Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 07:17   #1

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Jordan Series Drogue Usage

In all that i've read, the Jordan Series Drogue is always deployed from the stern. Why is it never deployed from the bow or from a Pardey bridle?
anybody know?
thanks
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 14:05   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Jordan Series Drogue Usage

jon,
The purpose of a drogue is to slow down a vessel when running downwind. The purpose of a sea anchor is to prevent a vessel from drifting too fast, coming beam to the waves and risking being capsized when hove to.

So, for a given speed, a drogue provides much less drag than a sea anchor. A Jordan Series drogue would be ineffective if deployed from the bow as a sea anchor.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 14:32   #3

discussion of almost the same question http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-to-76744.html
delmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 14:45   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Some Excellent reading is to be found here:
Victor Shane's Drag Device Data Base | Using Parachutes, Sea Anchors and Drogues to Cope with Heavy Weather – Over 130 Documented Case Histories
And here:
drogue device data - Bing

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 15:30   #5

Boat: Nicholson 38

A drogue is designed to slow the boat, not stop it, which means that it continues to have forward progress - the stable direction if deployed from the stern.

If deployed from the bow, your boat would be moving backwards - which is unstable. Just think how badly behaved most boats are in reverse! And what do you do with your rudder?

Especially when a large wave hits the boat, the drogue will allow the boat to move through the water at a speed of a few knots, possibly several knots. In that case if the drogue is deployed from the bow, your boat is going to wander badly, possibly turning sideways to the waves. Also, your rudder will get hammered unless it is strongly locked in place.
Old 11-03-2017, 18:05   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We knew some people who did, one time, try to use their JSD for a sea anchor. It worked okay to stop their boat, a heavy displacement, full keel monohull. They tied off the tiller, to keep the rudder straight. It drifted 25 miles south in the East Australia Current, though. They had to beat back to their entry port of Brisbane, having not reckoned on the strength of the current.

Ann
Old 11-03-2017, 18:23   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
A drogue is designed to slow the boat, not stop it, which means that it continues to have forward progress - the stable direction if deployed from the stern.

If deployed from the bow, your boat would be moving backwards - which is unstable. Just think how badly behaved most boats are in reverse! And what do you do with your rudder?

Especially when a large wave hits the boat, the drogue will allow the boat to move through the water at a speed of a few knots, possibly several knots. In that case if the drogue is deployed from the bow, your boat is going to wander badly, possibly turning sideways to the waves. Also, your rudder will get hammered unless it is strongly locked in place.
Now, I have yet to be thrown backwards down a wave going stern first, but I'd be willing to bet that tying off or locking the tiller or wheel is not a fool-proof and guaranteed way to prevent rudder damage. When and if I find myself in conditions like that, where things are so bad that I can't keep running with a drogue slowing me down, I'd want the biggest para-anchor made! (And I'd probably be willing to pay handsomely for someone else to deploy it for me!)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 19:13   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Now, I have yet to be thrown backwards down a wave going stern first, but I'd be willing to bet that tying off or locking the tiller or wheel is not a fool-proof and guaranteed way to prevent rudder damage. When and if I find myself in conditions like that, where things are so bad that I can't keep running with a drogue slowing me down, I'd want the biggest para-anchor made! (And I'd probably be willing to pay handsomely for someone else to deploy it for me!)
I would rather not be in that situation ever again to need to deploy a sea anchor like that.

Tags
drogue