Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2017, 07:49   #136

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Leopard 46 lost in French Polynesia - stunning rescue pictures

I have measured the distance from 500m depth line to 50m depth line and on aged and inaccurate C-map it read 0.3 of a mile on the main entrance line. Approaching at 3 knots you get a 0.1hrs headups. I see plus 1000ft readouts on any of our local pleasure fishing boats here.

You can also pickup radar echoes from landmarks and nav marks.

I have heard about modern HD radars being able to see the barrier reef at ebb, and at flood - with enough swell then. Maybe a reader with a HD radar could confirm/deny this.

Choices, choices.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:18   #137

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Reading this it seems it is un "uncharted reef", but ONLY on Navionics charts!!!
What is the legal responsability of the chart supplier if this is the case?
All of the electronic charts I've seen point out that these are not to be used as an absolute source of infallible data. They basically say that one is to use caution as the charts are only a guide.

I don't think this person has a leg to stand on. Doing eight or nine knots at night is generally a bad plan when one is nearing land at night. The person made the all too common mistake of assuming that the charts (whether electronic or paper) are dead on balls accurate and it seems that they weren't looking at what was going on around them. Additionally they indicated that the seas were confused and large which may have further reduced their situational awareness and/or visibility.

There's much we don't know for example, what was visibility like? What version of the charts were they using? What range setting were they using?

I'm glad they are all right but alas, some caution may have prevented this.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 10:11   #138
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Two things:

Did they say in their blog where they actually were going? They hit the reef after they had already passed that southern entrance (which they should not use anyway). It looks to me more like they were going to Raiatea, which would also fit with their timing better; and they unfortunately just cut too close to the end of Huahine.

As to navionics - do be aware that how the echarts display is NOT dictated by navionics. The plotter manufacturer actually makes important decisions on how the charts show up. Below is how Navionics wants this chart to show (on their own app), and you can see the reef is in fact green (and not blue).

Click image for larger version

Name:	navionics.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	153104

Also, the French have done complete recent surveys of the society islands (and updated most of the nav lights), and they are damn accurate (not like in the 'old days'), and Navionics has in fact incorporated all this recent survey data. Since the resurvey, I have been in a couple of the Tuamotu passes at night, but only when I knew damn well what I was doing. I still would have given that reef at least 2nm clearance, and watched it on radar near the CPA.

Unfortunately the insurance company was correct. This was several rookie mistake all together. And they were not paying enough attention to squeak themselves out of it.

It is unfortunate they lost the boat, but fortunate no-one was injured - could have been much worse if the swell had been bad.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 10:19   #139

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

One wonders if the navigator/captain put too much faith in their GPS
I would have turned offshore once I saw lights on shore, knowing there was a large reef around the entire island
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 10:21   #140

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tanda.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	153105
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 12:53   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Wouldn't liability insurance have covered the cost of dragging the boat off the reef and sinking it?
My liability coverage would...

SECTION B LIABILITY COVERAGE - LOSSES COVERED
We cover liability which an Insured is legally required to pay because of:
1. Accidental bodily injury and illness. 2. Accidental property damage, including damage to another watercraft. 3. Wreck removal, meaning expenses that result from the raising or attempted raising, removal or disposal of the wreck of the Watercraft when such removal is compulsory by law; or from the failure to do any of the above. Wreck removal coverage is limited to expenses incurred and paid within one year from the date of the occurrence causing the claim. 4. Rescue of persons on the Watercraft.
The liability must arise out of the ownership, maintenance or use of the Watercraft. The bodily injury or property damage, which gives rise to the liability, must occur while this policy is in effect. On the DECLARATIONS PAGE, you will find the Limit of Coverage for Liability. This is the most we will pay for losses covered under this section that arises from one accident or a series of accidents caused by the same event.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 13:01   #142

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
One wonders if the navigator/captain put too much faith in their GPS

I would have turned offshore once I saw lights on shore, knowing there was a large reef around the entire island

No lights on shore around that part of the island as there are no resorts. There are no street lights at all and the villages don't show external lights. You might see a car's headlights but that's it. All you see on a dark night is a slightly darker patch. If you're lucky there's a moon or the Milky Way backlighting the island. Approaching Papeete you'll see lots of light on land (too much to see the navigation lights easily!), but otherwise, it's dark.

Radar tells the truth about your relative position, and the chart gives you an indication of what the dangers may be. Hence, caution and lots of sea room between you and land in poor visibility such as at night.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 14:44   #143

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Two things:

Did they say in their blog where they actually were going? They hit the reef after they had already passed that southern entrance (which they should not use anyway). It looks to me more like they were going to Raiatea, which would also fit with their timing better; and they unfortunately just cut too close to the end of Huahine.

