Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2019, 09:37   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: It’s way harder than those YouTube videos make it look!

Them turns they are tacks and gybes.

Yes, it is harder when you are big or the boat small. But over time you build ability and this 'size' mismatch stops being such a big thing.

You will notice big gains in how the boat sails if you sit in the right place. Basically this means not to fat from the center. There is a number of tricks too which is a part of mastering dinghy sailing. If you think of olympic champios in Finns, Lasers, etc. it is mostly due to where they sit on the boat and where they keep the boom ..... ;-) I mean it.

For practicing, try to schedule two shorter sessions a day - especially if the wind tends to build breezes in your area. In my experience it is best to learn the basics in average and easy conditions (about 10kts of wind) and as soon as you feel full ainslie, go sailing in very light and windy moments - because the light and heavy wind skills define a sailor.

Enjoy the summer. Report again on progress!

What is the thing you mentioned, youtube?

Cheers,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:02   #17

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Hahaha, you're doing fine. May not seem like it but you are. If you see/know any other dinghy valors see if they will go out with you one day. Hobies are popular there may be a club somewhere.

Always try to know where the wind is. When it's coming from behind, even a little bit, you need to be careful where the sail position is. When the wind is on one side of the sail and you turn so it's now on the other side of the sail that is called a gybe vs when it happens with the wind in front it is called a tack. Gybing can happen way faster than tacking because the wind will have a much more powerful effect on the sail. It happens fast, really fast. I was racing the Swedish Laser champion in Martinique, focussing more on keeping up with him then the wind when I gybed. He saw it coming and came back to me as fast as he could. I woke up 6' underwater. Just sayin...
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:05   #18

Boat: 1984 Hobie Holder 12'

Thanks, Chuck. Those boats look like they’d be much more comfortable. Not sure I’m ready for the extra sails yet, but I’ll keep those in mind for next summer.

As uncomfortable as it is, I’m gonna stick with my $150 starter boat and beat it up before upgrading. My wife will kill me if I spend $2-$4k on a new hobby - I’ll take my chances with the boom. She’s on board to do a week long live aboard course in CA next summer. I’ll have a better chance of upgrading (and not ruining my marriage) after she gets a taste for it.
Salt to Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:17   #19

Boat: Amel 50

It’s great you’re out there learning by doing. A lot of good tips. I’d add:

- Make small adjustments to main sheet and rudder. Newton’s third law will bite you. For example if you have a wind gust causing you to heel too much and let the main sheet out too fast, the boat will rock back the other way and could capsize toward the wind.

- How to adjust the sheet while holding the tiller is tough. If you don’t have one, I’d suggest rigging up a cam cleat block (Google if not familiar). To sheet in with one hand, pull, cleat, move your hand toward the cleat, pull some more, etc. To sheet out, start with your hand away from the cleat, let some out, cleat, move your hand away from the cleat again, etc. The alternative (not approved by the ADA): use your teeth :-)

-
Old 10-08-2019, 11:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
It’s great you’re out there learning by doing. A lot of good tips. I’d add:

- Make small adjustments to main sheet and rudder. Newton’s third law will bite you. For example if you have a wind gust causing you to heel too much and let the main sheet out too fast, the boat will rock back the other way and could capsize toward the wind.

- How to adjust the sheet while holding the tiller is tough. If you don’t have one, I’d suggest rigging up a cam cleat block (Google if not familiar). To sheet in with one hand, pull, cleat, move your hand toward the cleat, pull some more, etc. To sheet out, start with your hand away from the cleat, let some out, cleat, move your hand away from the cleat again, etc. The alternative (not approved by the ADA): use your teeth :-)

-
I need to see if I can add a cleat, that would make it much easier. I tried my teeth a few times, lol. Only concern with a cleat, at least while I’m learning, is that if I get overwhelmed I can’t just let go, I may be more likely to tip until I figure things out a little more.

