Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 18:49   #16

Re: Logs?!?

Blogs are nice, and many have been fun to read.

Just kidding, but: Years ago it was hard for most people to learn how to type. Now it's harder to get people to write longhand!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 19:17   #17

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Blogs are nice, and many have been fun to read.

Just kidding, but: Years ago it was hard for most people to learn how to type. Now it's harder to get people to write longhand!
Most of the posts On our blog are written in longhand first -- it helps me sort out my thoughts.

Robyn

P.S. I can write in cursives too! I have heard it is a dying art!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 02:22   #18

Boat: kuiper 32

I used to write in the log book at the end of each watch when I was a kid now im older have gotten lazy and dont bother.It feels like homework I do take a lot of photos though and print them off and put them on a pin board each time I walk past I have a look and a grin It makes work more bearable.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 00:42   #19

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

We keep a log with entries every hour. That way we always have the information about position, heading, etc. And guarantees that at least once an hour you are looking at these things.
Since there are only 2 of us it allows the one on watch to add anything that may be a concern (ships, radar targets and new noises from somewhere onboard.)
But really, it's almost something to look forward to...another hour gone of my watch...soon I can sleep.
Here's what we use: Home Page

Jim
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 04:38   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Logs?

I prefer to use bound ledgers or journals that are found in office supply stores.
We are now recording our course, weather, crew aboard and events in our 8th "deck log" which includes notes from our guests and some sketches of some locations. This is more of a enjoyable rememberance book. We also keep and "engine log" which has grown to include sections listing part numbers and running rigging specs. We list all of our maintenance tasks and schedules here as well as noting fuel, oil, trans fluid, coolant, hydraulic presure, stuffing box & bilge checks.

Old 31-08-2013, 05:01   #21

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi! Google "USCG six-pack Captain License"...look at the requirement...you'll find a sample copy of a "log sheet" to be filled out by the would be captain. Print as many copies as you want and place them in a three-ring binder; that will be your official USCG log. While at the web site, you may want to consider fulfilling some of their requirement; First Aid, Passport, TWIC card, safety classes and such. Sail away and have a ball!

As a SCUBA diver, I used to log all my dives...until I exceeded 2000 dives in over 40 countries, then gave up on the practice. I don't need to prove to anyone that I can dive!

Mauritz
Knows all and sees all...your weight and fortune...
Old 31-08-2013, 05:34   #22

Boat: Skookum 53'

Certainly do keep a log, you do not need to recreate the last nine months. I use a bound record book, in the front I make my log entries, and I turn the book over and put the maintenance entries in the back working forward. Remember the ship's log carries weight, in court it is a legal document. When working on the commercial side, I tend to keep things very matter of fact. Once I start cruising full time, I will probably lighten up and enter in lesser matters. On my first long cruise we kept all sorts of events in the log book, not necessarily just about the navigation or condition of the vessel. Weather observations are important. Any kind of an incident needs to be accurate to the minute if you need to defend yourself that precision will help in a court. Also regular log entries, every 4 hours is what I hear the USCG uses on their vessels for positions.
Old 01-09-2013, 13:04   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_thomsen View Post
We keep a log with entries every hour. That way we always have the information about position, heading, etc. And guarantees that at least once an hour you are looking at these things.
Since there are only 2 of us it allows the one on watch to add anything that may be a concern (ships, radar targets and new noises from somewhere onboard.)
But really, it's almost something to look forward to...another hour gone of my watch...soon I can sleep.
Here's what we use: Home Page

Jim
Thanks for you input and the link to your blog, very nice!

Robym
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 01-09-2013, 13:32   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hi! Google "USCG six-pack Captain License"...look at the requirement...you'll find a sample copy of a "log sheet" to be filled out by the would be captain. Print as many copies as you want and place them in a three-ring binder; that will be your official USCG log. While at the web site, you may want to consider fulfilling some of their requirement; First Aid, Passport, TWIC card, safety classes and such. Sail away and have a ball!

