Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2022, 09:59   #16

Re: How to rig anchor?

Have you considered walking around the docks in your neighborhood and seeing what other folks have done? Have you considered looking at basic boating books?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 11:00   #17

Boat: Vancouver 27'

I am trying to picture what is being described. Basically an arch across the roller base that will somehow stop the chain from running all the way out?

Oddly enough my photo shows 2 chains running out (I think) yet there is only one chain rigged for an anchor.

How does the loop stop the chain from running off the bow?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2C6D8AC-B83B-4E6B-AC1C-E8DB259BD191.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	256700  
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 11:34   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharad View Post
I am trying to picture what is being described. Basically an arch across the roller base that will somehow stop the chain from running all the way out?

Oddly enough my photo shows 2 chains running out (I think) yet there is only one chain rigged for an anchor.

The loop over the roller just keeps the chain or line from jumping off the roller, like when the bow is pitching or pulling hard to one side. It is not meant to stop the chain from rolling over the roller. My own roller has the loop or arch over the roller cut in the middle which is ideal because sometimes you do want to lift the chain/line (rode) off the roller.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 16:41   #19

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharad View Post

I think DonCL answered that question already well, such arch is used to prevent the chain/rope to come off the rollers.
In regards to the photo in your 2nd post (post #17), i think there is a pin that secures the anchor on the roller, by lining up a hole in the anchor shank and pushing it through the other side of the bow roller.
When this pin is pulled, anchor is free to drop when the skipper says so.
When the anchor is down in the water, that pin is put back and then preventing the chain/rope to jump off the roller. I will find find a pic of such securing pin to attach here.

In regards your post in #12. I see only one chain going in the hawsepipe (the one that is curved 90 degrees with a hinged lid).

The use a 2 anchors at the same time...... not many people do that under normal circumstances. So in the beginning, do not worry about setting two anchors. Master the skills of one anchor first, and then (in 1 or 2 years' time) decide if using 2 anchors is needed. My guess is that 99% of all sailors do not use 2 anchors at the same time, and the 1% that does, do that only when a big storm/typhoon/hurricane./cyclone is approaching. Yes, I can think of two other situations that a boatie can set 2 anchors, but again, it is not common.

Yes, if one travels far, many boats will carry 2 anchors, and a second anchor chain, but that chain/rope needs to be stored in a different compartment, completely separate from the first/main anchor chain. If that is not done, it will surely tangle when you let it out, and surely it will on the occasion that weather is foul, sails are torn, engine can not be started, it is pitchblack and you are drifting towards the rocks.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor retaining pin.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	256715  
Old 26-04-2022, 20:02   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Why do I get the feeling that someone is playing games here.

Do you think he is pulling your chain?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 03:40   #21

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

I think there are some very patient people on here. There are countless books & articles on anchoring. Why ask people to keep reinventing the wheel? Such utter lack of basic knowhow will certainly carry over to many other areas of basic seamanship. I would suggest the OP & anyone like him buy some basic books - old secondhand ones maybe to start with as the basic knowledge they seek has been around for decades. Hope that helps.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 04:06   #22

Indeed, there are some very patient people here. And they respond to questions.

Alternatively there are very impatient people here. They like to be unhelpful and sometimes just like making comments.

The wheel gets reinvented each time one person explains how it works to another.

Then there are the impatient ones who complain about the inquirer AND the teacher.

They seem to think they are the sole arbiters of "what is known", "what SHOULD be known" and "who falls outside of their chosen boundaries".

I have an abundance of books, videos and even a marina full of boats. At this moment I have the riggers apprentice and the Sailboat Maintenance manual sitting on my desk. But you feel free to assume whatever you like.

Those who choose to complain about both my and the initial post are just that, complainers. They are not being trolled. Just don't answer if you are so aggravated by someones question. I don't want to aggravate you, and frankly, unless you are answering my question, I don't care if you read or acknowledge my question in any way at all.

Why? Because I am asking a sincere question, which YOU are trolling. Or perhaps bullying is a better term.

If you do not like my question, please feel free NOT to respond.