The blog says
[QUOTE]. It was a strange sail from Mo’orea to Huahine because the ocean seemed annoyed and stormy. /QUOTE]
So I suspect they had planned to make an early evening entrance at Fare, a few miles up the island on the west coast from the grounding site. As earlier mentioned, most people do this passage as an overnight so they arrive in the daylight morning. This boat instead left Moorea at 6am.
Old 31-07-2017, 15:02   #144

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

I am for now one of the arm chair sailors. I am working my way towards the great dream some have had the opportunity/bravery to do already. I appreciate this forum and reading threads like this because there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained.

I am in no way bashing this family and empathize for them and their situation. I also fully agree that all of us should give our charitable dollars in anyway one sees fit and place no judgement on the decision. But I can't help asking the question why should I fund their dream of getting another boat. I wouldn't ask anyone to buy my boat/pay for my mistakes (although I could definitely move my timeline up if they would). On the same note I don't send money to those who have the cruising blogs/videos.

I probably will get blasted for this and leave unknown people with a skewed opinion of me, but... I truly am excited for all who are living their dream and wish/hope we all get the chance to live ours. I also in no way wish anything but love and compassion for us all. I just don't understand the thought process of the gofundmes for things that are luxuries/choices. Just my 2 cents. Please be gentle...

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 15:21   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
But I can't help asking the question why should I fund their dream of getting another boat.
Foster
As a sailor I can use all the good karma I can buy.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 16:47   #146

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
I am for now one of the arm chair sailors. I am working my way towards the great dream some have had the opportunity/bravery to do already. I appreciate this forum and reading threads like this because there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained.

I am in no way bashing this family and empathize for them and their situation. I also fully agree that all of us should give our charitable dollars in anyway one sees fit and place no judgement on the decision. But I can't help asking the question why should I fund their dream of getting another boat. I wouldn't ask anyone to buy my boat/pay for my mistakes (although I could definitely move my timeline up if they would). On the same note I don't send money to those who have the cruising blogs/videos.

I probably will get blasted for this and leave unknown people with a skewed opinion of me, but... I truly am excited for all who are living their dream and wish/hope we all get the chance to live ours. I also in no way wish anything but love and compassion for us all. I just don't understand the thought process of the gofundmes for things that are luxuries/choices. Just my 2 cents. Please be gentle...

Foster

You you ever consider helping a family whose house burned down?
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 16:59   #147
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
You you ever consider helping a family whose house burned down?

If it was a 600-700k house and they opted to not have insurance? Hmmmmm.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 18:07   #148

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

It is an interesting question about 'fund me'. My understanding wasn't to buy the hem a new boat. But to assist them in getting home, clothing, food, and things for immediate living.

As I understood reading their blog... they didn't opt out of their insurance policy ... the insurance company cancelled their policy due to lack of experience in their part. So it is not like they did something so cavalier as that. Read their blog. They are good people who made some mistakes. I don't believe for a second they are asking for close to a million dollars all in.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 18:25   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
It is an interesting question about 'fund me'. My understanding wasn't to buy the hem a new boat. But to assist them in getting home, clothing, food, and things for immediate living.

As I understood reading their blog... they didn't opt out of their insurance policy ... the insurance company cancelled their policy due to lack of experience in their part. So it is not like they did something so cavalier as that. Read their blog. They are good people who made some mistakes. I don't believe for a second they are asking for close to a million dollars all in.
I know where my insurance covers me and where it does not. It is clear in the policy. The blog says the insurance company dropped them because they were crossing the Pacific. Other companies would have covered them just as the cover me. Just need to do the leg work to find the companies.

I wonder if any claims were made on their policy prior to being dropped.
gbgreen59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 18:42   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Leopard 46 lost in French Polynesia - stunning rescue pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
Couldn't you attribute that to the ever shifting sand bar?

Which is what it was actually, but does go to the stupidly believing in the miracle of modern electronics, I mean heck it was even on a Satellite image.
Little 21 ' CC boat moving maybe just on plane, so no damage or anything.
The discussion with Seatow was interesting, lady on the phone kept insisting that they would not come if I was hard aground. So I would say we are aground, define Hard please, and she I don't think knew what it meant either. So when the local showed up, I told her never mind a good Samaritan is going to pull me off with their pontoon boat.

I knew worst case was we wait a couple of hours and float off
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, French Polynesia, leopard, leopard 46, lost, rescue