Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2015, 19:37   #1

Boat: 45' Plywood Ketch, Homebuilt
Inflatable Kayaks - Wet or Dry?

Looking to replace second RIB with something that can be easily stored. Considering an inflatable kayak, but wonder if some brands are dryer than others. Would like to be able to casually visit other boats or go ashore (not thru a surf) without getting too wet.
SVJennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 21:14   #2

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: Inflatable Kayaks - Wet or Dry?

I've got one of these.

Chinook™ XP Two | AquaGlide Kayak

Other than a few drops of water dripping off the airborne paddle blade, I have not had any water come aboard. In the event that some water is shipped, the floor is constructed so that a fair amount will remain in sort of a "bilge" that runs around the perimeter of the boat. Additionally, the Seat bottom is fairly thick so as to further elevate ones butt above any potential water that comes aboard. I paddle in street clothes with little concern of getting wet.

I have not paddled in waves larger than 1 foot. All bets are off if you get caught out in a bigger chop. Probably not possible to paddle into much bigger waves/wind so getting wet will be the least of your problems in that case.

The kayak is stored in a bag in the lazarette. It takes me about 15 minutes to make ready for use or to stow.

Quality is fine. I recommend the product for casual paddling.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:54   #3

Boat: 45' Plywood Ketch, Homebuilt

Thanks Steve - your input really helps me to better understand kayaks. I have never been in or on one, but believe they could reduce the usage of a larger dink and outboard.

Thanks again,

Neil
SVJennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:04   #4
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Look at the Hobie inflatables with Mirage Drives. No paddle splash at all.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:48   #5

Boat: youngquist viking 34

Kyaks are low to the water wakes happen, if you have enough freeboard to stay dry the wind is going to blow you around. Carry a change of clothes in a dry bag, and or wear fast dry clothes just in case.
wooden head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:24   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

We don't often take water over the sides or bow but do take in a surprising amount from the paddles. We've learned to sit on a boat cushion to get fannies out of the puddle.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 13:20   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Some are self--draining (with a drain plug) some are not. Some have ribbed floors, more likely to let the water run under you. But a real kayak always has a coming and you can always tie in a spray skirt, and that's what keeps a real kayak dry.

These PVC "kayaks" are really canoes, no provision for deck and spray skirt. Sityaks even worse. They ain't kayaks, no matter who tries to sell them as suck. You be better off in a real canoe, where there are seats to keep your butt above the wet floor, in that case.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:07   #8

Boat: Swift 33

I recently bought one of these GRAND inflatable boats: ARGUS - foldable inflatable canoe the smallest 380 version. It's basically a dinghy / canoe hybrid.

I've only used it on inland waters so no wave experience but it works very well.
Very stable and dry, except for the water that comes of the paddles, when I paddle it alone with a double kayak style paddle the floor (my feet) get wet after a while but that can also be due to my technique or a poor choice of paddle.
But as I'm sitting on the rear seat, it's just my feet that get wet.

It has little skeggs at the back which make it track pretty well.
But like anything that sits high on the water the nose gets blown away by wind fairly quickly.

I've tried it with an old (1960) 3hp johnson outboard and it easily planes and would guess reaches around 4-5 knots of speed.
Due to the skeggs that block the prop wash when you turn the engine 90° it does not make very tight turns though but again tracks well.
iGrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:34   #9

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

Stearns kayaks and some west marine ones made by stearns collect water through the hull, fabric on the outside above waterline with inflated air tube pressed hard against it, slowly lets water from waves come in. Dry enough for a 1 mile paddle, but wet after that. I solve the problem with a tubing under the inflated floor, suck and spit for a minute removes a cup of water. Not very tasty. I did a 20 mile everglades camping trip in one, a tandem with gear, it was one of the toughest paddling boats I've ever been in.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:07   #10

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

No one inventing electric paddle??

