Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 10:30   #31

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.
Re: How would you go Bvi to pnw?

We are not extravagant cruisers by any stretch but I would take Scaramanga's estimate of $10,000 and triple it.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:36   #32

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Another option is to cruise north in the spring and do the Canadian Maritimes and Great Lakes and truck or train it from Ontario. That is a wonderful sail and the Erie Canal and or the Saint Lawrence Seaway are great trips as well.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:38   #33

If you're considering a used bare boat......forget it.
Sitting here on my boat in Peter Island, BVI the only way I would consider this trip wopuld be to sail over to the Canal make the transit for the experience and then have it loaded on a ship for the remainder of the journey. You're looking at a difficult time and can be very expensive.
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:45   #34

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Unsubscribed.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:13   #35

Boat: KP 46

The gen set should be no problem, no rewiring etc, nearly all gen sets have a set of connectors “strapped for 220 and or 110” . they are connector bars on screw terminals. Easy to do, but sometimes not easy to understand the proper connections. As for 50 vs 60 hz most 50 hz gen sets spin at 1500 rpm, and 60 hz spin at 1800 rpm, just have to adjust the governor. It is really not a problem. Just be aware some of the gear on the boat may be 50 hz.

As for the trip, well, once through Panama I would suggest you work north enjoying Costa Rica until you are tired of going against the wind and current, then head for Hawaii, enjoy the sights, then north a bit until you get some westerlies and head for Cape Scott, and then if you can Cape Flattery. The ride out to Hawaii is pretty easy, the trip from there to coast can have a few days of a bit of wind, but by then you should be pretty well up dealing with it. It is not a bad trip, it is sailing.

Have fun, don’t be afraid of adventure, it is life.
Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 15:40   #36

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunita View Post
Thanks guys. I have looked at a lot of closer boats! One aspect of a Carribean purchase is an excellent trip home! Future cruising from B. C. Would likely be southwest towards the South Pacific and beyond, so may not see Carribean and Gulf cruising again. Unless of course you just keep going west! Limited number of boats and much more expensive on the west coast.
If your future cruising plans are to do the S Pacific, why not buy a local boat for a few years, and then buy a boat in the Caribbean when you're ready to do the S. Pacific and skip the trip up the West Coast?
Old 01-02-2016, 16:52   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunita View Post
Ok so we are seriously looking at a used Jeanneau 51, presently lying in the BVI's. We live in the pacific northwest and would need to bring her home. This presents an opportunity for a great voyage! I have never done this route or a canal transit, and it sounds like a chance to explore a bit, but primarily is a delivery. I have an idea of when and how I would route the trip, but wondered if there would be anyone willing to share their ideas?
I am wondering when you would undertake this and where you would go? The obvious challenges are hurricanes in the gulf and then getting north against the current and weather vs. Going west offshore and then back to the coast.
I know this forum includes many folks who have experience in this area and I appreciate your thoughts!
Cheers, Brad
Ps. Anyone switched a 220 volt generator to 110??
Check out this site...
s/v Honeymoon! | The Hynes Honeymoon!
dazm3271 is offline   Reply With Quote