Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2023, 18:29   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Lost at sea: It ain't over till it's over as they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We'll never know what Tim's internal experience of this event was.

As with most things, I really expect there were many causes for his behavior; and in a way, it seems unkind to fantasize about it and project our fantasies onto someone who has just gone through a very long time alone at sea, with a dog he gave up for adoption as soon as he got back to Mexico.

He has looked after the dog: it would have had to have almost a year's quarantine if he wanted to import it into Australia, away from him. He is now going to have to get himself back together, the gods willing. It would be nice if we could know what really happened, but for me, I simply wish him good healing. He's a fellow sailor who was out of meaningful eye to eye contact with another human, alone on the nighttime darkness of the sea. He did not want to ask for help....we don't know why.

Ann
Having spent long periods of time alone in the ocean I am curious about what was going on in his head..
I have experienced the spell the ocean can cast on you where you never want it to end..
The Mottesier Complex I suppose you could call it.. that dread of returning to the chaos of civilization.
Then there's the other side of the coin.. The Crowhurst Complex..
One thing it was not is The Get Across Fast Complex many here appear to have..
Be nice to have a beer or three with him and get in his head.
As for the folk who may think I'm being nasty.. everything can be spun two ways.. just depends what your looking for.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 23:31   #17

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Lost at sea: It ain't over till it's over as they say

I am with Boatman on this, it would be interesting to see what was going on in his head. I don't think it's really that unusual. The drifting around is for sure. But I can think of at least three live aboards that seem to never leave their boats that are on moorings.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost