Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 06:50   #76

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50
Re: Marina outlaws rowing of dinghy's...

Crown Bay is very tight. Boats leaving the dock need the marina office to provide an "all clear" to permit monohulls and cats to make the very right turns to exit without getting caught in a cross wind. This past December we had to wait at least 30 minutes for clearance.
I would readily return to Crown Bay. The marina is full service, clean and have excellent docks. There is a restaurant and close walking distance to a nice supermarket.
Jspla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:36   #77

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivn2ironman View Post
Two comments -
1. One must be familiar with any local/state/federal laws and international mariners laws where ever you will be traveling to. Not knowing is not an excuse. i.e In U.S. territories, paddle boards are classified as vessels, and are required a life vest to be on-board the vessel. Any children under a certain age should also be wearing their life vest.

2. in regards to motors on dinghies, very high traffic waterways may require motors due to safety. Some other locations, the new USCG law states that a dinghy with any size of motors (gas and/or electric) are required to be registered. The old rule about a min. horse power to be registered is no longer there. If you have a 1/2 HP electric motor, it still needs to be registered.
Cheers!!

Registering or licensing dinghies: This is a problem for us Canadians (and for those of other countries too I expect). In Canada dinghies are considered part of the mother ship's equipment and need not be licensed or registered. I recall this being a problem (a long time ago) dealing with the harbour police in San Diego.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:08   #78
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes best to register / document "back home" while it's easy, even if not required there.

Even in places that accept the dink as "part of" the mothership, strict enforcement of that definition means no leisurely independent exploring, ferrying crew & supplies from ship to shore only.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:01   #79

Boat: Modified CD 36

Interesting reading. I’m the guy with the dinghy “BenBow” posted about.

I’ve been away from St Thomas sailing for the last month. Lots of support from those posting so thanks. However, some uninformed comments as well. If you read the original post on my website you’ll have a more accurate perspective. https://farreachvoyages.wordpress.co...ave-sweet-pea/

1. I never look for hand outs. I pay for all services just like everyone else.

2. The Crown Bay dinghy dock primarily supports folks that don’t keep their boats in the marina. It’s the main dinghy dock on the west end of the greater Charlotte Amalie area of St Thomas. It’s also the most common dock used by residents on Water Island as well as the large live aboard community in Elephant Bay.

3. The dinghy dock is the primary means for all boaters in the area to gain access to the chandlery at Crown Bay, Tickles Pub at Crown Bay (the center of gravity for St Thomas?), the AT&T at Crown Bay, the laundry at Crown Bay, the Pueblo Super market and the Ace Hardware around the corner, as well as access to the safari taxi service with service across the island. It’s also the the most common pick up and drop off point for the international airport just up the road.

4. I don’t know this for a fact but I have it from a reliable local lawyer that Crown Bay was required to provide access to the shore via a dinghy dock for non marina persons. The access was necessary to get the local government to permit the developer to build the marina facility.

5. I’m neither a bum nor a ne’er-do-well. I’m a retired Marine. I have sailed back and fourth between NC and the VI twice on a boat I spent six years rebuilding from a bare hull. I have spent plenty of money at Crown Bay. I assure you I have plenty of money to purchase an inflatable and an outboard for it if I chose too. I row by choice. My 9’ Fatty Knees hard dinghy is a rowing machine. I row because I enjoy it. I stay fit. Interestingly, I have met so many people I would never have met were it not for rowing. There would have been no engagement or conversation had I been zipping along at 20 knots. Strangers call out to me as I row by nearly every day and we chat in an easy conversational tone while I hold station and the next thing you know we are sharing a meal aboard their boat or mine. I literally have dozens of friends simply because I was rowing through a mooring field or anchorage.

6. Rowing is green. It also requires skill and a degree of seamanship to do it safely and efficiently. It’s wonderfully rewarding. Hard dinghies never go flat. The engines don’t break down. They don’t pollute. They don’t go tearing through the anchorage at all hours passing just feet away from anchored boat. They are quiet and peaceful. They are good for your brain and your soul.

7. Yes, you have to cross a shipping channel to get from the anchorage to Crown Bay. So what? It’s easy. From my mooring it takes 10 minutes or 212 strokes to transit from my boat to the marina entrance. There is no issue with visibility. What’s scary is watching how close engine powered dinghies get to major ships entering and leaving the harbor or moving up the channel. People rowing dinghies, in my experience, are more cautious. There are plenty of dinghies with engines that barely go faster than the speed I row my hard dinghy. But because they have an engine they get into the marina. Think about that.

8. Rowboats don’t have right-away over large craft restricted by draft or maneuverability in the channel entrance. You stay clear. There is plenty of room for dinghies and mega yachts when the skippers are paying attention. (Having an engine is no guarantee of safety. Since I have been here I have been told by dock hands several large power yachts have crashed in the marina.) In fact inflatables are moving in and out all the time while the yachts are entering and leaving. Ask any charter or mega yacht captain.

9. I did talk to the marina management. I asked for an exception. If you read the original post you’ll know the response.

10. It is my opinion that the “no rowing into the marina” position is a non-sensical response by an ownership/management team that has not thought the position through. Even several of the “dock hands” commented to me it is “BS.” It’s just foolish.

11. For a different perspective on Crown Bay Marina you might enjoy reading Charlie Doane’s blog post on Wave Train.
https://wavetrain.net/2019/03/13/in-...o-puerto-rico/

12. The bigger issue for me is just a never ending list of silly rules created by people that aren’t thinking with the result of causing needless expense and frustration for folks just trying to make their way in the world. I get along fine with the folks at Crown Bay. I am on a first name basis with the dock master. This is really a non issue now. I row across the channel to the entrance. Put the engine down...start the engine...power to the dinghy dock.
stone0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:52   #80
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Thanks for posting stone0302

It is unfortunately normal for things to be reduced down to their "lowest common denominator" when it comes to safety rules and guys like you suffer.

Aimed at Paddlers rather than Rowers.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy