Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2007, 20:48   #1

keel question

hi, im not that well educated in sailing, but if i have a chance to be under a sail, im there. now from what i understand, sailboats have keels to keep them from rolling over, and some sailboats have ballasts to help the keel. but still, is it possible to roll over with the wind speed going from 5 to 10 knots an hour and 23' sloop?

Im questioning this, because my father and i rented a 23' hunter in NJ today from Nelson Sailing center (great place for starters, excellent teachers) and while catching speed, we were comming very close to the water, infact, im sure that if we wouldnt turn away, we would eventually roll over, but is this so?
Pavel989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 21:39   #2

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel989
...is it possible to roll over with the wind speed going from 5 to 10 knots an hour and 23' sloop?

Im questioning this, because my father and i rented a 23' hunter in NJ today from Nelson Sailing center..and while catching speed, we were comming very close to the water, infact, im sure that if we wouldnt turn away, we would eventually roll over, but is this so?
Yo Pav,

assuming this is the boat with the 800-pound wing keel, with all standard sail, and in only 5-10 knots of wind, it would not roll over.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 22:41   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Talking Just to give you a little more comfort on typical sailboats

Once a sail boat heels over so far, in a fair sea and assuming you ARE sailing, when the keel and rudder start coming out of the water most good sailboats will head up into the wind and you'll lose the wind in your sails.

The object is to keep the boat moving as fast as the wind will take you and keep the boat under 25 degrees of heel. Anything more then the 25, it just becomes windage (blown down wind or losing ground).

The mainsail is your accelerator, use that to adjust your heel. And if that's still too much then let out on the jib/genoa. And if that's too much take down the jib/genoa.

That should give you a more pleasurable sailing day.

Enjoy.........................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 23:23   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
It is hard to judge how far the boat is heeling without an indicator. It often seems like more than it is. We have had J24s and Catalina 26s with water coming over the lee deck a lot. It is fun but as Delmarrey says the boat is not at it's most efficient at that time.

I did a twighlight cruise last Friday with some new-to-sailing folks. There were thunderstorms in the area and the winds were gusting to 25 kts. I reefed the main and furled the Genoa and it was like turning the wind down to 12 knots. We still made good speed but everyone was a lot more comfortable and I was able to relax and not worry about a knockdown.

Have fun and sail the boat within it's limits. Most small production boats are very forgiving.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 01:53   #5

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Not a chance of turning over. Sounds like you was having fun. Inorder for you to roll you would have to force the mast down very hard under the water. Not possible in those winds and conditions.

Just a learing exerpience. Get one of the sailing computer games and try to get a roll or knockdown. They are very real for the most part and a good, inexpensive learning tool.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel