Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 12:04   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Oh Joy weathered Ivan with the loss of the Mizzen. No other damage.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 14:09   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Oh Joy weathered Ivan with the loss of the Mizzen. No other damage.

Were you in Pensacola? Where was she moored??
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 14:47   #33

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Hi Imagine!
Which marina in GCSs are you located? I was there two weeks ago to check it out. I went to the Green Cove Springs marina and walked to the end of the pier. Those are some heavy-duty piers. The other marina, I think it was called Reynolds or something, was locked and no one at the office. It looks really nice.

I'm currently in Gainesville. We have our boat at the Santa Rosa Yacht Club near Pensacola Beach. The last two years as soon as there's a hurricane that might even think about coming into the Gulf of Mexico, we head up the Mobile River and up to Midway Marina in Fulton MS (near Tupelo). We currently have a motor vessel (48' HiStar). It's getting too expensive to move her, as much as we love her.

Planning to get a cruising catamaran and initially put her either in Green Cove Springs, or step the mast and go to Palatka until we're ready to cast off and cruise for good.

Then when hurricane season comes, we'll head for Bocas del Toro and check out Starfish62's new marina!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
My first year in Florida was 03. I stayed on the Halifax in Daytona at Caribbean Jack's. I think it was Ivan that came through. Even though the storm was 200 miles away the river came up to the bottom of the docks.

I told my wife we would have to go anchor in the river if the storm comes closer. Early summer next year I met a man who told me about GCS's. We checked it out, and then came here. A year later bought a house, and another year opened a shop. Now I am trying to set myself up to sail to the Philippines in several more years + or -.
sailorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 16:06   #34

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Hurricane? 2 years in a row

II have survived 2 hurricanes on my 35' sloop. First on was in Block Island RI, when Hurricane Bob went over the island. We had 135 mph winds.
I anchored the boat away from the other 175 or so boats, in 20' of water, with 3 anchors. 35 # plow, 30# or so Danforth copy, and a 22S danforth. About 200' of rode and 20-30 feet of chain on each. Vinyl tubeing chafe protection.
We got off the boat and went to a shelter. After it was over 50+ boats were on the beaches, with MAJOR damage, and 5 or so boats were missing? A big problem was a boat on a mooring would break loose and it's anchor on the bow, would snag anothers shrouds, and take the mast down, after banging together for a while.
My boat survived without a scratch. The anchor which was facing the 135 mph winds was the 22S danforth, a $30 anchor. Go figure. And when it came to get it up, I didn't even need to winch it up. ???

The next year in Marathon FL, in the Keys, Hurricane Andrew was heading my way. I went up the SW coast to the Little Shark river and tied to the mangroves, and set 3 anchors in the river. The anchors dragged, but I picked the right side of the river and the boat just got scratched up by the mangroves. I couldn't get 1 anchor up after it was over, and tied it to a stern cleat and dulled and pulled, then the line (5/*" 3 strand" snapped with wwhat souynded like a 44 mag going off!
After it over and the CG radioed the boaters to see if all was well, they said 10 miles from us, "it looked like a vacuum cleaner went thru the Everglades"
I think we got about 160 - 175 mph winds. It sucked.
Oh, marathon got about 35 mph winds!!!
My boat has been on the hard in my back yard for 4 years, and I tie it
to a couple of screw anchors and a tree, and Pray. I think it has grown roots and should be OK!
Cliff
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 06:58   #35
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
This is the west side of Ft. Lauderdale several years ago. We drove through about a week after the hurricane. There were places where it looked like a giant stepped onto the denuded forest. The trees were pressed flat to the ground.

Sailorgal,

I am at Reynolds Park directly across from the 2 cruise ships

Reynolds Park Yacht Center

You can contact Capt. Dave Peden if you need any questions answered. The place is pretty friendly. We have regulars coming, and going on a seasonal basis. I use to be one, but went back to work. There many nice amenities that comes with the dockage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurricane sticks.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	3562  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 09:14   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
Were you in Pensacola? Where was she moored??
She was in Pensacola but it was a PO so I don't know what she was moored. I just know the winds took the Mizzen off the boat. She was completely restored shortly afterwards.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote