Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2019, 15:06   #46
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: leave the mainsheet cam open

The simplest solution for most winched lines that may need quick, controlled release, is a cam cleat downstream of the winch. I do this even with my selftailers in gusty conditions. Perhaps you are going to call it a multihull thing, but in the case of the OP it would have worked well. Much safer than fooling with loaded jammers.

What you see, below, is the spin sheet, but the same cleat is used for the genoa. The cleat for the mainsheet is to the left. Both winches are self tailers.

I offer that this is also a good cases for learning to sail on dinghies. Reaction to a gust wouldn't even be a surprise, just normal sailing. Just sayin.' I've made a lot of mistakes, but I really learned to sail on a small boat.

As for boats that do not have enough winches for basic functions without jammers... add winches. My 24' boat has 4. My 34' cat had 6. Always something available.

Sail Delmarva: The Merits of Learning to Sail on a Small Boat
Old 26-08-2019, 15:41   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
You will discover the only way to open most clutches is to pull in on the main sheet, to get the load off the clutch and then open the clutch.
This is true for the older Spinlock clutches on our boat, but not true for the Lewmar clutches that I use on our runners. They are routinely released under full load... a major difference in performance.

Jim
Old 26-08-2019, 15:46   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick01541 View Post
If it hasn't already been said, once you turn on the motor and whether or not you have sails up, you are required to follow motor boat rules of the road.
Only once you are being propelled by the motor, do you become a "power driven vessel".

If you are under sail with the engine in neutral (either on standby or because you are charging your batteries) you are a sailing vessel.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 15:50   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsurfin View Post
Just remember, once you start that engine, you are a motor vessel, not a sail vessel.

Again, not unless you are being propelled by the engine.
Old 26-08-2019, 15:55   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
If you want to get properly scared out of that habit, next time it is blowing 15-20, bring the main all the way in- over the centerline. Now fall off to a beam reach to intentionally overload the sail (like getting caught in a squall you did not see coming), now try to open the clutch. You will discover the only way to open most clutches is to pull in on the main sheet, to get the load off the clutch and then open the clutch. That delay is enough for "bad things to happen".

No one is perfect, so the trick is to minimize the downside risk when not if, you mess up.

You need to differentiate between a clutch and a jammer.

To quote Spinlock:
"What is the difference between a clutch and a jammer? Clutches allow the line to be released by opening the handle and the handle can be opened under load. Spinlock recommend taking the load safely on a winch, even when using a clutch. With a jammer the load will always end to be taken safely on a winch before the jammer handles can be opened and rope released. "
Old 26-08-2019, 16:39   #51

Boat: Columbia 8.7

I don't have self tailing winches and the genoa sheets are normally secured on horn cleats. Sometimes wrapped on the winch, sometimes not. This thread makes me think I'm sailing a death trap, there is no obvious way to quickly blow a sheet.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 19:17   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You need to differentiate between a clutch and a jammer.

To quote Spinlock:
"What is the difference between a clutch and a jammer? Clutches allow the line to be released by opening the handle and the handle can be opened under load. Spinlock recommend taking the load safely on a winch, even when using a clutch. With a jammer the load will always end to be taken safely on a winch before the jammer handles can be opened and rope released. "
Stu

I know you have miles. Can’t tell you how many times I have had to fight to lift a clutch handle and almost always bang/side punch the handle down to get it to run free. FP cats are notorious for this.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 19:28   #53

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Are you sure your horn cleat isn't a jam cleat? Jam cleats are very common for sheets. You're actually in a better position to get the sheet out than someone with a self tailer. If you have jam cleats you take a couple of wraps without locking the hitch. Unwind the sheet from the jammer, then pull straight up over the winch and you're free to blow the sheet. A self tailer you have to unwrap the sheet from the winch as it gets caught on the tailer.

See post #45 for a picture of a jam cleat.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 19:38   #54

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Nope, the cleats 2' behind the winches are symmetrical and much too much space above the coaming to jam any non stopped line. You could bolt them on a dock and no one would notice.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 22:48   #55

Boat: Logan 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated View Post
I suspect that rounding up may have been slowing me down quickly enough that collision was never much of a risk, but I'm not sure.

I'd be curious how fast we were going just before I regained control. Does anyone know how to look at the speed at a particular point in my GPS tracks, using Navionics?
Yes - you can go into your saved tracks, click on it and it will play the track showing the speed.
Lindsaymcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 00:16   #56

Boat: Vancouver 36 (UK)

Tufnol is a composite usually made from phenolic resin reinforced with cotton woven fabric. One of the first composite materials before glass fibre was born.
thezephyrboy is offline   Reply With Quote