As a SCUBA diver, I used to log all my dives...until I exceeded 2000 dives in over 40 countries, then gave up on the practice. I don't need to prove to anyone that I can dive!

Mauritz
Knows all and sees all...your weight and fortune...
Thanks for the link I will check it out.

As for the other stuff, we have fulfilled a lot of their requirements.

In addition, I have a 3-ring binder that I have organized into five parts. 1. Personal: passports, vaccination records, US CBP LBO cards, copies of prescriptions, drivers licenses, birth/marriage certificates, etc. 2. Boat Documentation: registration, insurance, latest survey, etc. 3. Cats: vaccine records, Titer report, latest health certificate (we also have their complete health records with us). 4. Certifications and Licenses: sailing, safety, health, recreational, and professional. 5. Stuff From Our Wallets: credit cards, frequent flier cards, insurance cards, and business cards for important contacts. All of this in plastic sleeves. Before arriving in a new country, I review their check-in requirements and take what I need and put it in a smaller binder to take with me. If I have an empty sleeve as I am finishing up I know I haven't gotten some of my documentation back.

Thanks again,
Robyn
Old 01-09-2013, 13:39   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Certainly do keep a log, you do not need to recreate the last nine months. I use a bound record book, in the front I make my log entries, and I turn the book over and put the maintenance entries in the back working forward. Remember the ship's log carries weight, in court it is a legal document. When working on the commercial side, I tend to keep things very matter of fact. Once I start cruising full time, I will probably lighten up and enter in lesser matters. On my first long cruise we kept all sorts of events in the log book, not necessarily just about the navigation or condition of the vessel. Weather observations are important. Any kind of an incident needs to be accurate to the minute if you need to defend yourself that precision will help in a court. Also regular log entries, every 4 hours is what I hear the USCG uses on their vessels for positions.
From my professional days, I know that a log must be bound to hold up in court. So before we left I bought three bound notebooks from REI that were made for use outdoors with the intention of using those to keep our log. Somehow we have managed to over look this detail of cruising. Honestly, logs were such an important part of our professional lives (and we kept very detailed ones) I think that is why we seem to keep 'forgetting' -- it reminds us of work . We obviously need to readjust how we think about this and turn it into something fun, not a chore!

Thanks,
Robyn
Old 01-09-2013, 13:44   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i keep a reasonable record of my passages and i record repairs.

i avoid the wood kind floating in water.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 14:01   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

i avoid the wood kind floating in water.

Speaking of logs in the water, I took this photo on the Amazon a couple years ago (not my boat). We were constantly dodging drifting logs. Speaking of drift,- 'back to the books!

I record events in my more casual log and I do not scedule entries such as every four hours. My engine (maintenance) log is highly structured, but my deck log is more of a personal journal and an enjoyment.
Old 01-09-2013, 14:52   #28

Thats what I am going to have to wind down to, now I am keeping a log for wages, I record everything, for a liability coverage (CYA). I want to have something more readable, for my cruising life.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:28   #29

Boat: contessa 32

Bob and Connie along with the posts of RaymondR pretty much got it all. However it is a legal document and can be used for and AGAINST you!
The log can be a very creative item if some aboard can draw,write verse or make wry allusions to their fellow shipmates idiosyncrances. It can be a way of making light of the tensions that arise during a cruise and a way of apologizing for ones own behavior or light comments from yesterdays dustup.
If boarded by the Coast Guard I ask the senior officer to sign my log along with rank and believe this professional approach helps a more respectful treatment ( N.B. this approach may not work with pirates).

I always ask departing crew to leave forwarding contact info and a commentary on their experiences, things like:" I'm the reason the rum is gone", or " the captain is getting cranky so I hope his next landfall has some understanding women'.

...............................love you all ....................mike.......................... .............

mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:16   #30

I always keep in mind, how my log might be read in a court in front of a jury.

Tags
logs