Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 10:46   #1

Boat: HUNTER LEGEND 456
Send a message via Skype™ to captpsmith
Thumbs down 'Marinno Exturn' ( External) Bow Thruster

I am experiencing some problems what was a superbly efficient Bow Thruster on my 45 foot Hunter Passage 456, which was originally manufactured in Austria where by Marinno were taken over by Sleipner some 2 years ago ( a much larger Company who market 'Side Power' tunnel Thrusters for vessels of any size.

My powerful 24 volt ES300 Exturn has worked well for over three years before failing and is now seized, and the impeller cannot be turned by hand from in the water.

Unable to determine exactly what the fault could be But assume this could be water penetration into the unit.

The Yacht Thruster Company ( from whom it was purchased in early 2012 just over 4 years ago ) who have the distribution rights in USA ( even market the product under their own Banner) , cannot help with repairs as they do not carry spare parts in USA, which seems an incredible statement for an International Based Company which is trying to promote their products.

Any other experiences of this equipment or advices will be much appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 05.06.42.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	126684  
captpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 02:20   #2

Boat: Hunter36 Legend
Re: 'Marinno Exturn' ( External) Bow Thruster

Szia
Nekem ugyanez a problémám, felháborító. Nekem egy új villanymotorra lenne szükségem , és engem is elhajtottak . Megjegyeztem Őket.
Ha esetleg valaki tudna segíteni megköszönném .
Nekem az a problémám, hogy az állórészről levállt a mágnes, és tökretette a forgórészt
Üdvözlet András
Hi
I have the same problem, it's infuriating. I would need a new electric motor, and I was also driven away. I noted them.
I would be grateful if anyone could help.
My problem is that the magnet came off the stator and messed up the rotor
Greetings András
Hunter36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 03:45   #3

Boat: Antigua 44

I had a similar situation and they told me they could not service the unit ... something like they were meant to stay sealed. I tried to get a few local shop/repair guys to look at it and they had no interest. Best of luck!
Talk Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 04:19   #4

Én is így jártam

I did the same
Old 20-10-2022, 08:15   #5

Here is a lesson for everybody. Moving parts under water REQUIRE maintenance. Always. Not sometimes. If someone tells you their product is different they are lying.

There is a shaft on this abomination that exits the motor housing. That shaft has a seal on it that needs replacing at SOME interval, no matter what the manufacturer says.

In this case "sealed for life" means sealed for the life of the device. Once the electric motor is swimming in salt water, the device's life is over, and is no longer expected to be sealed.

In some cases things like this are built so they can NOT be opened and serviced. It can be a lot cheaper to build this way. They should come with an expiration data stamped on the housing.

For people who have these add on thrusters, have you ever thought about what happens if they have a violent impact with a rock or a floating log, or such? Are they designed to tear off and NOT leave a hole behind?
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 09:17   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

I would think the fasteners would shear off, if they were installed with proper fender washers or backing plates.
Old 20-10-2022, 09:26   #7

Köszi
Old 31-10-2022, 12:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpsmith View Post
I am experiencing some problems what was a superbly efficient Bow Thruster on my 45 foot Hunter Passage 456, which was originally manufactured in Austria where by Marinno were taken over by Sleipner some 2 years ago ( a much larger Company who market 'Side Power' tunnel Thrusters for vessels of any size.

My powerful 24 volt ES300 Exturn has worked well for over three years before failing and is now seized, and the impeller cannot be turned by hand from in the water.

Unable to determine exactly what the fault could be But assume this could be water penetration into the unit.

The Yacht Thruster Company ( from whom it was purchased in early 2012 just over 4 years ago ) who have the distribution rights in USA ( even market the product under their own Banner) , cannot help with repairs as they do not carry spare parts in USA, which seems an incredible statement for an International Based Company which is trying to promote their products.

Any other experiences of this equipment or advices will be much appreciated
Had the same sort of thing and boatyards don't necessarily know. Here was my situation:

1) Stern thruster went out. Made a high pitched screeching noise like gears grinding.
2) Boatyard sent technician, who "determined" it was the motor. Said gearleg was turning smoothly by hand. Also had my diver check, and he said he could turn the prop with no problem.
3) Tech removed motor and took it back to shop, where they baked it, re-spun the wire on it, etc., etc.
4) Reinstalled motor. Didn't change a thing, still making high pitched screeching/grinding noise.
5) Still thought it was the motor, but this time said the gearleg was rough turning in one direction. Took motor with him to bench check again.
6) Talked to boatyard manager who said I'm now probably going to need a new bottom half. Mine is a Volvo, which of course doesn't make stern thrusters anymore...
Paradise1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 00:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
Here is a lesson for everybody. Moving parts under water REQUIRE maintenance. Always. Not sometimes. If someone tells you their product is different they are lying.

There is a shaft on this abomination that exits the motor housing. That shaft has a seal on it that needs replacing at SOME interval, no matter what the manufacturer says.

In this case "sealed for life" means sealed for the life of the device. Once the electric motor is swimming in salt water, the device's life is over, and is no longer expected to be sealed.

In some cases things like this are built so they can NOT be opened and serviced. It can be a lot cheaper to build this way. They should come with an expiration data stamped on the housing.

For people who have these add on thrusters, have you ever thought about what happens if they have a violent impact with a rock or a floating log, or such? Are they designed to tear off and NOT leave a hole behind?
Nekem az a véleményem, hogy ez Az EXTURN egy gyenge minőségű, és akkor finoman fogalmaztam , nem ajánlom senkinek .Egy villanymotor amiről 10 év után leváloik a mágnes , az rossz termék, és nem a használattól ment tönkre A SLEIPNER t em fogom ajánlani, mert nem küldenek , csak egész külső egységet több mint 5000 euróért. Felejtős!!!
Üdv mindenkinek András
My opinion is that this EXTURN is of poor quality, and I put it delicately at the time, I do not recommend it to anyone. An electric motor from which the magnet comes off after 10 years is a bad product, and it was not destroyed by use. I will recommend the SLEIPNER because they do not send, only a whole external unit for more than 5000 euros. Forgetful!!! Hello everyone András