To the very patient people who have responded quite carefully and helpfully, Thank you
Old 27-04-2022, 04:58   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

All chain rode for peace of mind. 10x in shallow water less scope needed in deeper waters

Read HInz , on anchoring , it’s the bible
Old 27-04-2022, 08:53   #24

Now now. I thought i was being helpful in pointing out that the lack of knowledge indicated in the questions being asked probably indicated a need for some basic research over a much wider range of equally basic seamanship issues. The life you save may be your own. Be careful out there…
Old 27-04-2022, 13:44   #25

I was just talking to a very good friend of mine who has been in the boat service business for 40 years but hasn’t owned a boat in 30. He just got one and is getting ready to do a trip out to the local islands, his first in years. Last night we were chatting and he had some questions for me some might regard as foolish. I did not tell him to go read a book because he is my friend. I answered his questions in a way I hope showed I respected him no matter what. If we can respond like that, as though the questioner is an old friend, we’ll be in good shape around here. If someone is truly a troll here, they will be shown the door, fear not.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 27-04-2022, 13:46   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
Now now. I thought i was being helpful in pointing out that the lack of knowledge indicated in the questions being asked probably indicated a need for some basic research over a much wider range of equally basic seamanship issues. The life you save may be your own. Be careful out there…

Clivevon,

Then I accept your suggestions in the spirit in which they are given. My lack of knowledge is profound.

This said, it is far superior to a non-sailor. I have completed my radio liscensure and the practical day skipper along with many days on day sailors. The practical aspects of rigging a boat and the complexities off a specific 30 year old boat that has been disassembled is challenging. I am not ashamed to admit my ignorance reading can only get you so far.
There are people in this forum that are an amazing wealth of knowledge. I would not waste my time (or theirs) pretending to be ignorant...I AM IGNORANT, and will do what i must to educate myself.
Old 27-04-2022, 13:56   #27

Don,

Thank you for understanding. I am 64 and starting to fulfill a life dream. I cannot begin to comprehend someone wasting their time and the time of the experienced sailor here for some kind of perverse amusement.

I see this forum as an invaluable resource...because it IS an invaluable resource. I appreciate people putting up with my glaring gaps in some basic facts they don't even consider an issue. How to best stow my fenders? What are these weird woven lines that go from 10 inches around down to a long single strand? What is this device I need to attach to my stanchion? How the hell do I start my motor?

The list is endless and I restrain myself and don't ask.

I am alone in a foreign country, figuring it all out from scratch. I am sorry if I am a bit sensitive to criticism, when I ask a question.
Old 27-04-2022, 16:38   #28

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I was just talking to a very good friend of mine who has been in the boat service business for 40 years but hasn’t owned a boat in 30. He just got one and is getting ready to do a trip out to the local islands, his first in years. Last night we were chatting and he had some questions for me some might regard as foolish. I did not tell him to go read a book because he is my friend. I answered his questions in a way I hope showed I respected him no matter what. If we can respond like that, as though the questioner is an old friend, we’ll be in good shape around here. If someone is truly a troll here, they will be shown the door, fear not.
I agree with you Don. Thank you.
I agree with many others as well when they say, "walk the dock", " check out the local marina" or "ask around". Looking physically at how other people do it, is very important. However..... learning has different facets: books, face to face, practical, and maybe internet/forums is a bit of all these three (hehehe, Youtube is very close to hands-on /practical experience)

For genuine inquiring posters, with often complicated questions, or ill-defined questions, I think it is too easy for long time posters to say "walk the dock". The person who enquires does not need to hear that, as the only reply. He/she needs an explanation or an answer, and then a reference where more details can be found, at a marina, an internet site, a book etc.

Yes, some long time posters may get tired explaining the same thing over and over, but when teaching in a school or at uni, does the teacher not teach the same topic to each year of students which come through his class? All the students have if not the same, at least similar questions.

Now the very hard part is to distinguish between trolls, looking for members to take the bait, and genuinely interested first time posters.

Maybe we can accommodate trolls, like we did more or less in a recent thread on towing a 50ft powerboat across the Atlantic. It became an entertaining thread, and no feathers were ruffled as far as I can recall. Just assuming that that thread was started to bait a few members.

Anyway back to rigging an anchor
Old 27-04-2022, 16:45   #29

To be honest, I'd like to know a better way to stow my fenders too!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 28-04-2022, 01:23   #30

This forum is as close to social media as i get so actually I dont know what a troll is. (Please don’t tell me, if i really want to know i will look it up…). I will admit to maybe being a grumpy old git at times, possibly, for which i can only apologise. Anyway, i am suitably chastened.

Tags
anchor