Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2020, 05:42   #1

Boat: Spindrift 22
Jib reefing puzzler

I got myself in a tricky situation yesterday and would welcome suggestions for how I could have handled it better.

I took my 22-foot sloop out single handed on Lake Erie for a late afternoon sail. Wind forecast was steady 10-12 knots, so I hanked on a larger jib / genoa, which is my go-to sail in those conditions. (I don't have roller furling.)

After the first couple of hours, the wind speed increased dramatically, and it was clear I was over-canvassed. I hove to and reefed the main, which helped, but the jib was too much--either heeling me way over in significant waves or flapping madly when I pointed up to get her back on her feet.

After ten minutes of this, I used the downhaul to lower the jib, which solved the heeling problem, but left me underpowered, so I wound up limping back to port at 2-3 knots under reefed main alone.

Ideally, in that situation, I should have found a way to reduce jib sail area without dousing the jib altogether. I've got smaller jibs onboard, but couldn't see how I'd be able to swap them out safely underway, given that I was single handing in large waves and typically rely on a backwinded jib to heave to.

I was in 25 feet of water, so I could have anchored in order to swap out the sails.

I'm wondering, though, whether there might have been a way either to safely heave to under main alone (a technique I've not managed to get to work consistently on this boat) in order to swap sails, or else to improvise a makeshift reef in the jib by lowering it a couple of feet (while backwinded in heave to position) and pulling one of the hanks under what looks like a reefing hook I've got on the bow.

Longer term, I'm wondering whether I should find a sail maker to add a few grommets fifteen inches up from the foot of my genoa so that I can "reef" it in such situations more easily and effectively rather than having to either douse it or swap out sails.

Any thoughts welcome.
dalepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 07:51   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Jib reefing puzzler

Why not just sail a slow close reaching course with the reefed main while you hank on a new jib? The old jib can stay on deck lashed to the lifelines

An autopilot steering while this is going on is mandatory.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 08:31   #3

Boat: Spindrift 22
Re: Jib reefing puzzler

An auto-pilot and/or furling jib would be nice to have in this kind of situation, but my boat, alas, has neither, which makes it a bit more challenging to manage.
dalepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 15:27   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalepo View Post
Longer term, I'm wondering whether I should find a sail maker to add a few grommets fifteen inches up from the foot of my genoa so that I can "reef" it in such situations more easily and effectively rather than having to either douse it or swap out sails.

Any thoughts welcome.
We used a Solent jib that reefed this way for a transatlantic voyage. It worked very well. It was easy to reef, kept a good airfoil shape while lowering the center of effort, and didn't cost much. Having an extra set of sheets lets you tie them on while the sail is still pulling, before the sail is reefed, making it easy to do. Then you lower the halyard and hook in the new tack. Tighten the halyard and sheet in and you're done. The bunt of loose sailcloth can be secured with a sail tie if it bothers you. Talk to your sailmaker. 15" sounds like it might be a touch too little; 20" to 24" might be better.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 04:25   #5

Prior to furling headsails, reefing jibs were quite common. They had cringles and reefing points.
This might be of interest
https://www.riggingdoctor.com/life-a...adsail-reefing
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 04:44   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Swap sails early or go out with less sail than you’d prefer. Or add a curler, which will cost money but make your sailing safer and more enjoyable
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib