Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 10:06   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hurricane & Tropical Storm Preparation Videos Tips

I have created a playlist on youtube that is focused on Hurricane Preparation (and Tropical Storm Preparation) videos. My playlist contains 40 videos (as of Oct 5 2016). It also includes videos of sailboats in hurricanes, including a few at anchor, a few in rescue videos etc. I will add videos in the future as I find them. If you have a video you wish to have added, please post a link below or send me a PM. I hope this helps others prepare.

Sail safe!

Playlist for 40+ Videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...A0zu_b7DrXe-sG

There are a few videos I especially recommend as instructive:

1. Westmarine - Preparing Your Boat for a Hurricane
A good video that gives 10 tips on hurricane preparation, with those tips taken from a free downloadable 12 page document published by BoatUS. Most of the video is about dock lines, but does mention some tips on being on the hard. Some might see this as a promotional video for boatus, but I think there is some value to it. Here is a link to the video (with Chuck Hawley narrating):
https://youtu.be/M-Dj5de79Jo

Here is a link to the site where you can download the 12 page PDF booklet and what looks like a useful downloadable hurricane preparation form (where you can enter your plan and important info). This website also has information about current hurricanes and lots of info you might find helpful. BoatUS Hurricane Tracking & Resource Center

2. Tropical Storm Tactics - Tying a Sailboat in Mangrove
Excellent video with very good demonstration and narration of choosing a location (in an anchorage at a Caribbean island), tying a boat into the mangrove root system, and what happens.
https://youtu.be/f4PdWV9T1jI

3. Hurricane Wilma Adventure
The best video I have seen that shows what can happen if one stays on their boat. This video shows what happens to a cruiser who elected to stay aboard his boat in Florida during a hurricane. Very good video footage that shows the effects of the wind on the water and white out conditions. Unfortunately, the boat was lost (sank) at the end, after the bow of the boat broke somehow (not explained in the video, but mentioned by the video producer in the comments) or the mooring line parted (unknown). Final still image shows the boat underwater at a pier.
https://youtu.be/W88A7fSb33I

4. Sailboat Caught in Hurricane Julio off Oahu
This video shows USCG aerial footage of the boat in the seas after a Hurricane passed nearby and the condition of the boat. The crew was rescued, though that is not shown in this video. The captain said in an interview that the sails were unable to be used due to the wind strength and the engine was not useable because the wave action had stirred up sludge in his fuel tank and they could not keep the fuel filters clean. So, the boat was simply adrift and out of control.
https://youtu.be/fEiFCe1s9ig
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:40   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Hurricane & Tropical Storm Preparation Videos Tips

The 3 vid is a frightening scenario, I will add that I'm not a fan of chain jackstands together, for personal experience I see 2 boats fall off for this reason, jackstand shaking, failing and dragging the other one to the ground, marina crews trying to untangle both jackstands and the boat falling off with serious consequences, it happen to me and for me the best solution is double the numbers of jackstands, I mean for a 40 footer there is a minimum of 6 to 8 jackstands , well multiply by 2 in a serious storm, yeah sounds crazy but it work, at least 8 in every side, jackstand work poorly if they don't have a good grip, to hig and they tend to slip in the hull , to low and the side load suffer, they work well if the legs are under solid material, in soft grounds thick plywood do the trick, also I see in the video a bunch of powerboats sharing ground screws with straps , another mistake, if one decide to go he drag the other to if is unlucky and the strap resist the loads, ground screws 6 for each boat 2 for bow cleats , 2 amidship and 2 stern to,, now the 90% of the boatyards don't have the space or resources, so they pack the boats tight enough and share ground screws, straps need to set really tight, rain tend to loose or soft the material and become loose over time... and quite frankly those hig aspect deep dratf boats need the mast down as well the rest , this work for us really well after 20 years of Canes in St Marteen, and never have a problem, just in Lenny ...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:44   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
The 3 vid is a frightening scenario, I will add that I'm not a fan of chain jackstands together, for personal experience I see 2 boats fall off for this reason, jackstand shaking, failing and dragging the other one to the ground, marina crews trying to untangle both jackstands and the boat falling off with serious consequences, it happen to me and for me the best solution is double the numbers of jackstands, I mean for a 40 footer there is a minimum of 6 to 8 jackstands , well multiply by 2 in a serious storm, yeah sounds crazy but it work, at least 8 in every side, jackstand work poorly if they don't have a good grip, to hig and they tend to slip in the hull , to low and the side load suffer, they work well if the legs are under solid material, in soft grounds thick plywood do the trick, also I see in the video a bunch of powerboats sharing ground screws with straps , another mistake, if one decide to go he drag the other to if is unlucky and the strap resist the loads, ground screws 6 for each boat 2 for bow cleats , 2 amidship and 2 stern to,, now the 90% of the boatyards don't have the space or resources, so they pack the boats tight enough and share ground screws, straps need to set really tight, rain tend to loose or soft the material and become loose over time... and quite frankly those hig aspect deep dratf boats need the mast down as well the rest , this work for us really well after 20 years of Canes in St Marteen, and never have a problem, just in Lenny ...
Thanks for posting that. I value your experience and observations.
Old 06-10-2016, 13:43   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Great thread... very useful information
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 15:02   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bump for Hurricane Season

I hope the videos and content help others avoid loss.
Old 04-09-2017, 16:56   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bump for Irma

Some threads with tips and suggestions for storm preparation.

Hurricane and Tropical Storm Preparation Videos (40+)
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ps-173800.html

Tips for Weathering a Storm in a Marina
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...na-171970.html

Tandem Anchoring Advice
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-171977.html
Old 05-09-2017, 04:42   #7

Its a CAT 4 ,, no mercy for the islands, best tip ever, run for shelter hig and dry as posible, boats can be replaced , life not...
Old 05-09-2017, 04:51   #8

I say 4? well its a CAT 5 right now..
Old 05-09-2017, 13:26   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

This deserves a bump. Also a link to the Australian couple that survived up a mangrove river a few months ago. I wouldn't advise staying aboard during a major hurricane but this couple did it well.

DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 13:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
This deserves a bump. Also a link to the Australian couple that survived up a mangrove river a few months ago. I wouldn't advise staying aboard during a major hurricane but this couple did it well.
A point to add, that's a relatively heavy Bowman 47, maybe boat weight also has to do with survival...
Old 06-09-2017, 10:33   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Saw this video shared today Sept 6, 2017, shows the damage to Saint Martin, filmed during the eye, and shows hundreds of boats in the marina, many piled up.
Sorry, this is the only link I have at this time, and it is on Facebook. Originally posted on a media site located in Guadeloupe.

Saint Martin; Irma, Boats
https://www.facebook.com/RCIGUADELOU...5794580239645/
Old 06-09-2017, 12:39   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Thanks for another good thread Steady. Hopefully few of us will wind up in situations where we need to use this information, but it's definitely a good form of "insurance".

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 13:22   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hurricane Irma (September 6, 2017)

Photo taken by Ron Gurney while in the eye of Irma, compared to at Paraquita Bay before.

Paraquita in Tortola.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5811.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	155502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5810.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	155503  

Old 06-09-2017, 13:46   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I wonder how many of those boats will ever sail again? Sad to see a lot of dreams crushed like that. And all of the hours of love poured into boats going to waste.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 15:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I wonder how many of those boats will ever sail again? Sad to see a lot of dreams crushed like that. And all of the hours of love poured into boats going to waste.
Hopefully bare financials are covered by the insurance - emotional loss and probably next year's sailing cannot be compensated.

If there is a single steel boat in the pile, that would be my bet for being a survivor.

Tags
cal, hurricane