Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2011, 08:00   #136

Re: Lost at Sea from S/V 'Triple Stars'

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I would be perfectly happy with the "send me the bill" approach to SAR. Same way as if I cr#p in my own pants I get the cleaning bill.

Indeed, I would be happy with no SAR being available

- over here we have a fixed wing spotter plane (run by a Charity - probably with some Govt Funding), can call in help from the French (Helicopter), and the RNLI (a charity)........in regard to the latter organisation, next year I may well be filing a DNR (Do Not Rescue!) Notice with them anyway (first I have to create a DNR Notice )........so I would be pretty much on my own (finding crew may be a challenge! - but that optional anyway)..........the issue I have with them is that I don't support any organisations that has Woo as a part of there operations - but that will largely depend on how much free time I have on my hands next year .
Well spoken. And from the lips of a self professed internet, armchair sailor. Good luck to you, while searching your wallet for your credit card number as seas overtake you, your crew (who did not fill out your fantasy "DNR" form) and your boat while waiting for the CG who have put you on "hold".

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 14:32   #137

Boat: Cal 39, Karma

Do you all want to stay with 'Triple star' or start a "licensing" thread?

Moderators note: A number of posts have been moved to a new thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-73933.html
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 16:04   #138
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
Well spoken. And from the lips of a self professed internet, armchair sailor. Good luck to you, while searching your wallet for your credit card number as seas overtake you, your crew (who did not fill out your fantasy "DNR" form) and your boat while waiting for the CG who have put you on "hold".
"We took risks, we knew we took them; things have come out against us, and therefore we have no cause for complaint, but bow to the will of providence, determined still to do our best to the last".

- Diary entry of Captain Scott (of the Antarctic)

I guess he should've gone to Disneyland instead...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 22:48   #139

Boat: amel super maramu 53 Kimberlite

30 foot waves north of Bermuda yup that happens often.
If you google "Pt Pleasant Freefall " you will read an article about the skipper on that boat dying and the men having to jump oberboard in huge seas. The coast guard reported 50 foot seas. You can see a video of the recsue and a helicopter almost running into a wave at the end. I believe that was 2008.

We were further offshore at the same time and Herb told us to prepare for survival conditions. We faced hurricane force winds and even bigger seas for 36 hours.

2 years before I sailed from St Martin to Long Island Solo nonstop for 12 days. I was in 40-50 knots for 3 days and ran into a wave that I rode up the side of and there was more wave ahead. My boat is 53 feet. you do the math.

I am not surprised in the least that they ran into a 30 foot wave this fall.
I had spoken to them on the VHF a few days before and they seemed to be in stress as they had ther Main Jammed and could not use it.
We had to sail to 60 degrees east to get around the worst part of Sean before heading south.
we saw steady 35-gusting to 45 and the waves were frequently 15-20 feet possibly bigger. We were in St Martin at least 5 days ahead of the NARC rally thanks to Herb Hilgenbergs Expert weather recommendations.
Fair Winds
Eric
S/V Kimberlite
Old 02-01-2012, 02:34   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlite View Post
30 foot waves north of Bermuda yup that happens often.
If you google "Pt Pleasant Freefall " you will read an article about the skipper on that boat dying and the men having to jump oberboard in huge seas. The coast guard reported 50 foot seas. You can see a video of the recsue and a helicopter almost running into a wave at the end. I believe that was 2008.
Here is the direct link to the Freefall rescue:
Life Floating By: Coast Guard Rescues 2 Mt. Pleasant Sailors.
Old 16-02-2012, 12:35   #141

I just came across this on sailopo.com when I was reading about the NARC rally and I have to ask whaaaat?

"...and a 2nd abandoned after the wife tragically went overboard and the husband decided to get off the boat. I am respecting the husband’s apparent wishes to not get into the circumstances. Only he knows what happened. All we know is that by day ten they were ok and that the tropical Storm Sean had already passed and we had word that they were fine and making their way to Bermuda. The next day we learned that someone had gone overboard and a ship had diverted to help the search along with a US Coast Guard helicopter. It was not until the next day, while we were preparing to depart Bermuda, that we learned that the wife had gone overboard and the husband was on a ship on her way to France."
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 03:28   #142
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Without taking the time to go back and research it, my recollection is that Triple Stars was hove to north of Bermuda on advice from Herb Hilgenberg while TS Sean was stalled, just prior to beginning to move NNE from it's position roughly SW of Bermuda. That would have put them in the strong quadrant of the storm. I don't think Hank has his facts quite straight.
Old 17-09-2013, 13:48   #143

Boat: Freedom 45

we're in GREEN Cove springs(GCS) and triple is on it's way here for repairs.
seaman-lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 03:51   #144
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

It would be great if you could post some photos,lew.

Tags
lost, safety