern line as a springer to prevent the boat from moving aft and running the engine at high revs in forward I was then able to winch the bow out to approx 45 deg from dock with the stern cushioned against the fender. Was able to release and retrieve stern line with full engine revs, drop the springer from the winch and hope like hell that the line didn’t catch on the bollard or around the prop. As soon as I had released the springer I put the helm down to kick the stern out, helm straight and auto pilot on while I quickly pulled the springer up from astern. This is a calculated risk over the line check and no lines in the water before engaging prop.
Each situation is evaluated on its merits but it does pay to have the equipment and some rethought of how to deal with situation. This prethought is the best way of making sure that you don’t put yourself in such a situation.
frant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:22   #83

Quote:
You & I have the OP's situation (wind holding him on a dock at his stbd) mixed up with the video of the French? flagged sailboat apparently trying to power in to a fuel dock on his stbd with the wind off the dock.
Who was mixed up? I responded to your comment on TP's video, in which he clearly indicated was opposite to the OP's situation.

Quote:
In the case of the OP,or anyone,wind or current holding boat against the dock- especially singlehanded:
Turn the wheel toward the dock,brief burst of fwd to kick the stern away from the dock & then back away.
The only time I would turn my wheel away from the dock & power ahead would be if the wind was blowing me off the dock>> 4+ ft & there were no boats ahead of me.
I just don't know any other way to depart a side tie-singlehanded & w/o a strong bowthruster.
I don't disagree with the advice to the OP.
Bowthruster or not, if there's a strong current running along the face of the dock, steering out and powering against the current might be the best plan.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:44   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to get off of a windward dock

Quote:
I don't disagree with the advice to the OP.
Bowthruster or not, if there's a strong current running along the face of the dock, steering out and powering against the current might be the best plan.
Exactimo.. a good seaman will utilise nature as an additional tool.. not just rely on mechanics to do it all.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:47   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . . Bowthruster or not, if there's a strong current running along the face of the dock, steering out and powering against the current might be the best plan.
That's very good advice. Working the current can do wonders, and with enough of it, it can even overcome the wind.

On the flip side of that, if the current is on the wrong side of you, it can make such a maneuver absolutely impossible.

Key word in Lodesman's post being "against". I found all this out the hard way when I first started sailing here, first place I had ever sailed with strong tides. My first berth was in a marina in the middle of the Hamble River, where the tide rips at 2 or 3 knots at peak flow springs. I was lucky I only smashed a nav light and bent a pulpit the first time I tried to get into my berth going with the current
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 13:38   #86

following...
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 13:49   #87
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's very good advice. Working the current can do wonders, and with enough of it, it can even overcome the wind.

On the flip side of that, if the current is on the wrong side of you, it can make such a maneuver absolutely impossible.

Key word in Lodesman's post being "against". I found all this out the hard way when I first started sailing here, first place I had ever sailed with strong tides. My first berth was in a marina in the middle of the Hamble River, where the tide rips at 2 or 3 knots at peak flow springs. I was lucky I only smashed a nav light and bent a pulpit the first time I tried to get into my berth going with the current
The trick is to let the current get you level with your berth then get your reverse speed to just enough to hold you in place.. then slowly side slip into the space.
Got lots of practice doing this going alongside at Poole Quay where there's always a current in or out.. and usually boats stacked 2 or 3 deep.. can't afford cockups there.

Old 01-05-2018, 14:13   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Sadly the days of rafting up with dozens of other yachties at Poole Town Quay are over and its now a posh expensive marina.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 14:20   #89
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Sadly the days of rafting up with dozens of other yachties at Poole Town Quay are over and its now a posh expensive marina.

Pete
I know there's a marina there but last time I sailed along the S Coast one could still tie alongside the quay.. the marina opposite Poole Pottery is not that big and is full more often than not.

Old 01-05-2018, 14:27   #90

Boat: Leopard 39

All good advice. The importance of having a "plan B" in these situations can't be overstated because, when things turn to yogurt, it happens fast. Be aware too that there are conditions of wind and current direction and strength where your vessel should stay at the dock until the situation changes.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, wind