I went out with our local yacht club on a 25’ O’Day and the captain made it look so easy. I’m sure it’s moatly his experience, but are bigger boats easier to handle (less tippy)?
Old 10-08-2019, 13:17   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Do you have a tiller extension? With a tiller extension you can hand the tail of the sheet off to your other hand while steering and not really move the helm.

You should be holding the tiller extension like a microphone instead of a frying pan.

Watch these videos and watch their hand placement.

https://www.google.com/search?q=roll...&client=safari
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 14:08   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

A good trick to learn when learning to GYBE - (yes, from youtube!) :

E.g.

NOTICE the boat never slows down.

The boat never slows down ...

Does not slow down ...

Gybe at speed - makes the whole thing so much easier!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 14:18   #23

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

If you can trailer the boat to San Diego I can help you. I taught dinghy sail off and on for almost 20yr. Keelboats too after several years.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 14:28   #24

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37

Lots of good information here, but let me add one thing: you need a wind indicator. It will help you recognize your point of sail and will be a bridge between what you read (theory) and what you practice. I've sailed for most of my life and I still use a wind indicator and telltales all the time. You should be able to get one for a Laser that attaches to the mast near the boom. Once you've worked out the basics (pointing upwind, reaching, running, tacking, gybing) it becomes muscle memory with practice, and then you can start to fine tune your technique.

Learn to sail on the boat you've got and you'll easily translate the skills to bigger boats. The other way, from big to small, is not nearly as easy. You're on the right track.
tilostahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 14:37   #25

A little off topic but usually the larger and heaver the boat the easier it is to sail as it is much less sensitive and everything happens much slower. I have sailed typical 30 footers for hours in steady winds and calm seas by just by moving to port/starboard or fore/aft in the cockpit. I much prefer this to running the wind vain or autopilot as one is "more one with the boat". Once you get a little experience I suggest the following simplified procedure outline.

With you in the center of your typical cockpit position, typical steady wind and calm seas, sails adjusted for reasonably close hauled and the tiller centered adjust the fore/aft mast head for neutral helm. Most beginners are told to adjust for weather helm but you will soon discover it is not easy on your arms, back or enjoyment. This is also a severe handicap when racing. A bendy mast to dynamically adjust is nice but usually only on racing boats. As the wind direction slowly changes make just sail adjustments (halard, sheet, downhall and cars.

You will soon get the feel as you slowly move around the cockpit changing the waterline asymmetrically.
lvictorlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 14:45   #26

Boat: Bavaria 51

Remember that most first class sailors learn to sail on yachts like lasers, known to be difficult to sail, but once mastered produce superior skills. Not only for sail handling but also reading wind direction, wind shifts, gusts, lifts, sea state... all the essential skills which will make handling a larger yacht simples. Keep at it, good luck, it is the best training school.
Rivatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 15:10   #27

Boat: Bristol 27

All this advice is great but all you really need is time on the water.

A wind indicator while learning is also a good thing (I used an old cassette tape tied to a shroud)

Later though you will learn to feel the wind on your skin or in your face

If you can find a group that races similar boats, you will learn tons. (even sailing in reverse if you are early to the starting line and being pushed over)
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 16:05   #28

If it was easy, everyone could do it.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 16:55   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
If it was easy, everyone could do it.
Well, to be fair, I bought a boat for $150 off the local classifieds and was “sailing” two days later. It’s not really that hard.

I’m looking at it like learning to drive a stick as someone mentioned, or learning a new sport. Just gotta keep getting on the water and it’ll start slowing down for me. Planning to take it to the local marina next week and get some help from the local yacht club.
Old 10-08-2019, 18:58   #30

Boat: Catalina 30

I learned to sail on my dear saintly mother's Lido 14. I've also spent some time on the Sunfish and at the time I was about your size. IMHO you will be much happer in a larger dinghy where you can actually sit down inside it.

Have fun!!! Things happen fast in a dinghy and lessons are learned even faster!
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote