Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2013, 17:47   #31

Re: How to make money while sailing?

What about day charters . My bride and I did day sails out of the U.S.V.I for 13 years . Work for 7 months and then wander for five . Get ya a license and insurance and then a big stick to beat the customers away if ya get top many !
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 17:51   #32

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
load your boat with russian hookers,sail to the gulf and follow the american navy...........get sponsership from durex.....................
Do they have to be Russian?
Old 27-08-2013, 08:40   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'll be glad when the currency here to the baht improves. Last time I was in the Land of Smiles, the rate was 31 baht to the dollar. I was in Hua Hin and they had raised their prices about 30% from 3 years prior and at that time the baht was around 40. So it put a cramp on some of my activities there.
In regards to your idea of needing only 10% of your business. I use to import from SEA and Indonesia. The brokers I used got 10% to set up shipping and customs. They were ex-pats from here. PM me if you need any info on that.
I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for any Asian currency to come back around unless it were the yen or the indonesian rupe,everyone else is losing ground..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 09:02   #34

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradweston View Post
I'm a professional juggler.
What a coincidence! I'm a juggling professional.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 12:31   #35
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'll be glad when the currency here to the baht improves. Last time I was in the Land of Smiles, the rate was 31 baht to the dollar. I was in Hua Hin and they had raised their prices about 30% from 3 years prior and at that time the baht was around 40. So it put a cramp on some of my activities there.
Been nearly 6 years since I was in the LOS - my time there dated back to the mid 90's, including the Asian Crash.......92baht to the pound! (if only for a few days!)........IIRC in later years lots of US folks moaning like hell when the TBH dropped against the USD to 40 .

IMO most of the 3rd world currencies are on a long term appreciation against "us" - so folks who think they can retire at XX to the USD need to think what will happen at half that .

FWIW, for future years I have half an eye on Malaysia or even Indonesia (albeit that mostly that the lingo should be easy to learn!).......of course the right to change my plans - and resume my seat at the Temple of Nana (I remember when that was all open fields - well, at least the courtyard ).

Quote:
In regards to your idea of needing only 10% of your business. I use to import from SEA and Indonesia. The brokers I used got 10% to set up shipping and customs. They were ex-pats from here. PM me if you need any info on that.
Cheers for heads up and the offer , but I early on realised that doing "mainstream" business in SEA was mostly too much like hard work for not enough money. Last time around I eventually settled on pocket money and a bucket of "mojo" courtesy of the Wife / in-laws - being nigh on immortal was kinda addictive . Happy Days .

Next time I would actually be happy to "commute" - am easily bored...........and plenty of places one can stop off enroute, when you have a good reason to be missing .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 00:56   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for any Asian currency to come back around unless it were the yen or the indonesian rupe,everyone else is losing ground..
... because the US Economy is so strong?
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 01:24   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
Do they have to be Russian?
i have allways found russian girls to have great business sense,and love a job that envolves sex and travel

though i'm sure ukaraine girls would be just as accomodating
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 01:24   #38

Boat: none(fornow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy73 View Post
No but the Asian economy depends on the economies of North America and Europe.
kcmarcet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 03:10   #39

Boat: none(fornow)

How about "treasure hunting"? Here locally I have seen guys with metal detectors scanning the beaches and talk to a few of them about stuff they have found. One guy told me he has found jewelry valued at over $5000 for the gold and the stones.
kcmarcet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 18:22   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy73 View Post
All things are subject to change...
Old 28-11-2013, 07:15   #41
Marine Service Provider

I have a great idea ,why not build a floating meth lab onboard a boat? The profits would come rolling in from the sale of all that speed a person could make ,perfect ,what could go wrong? It aint like it could kill you..Just imagine what you could do with all that money,if you could get a way with it..I am so smart ,I know that it has NEVER been tried before and it is a "ground Floor"(6 ft under)business op...All naysayers need not comment,as I know this will work and I dont need to hear any negative input when this is such a "fool" proof plan...
Old 28-11-2013, 13:42   #42
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

If you are willing to cruise/sail in an area with good communications like cell phone and internet, then there really isn't any job you couldn't do from a land locked desk that you can do out "living the dream". It really depends on what the definition of "living the dream" means. For some, the "dream" involves not working. For what it is worth, here's my real life story and what worked for me. I retired at 39 and headed out cruising with the family and quickly got BORED...like go crazy bored. So while we were out cruising, I started up Cruise RO Water. I answer client emails and phone calls just like I was sitting at the "office" in San Diego and could have stayed out pretty much indefinitely earning enough to live like a king in Mexico (but under a bridge back in the United States). We untimately came back and are currently living aboard while the kids finish up high school and then this mom and dad are heading back to Mexico for official "retirement" and to continue living what the dream is for us. To us, the dream doesn't envolve not working...besides I don't really call talking to Cruisers as "work"....it's more like fun to me.

The key I think is earning money in US (or Canadian) wages but then spend the money in a low cost of living area. Honestly, when all you need to earn per money is $1000 it's a whole different world and opens up entirely different options. I know one cruiser who funds his life in Mexico by running websites that give out FREE information...he generates enough "Google Ad Clicks" from his multiple sites to pay for his families life down in Mexico.

It's sometimes hard for people to imagine just how comfortable you can live on so little money by just getting the heck out of the States! The lower cash burn rate of living aboard and cruising in Mexico for example is much easier to fund than doing it in the States. Heck just adding CARS back into our lives has added $400/mo in costs...sheesh...I gotta get back to Mexico!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 13:51   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I have a great idea ,why not build a floating meth lab onboard a boat? The profits would come rolling in from the sale of all that speed a person could make ,perfect ,what could go wrong? It aint like it could kill you..Just imagine what you could do with all that money,if you could get a way with it..I am so smart ,I know that it has NEVER been tried before and it is a "ground Floor"(6 ft under)business op...All naysayers need not comment,as I know this will work and I dont need to hear any negative input when this is such a "fool" proof plan...
i hate to be a naysayer.........but i think you should rethink you bussiness plan
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 14:56   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i hate to be a naysayer.........but i think you should rethink you bussiness plan
I thought someone would have posted a link to the two dead fellows that were found on a boat in California today..
Old 28-11-2013, 15:03   #45

This one!
2 Men Found Dead On Floating Meth Lab In Delta Near Pittsburg « CBS San Francisco

Not a really smart place to do heavier than air toxic chemicals....

Guy
:-)
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money, sail, sailing