Btw, what's the difference.. kayak/canoe !? A skirt-cover ?
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:20   #11

Boat: Dean Oceancomber 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post

Just had to jump in here. Probably not what you are looking for but for the real deal and great info check out the Pygmy or CLC websites. My Murrelet has been the best addition to my cat.Totally addicting and opens up unseen and unreachable treasured experiences.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:31   #12

Whitewater paddlers use what's called a drip ring to keep water from running down the paddle on to your hands and/or into the boat. They can be bought commercially or fashioned from duct tape. Anything works that will cause the water to drip before it gets to you.

Also, for easier paddling into the wind, make sure your double ended paddle blades are at 90 degrees to each other. That way, the paddle you have up in the air cuts through the wind, not into it acting like a sail.

I've not done it ... but it seems like one could fashion and attach a rudder of some kind to help you keep going 'straight' like a sea kayak does. If your not used to paddling, you can expend a lot of energy just trying to go straight ahead.

Also, kneeling could be advantagous like you do in a canoe, if you can balance yourself. A wider inflatable would be more stable and easier to use the double bladed paddle.

You can carry a cheap plastic bottle w/ the bottom of it cut out to use as a water baler or scoop.
Formosa46AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:54   #13

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVJennie View Post
Looking to replace second RIB with something that can be easily stored. Considering an inflatable kayak, but wonder if some brands are dryer than others. Would like to be able to casually visit other boats or go ashore (not thru a surf) without getting too wet.
SVHennie,

We are avid sea kayakers and do some touring via kayak, so my response is veered in that direction...

When you say inflatable, do you also mean collapsable? [i.e., easy to store and not necessarily inflatable?...]

If you want a collapsable kayak that performs like a hard shell, then Feathercraft is worth looking into. Their make both internal frame and [recently] inflatable kayaks.

Since they are sea kayaks, there is a spray skirt that seals water out (and you in...) hence keeping the inside of the kayak dry.

Our personal experience is with the K-1 Expedition model- and really love ours. But when visiting the factory this spring, we saw their new inflatable first-hand [but didn't have time to paddle one...] We think they would be perfect on a cruising sailboat and will likely get a couple when our cruising kitty allows... [and since our US$ yields 20% more in CAN$- today- we probably won't wait long...]

One thing that I believe is unique to all Feathercraft kayaks is their 'sea sock' [a watertight cockpit liner you sit in. It prevents the rest of the kayak from being flooded, keeps the grit contained, and you can turn it inside out to bail the cockpit if needed...]

Also, keep in mind the currency conversion [if relevant] as Feathercraft is a Canadian company...

If you are looking for more of a kayak-like transport vehicle that is self-bailing and very difficult to capsize, I have owned Aire products in the past and can attest they are bullet (and idiot) proof.

There are many quality products [and some not so much...] available today [we saw hundreds at the Seattle Boat Show this January...] so I wish you the best of luck with your search.

Cheers!
Old 08-06-2015, 13:28   #14

Boat: Gozzard 36

Got 2 Advanced Elements kayaks--dry, seaworthy, well made, and tough --fairly easy and quick to assemble and disassemble ---I recommend them --
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 14:20   #15

-----
Kayak you sit in, you can wear a skirt cover around your waist that helps prevent water from coming into the inside. Can be 2 seater or a single. Easily "rolled" or uprighted with a paddle when you flip upside down.

Canoes are generally open, you can sit or kneel 1-3 people in it, more if really big. No cover generally. Less easily "rolled" if you strap yourself into it, takes practice, not so much strength. Can put floatation in it so it doesn't sink if flipped over. Generally a single bladed paddle but can use double bladed.

C-boat - looks a bit like a kayak (enclosed) but you kneel in it and generally use a single bladed paddle. Somewhat difficult to roll back upright ... again practice.

Lots of variations. Sea kayaks have a rudder that is controlled with your feet that helps w/ directional control. 1-2 persons. Easily rolled back up. With 2 people you need to coordinate the roll, generally by tapping on the bottom about 3 times and then a coordinated roll 'on the same side of the boat.'

Lots of fun, been in the Grand Canyon in a kayak and the open ocean.
Formosa46AK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable, Kayak