Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2008, 15:09   #1

Loose footed main on a J 105

We're sailing a J 105 that has a main sail with a flap at the foot that hangs below the boom. Sometimes, this extra piece of sail flaps even though the main appears to be trimmed properly. I've tried easing and tightening the main and tightening the boom vang. I haven't played with the outhaul or the traveler. Does anyone know what adjustments might reduce this flapping when it occurs. It mostly occurs when close-hauled.
mellenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 15:59   #2

Boat: Ranger 32 "Done Deal"
If you adjust your outhaul it will tension the foot for you. The idea being you can shape the sail, tighter in stiffer breezes and more full in light wind. The loose footed UK Main I use doesnt flap much when foot tension is set to match the wind. I had to install a good outhaul car, pad eye, cheek block and cam cleat to make it work right and be easy to adjust. I like the sail much better than the bolt rope main I had before. Hope this helps.
sugar and spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 17:39   #3
jzk

Our loose footed main has a small cord that runs through the foot similar to the leach line that our genoa has. This snugs up that flap and prevents the flutter that you describe.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 15:42   #4

Boat: Outbound 44
I believe that the extra cloth you have that hangs lower than the boom does not get counted in sail area for the main. So from a racing rules point of view it is free. Fussing with the outhaul will help, but yoi don't want to mess up the rest of the sail shape to get this flap looking pretty.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 17:50   #5
jzk

The outhaul is a seperate adjustment than this cord to prevent the flapping. You don't want to have to use the outhaul to control this.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 15:00   #6

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
As a general rule, the lighter the breeze the more you should ease the outhaul, and as the breeze gets stronger, the more you should lighten outhaul. Outhaul is one of the easiest ways of changing the shape of the bottom third of the sail to suit the breeze. Flatter sail = more pointing, less power, rounder sail = less pointing ability, more power.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote