Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 11:45   #1

Boat: Oyster 66
How to use a snubber with a bowsprit?

Here’s a picture of the bowsprit. I can’t work out the best way to install a snubber to the anchor chain. As the picture shows when the boat swings one of the bridle lines chafes on the bow of the boat. I’d rather it didn’t.

I’ve been watching how others do it and I don’t like much what is done usually, which is to run a snubber line on or under the chain. Fine for the mostly moderate conditions, but not when windy. The problem is chafe to the snubber and it puts the side load from sailing at anchor further forwards on the bowsprit, which doesn’t seem appropriate to me.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5291.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	292325  
poiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:37   #2

Re: How to use a snubber with a bowsprit?

You can do what many cat sailors do and use an eye near the waterline. Perhaps even the one to which the bobstay is connected, leaving the evaluation of suitability to you. This also increases effective scope.

If you use a fixed snubber then all done. If you use/want an adjustable snubber then you can put a low friction ring or block at that location and pass the snubber through and up to the deck, selecting the exact location of the turning device to limit chafe.
PippaB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
You can do what many cat sailors do and use an eye near the waterline. Perhaps even the one to which the bobstay is connected, leaving the evaluation of suitability to you. This also increases effective scope.

If you use a fixed snubber then all done. If you use/want an adjustable snubber then you can put a low friction ring or block at that location and pass the snubber through and up to the deck, selecting the exact location of the turning device to limit chafe.
Yes, I thought of beefing up the bobstay fitting. As you say, it increases scope usefully. It’s a big job, expensive, requires engineering and has aesthetic implications too. I’m hoping for another way. There ought to be a good way. Most modern monohulls have bowsprits now.
Old Today, 12:43   #4
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Here’s a picture of the bowsprit. I can’t work out the best way to install a snubber to the anchor chain. As the picture shows when the boat swings one of the bridle lines chafes on the bow of the boat. I’d rather it didn’t.

I’ve been watching how others do it and I don’t like much what is done usually, which is to run a snubber line on or under the chain. Fine for the mostly moderate conditions, but not when windy. The problem is chafe to the snubber and it puts the side load from sailing at anchor further forwards on the bowsprit, which doesn’t seem appropriate to me.

Any thoughts?
I can't see how your chain runs in your bowsprit. But I have a bowsprit in my boat also, and usually run my snubber line on the chain. I've anchored in pretty feisty weather and have on occasion put chafe protection on my line where it runs through my bowsprit. I'm not sure why you feel why running that line further forward would not be appropriate.

On my boat, it usually sails less at anchor running my line like that. I have used a bridal running off the side fairleads and but that usually is not as stable. There have been a couple times when that was not the case and using the bridal worked better, but 95% of the time my boat is more stable with the line running along the chain going out my bowsprit. There is the problem when running a bridal that the lines chafe on the the bobstay, something I don't like and it's much harder to put and keep chafe protection at that location.

I think you need to try different setups to see how your boat behaves. But I like the single line running along my chain and coming out of the bowsprit at the same connection point as the chain runs out.

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
I can't see how your chain runs in your bowsprit. But I have a bowsprit in my boat also, and usually run my snubber line on the chain. I've anchored in pretty feisty weather and have on occasion put chafe protection on my line where it runs through my bowsprit. I'm not sure why you feel why running that line further forward would not be appropriate.

On my boat, it usually sails less at anchor running my line like that. I have used a bridal running off the side fairleads and but that usually is not as stable. There have been a couple times when that was not the case and using the bridal worked better, but 95% of the time my boat is more stable with the line running along the chain going out my bowsprit. There is the problem when running a bridal that the lines chafe on the the bobstay, something I don't like and it's much harder to put and keep chafe protection at that location.

I think you need to try different setups to see how your boat behaves. But I like the single line running along my chain and coming out of the bowsprit at the same connection point as the chain runs out.

dj
It won’t work for my boat. The problem which I admit is hard to see from the picture is that the chain runs from the below deck windlass through a pipe in the bow to a set of rollers inset into the bowsprit, then it drops down over a low slung roller about 1.3m in front of the boat. There is no room for a snubber rope in the pipe as it is full with chain.

The 1.3m long lever arm is what concerns me. An anchor in storm conditions will impose many times the load the sails ever subject the boat to and whilst I don’t really know exactly what load it can cope with it the the steel roller fitting is certainly not substantial enough.

Tags
bowsprit