Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2020, 10:11   #16

Boat: CLC Skerry
Re: Mast overhang on the Erie Canal

I went through the canal on a 69 foot boat with a 90 foot mast on deck. Just keep her parallel to the wall, and if you're nervous about hitting the wall with your rig, get a couple of old life jackets, pillows, or whatever and duct tape them around the ends of the mast.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 10:15   #17

Boat: Nordic 44

I have also done this trip, once in 1992. 44 ft boat 64 ft mast.

Yes, remove everything from the masthead. I also tied a horseshoe life ring to protect the forward end of the mast. Don't remember that I ever made contact with the wall but just wanted to be sure.

One thing that did happen was that a turnbuckle end vibrated off and dropped in the water. Had to scramble to buy a replacement.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 11:13   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
What Chotu said.
+1

We were a 44’ boat and then a 65’ boat once unstepped. Going East to West the first thing I did was to scrape off 2’ of green stuff in lock #1 with the base of the mast. Which is why you lead with the base of the mast!
Mahayana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 11:40   #19

Boat: Catalina MKII 34'

I have been through the full length of the Eire Canal 7 times with two of those single handed on a 34' Catalina. Can't be that hard can it ?
On single handing and entering, stop the boat completely. I always try to wrap a line around a solid post or ladder at mid-ship. As boat rises or lowers keep adjusting the line up or down.
With the mast down I always lashed a 2x4 on either side of the mast at the leading edge to take the brunt of things should I angle too close into the wall.
Let it hang a foot or two past the end of the mast. It works.
svchances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 12:04   #20

Having made this trip many times there is no problem with mast overhang. As others have said I recommend removing items on top of mast for safety measures as it is easier to remove and replace than buy new and replace if damaged. After tying up after exiting Fed lock on the Hudson and getting some rest, I would go to the Caslelton on the Hudson where fellow yachties would lend hand and we would raise our mast there for a very small fee to use there equipment. The lock tenders are great and very helpful to all sailboats as we travle slowly and do not damage the canal. With their advice and knowledge I was able to travel the Erie Canal solo with no problems at all in a 37' cutter rig many times. Rig a long line far forward and aft, then use the middle of the line to tie to the ladder rungs. One person can then pull either the bow or stern while in the locks. Works very well. Good luck and safe sailing.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 12:10   #21

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
12 feet longer isn't that bad, only 6 feet on each end and you shouldn't be getting that close to anything. Some boats with a high aspect keel stepped mast might be 20 feet longer, not such a good idea. Bigger problem is it will always be in the way, blocking your view, tripping hazard from all the lashings, etc. Good planning is key here to minimize the obstructions.
A lot of boats going back and forth from Chicago to Mobile take the mast off and have it shipped by truck. $$$ but the easiest. Helps if there's several going at once to share the cost, the truck can probably take 10 or more. They probably do it on the Erie too but not as many.
He said 12 feet each end.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 12:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmugeon View Post
I have done the trip a number of times including on a Nonsuch 30. 30 ft with a 55 ft mast.

Unstep the mast at Oshwago and restep either at a marina the other end or do it yourself with the ginpole at Castleton.

Only problems I have had with the trip in the past is the mast was not secure enough and there was a little blow on Lake Oneida.. we managed but it got a little hairy. Wait for a weather window.

Another time we were stranded in the canal for a couple of weeks due to flooding. This caused a dangerous cross current, but we had lots of warning from the local authorities.

Third hint put the mast foot forward .. that will save the instruments on the top of the mast.

I have done it basically single handed. The lock keepers are great. One stern line and one bow line (they work as springs), stand at the centre balance point of the boat and bend the the lines over the ladder rungs. You will have perfect control.

The first time we went through we had no money so we anchored all the way down to New York, including New York in the anchorage behind the Statue of Liberty. It was the start of a circumnavigation and we did not go into a marina except for fuel and supplies for two years.

When you get across Lake Erie to The Welland Canal (Mast up) there is free dockage at the entrance to the canal where you phone the authorities for passage. There is an information sign at the entrance to the canal. The Welland Canal is also easy. Port Colborne is good for provisioning, check out the friendly marina if you need anything.

Next the Panama Canal, which is also fun.

And I thought I was the only one who ran into trouble crossing Lake Oneida in bad weather. Should have known better as years before I lived on the lake. Re-secured mast under the bridge at Silven Beach
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 12:18   #23

Put the mast foot forward and more overhang forward where you can easily watch it when docking or entering and leaving a lock. The lesser overhang aft seems to take care of itself.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 12:24   #24

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Also a fender board is handy,I length of 2 by 6 or similar,hang it outboard of the fenders then they won’t get scratched up.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 13:03   #25

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Fender boards are a real asset. Also we bought several exercise balls and put them in net type laundry bags. BIG and cheap fenders. It also keeps our good fenders from getting filthy dirty.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 13:12   #26

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

As two others have said, Lake Oneida can be very rough and the result is that there are a few masts on the bottom there (seriously). Before you leave you will find it wise to make your support arrangements for the mast, while you have access to a car, lumber, and power tools. You should probably have no fewer than 3 solid support points (4 would be better); I had 2 and lashing in the middle and I thought it very inadequate. The supports need to prevent sideways movement as well as vertical support. Otherwise you will find it much more difficult to build when needed, or expensive to have built for you. There were a couple of choices for un-stepping the mast in Buffalo/Tonawanda by boat yards; on the Hudson I would use the yacht club again, but only because I built the boat and am comfortable with DIY - otherwise continue downriver to a boat yard. And no, the overhangs are not a problem.

BTW once you have a design for the braces write it down and keep it. You can leave your braces at the yacht club but they probably won't still be there when you come back. Also you might get into a canal elsewhere (e.g. Europe).

Greg

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...0&d=1335839874
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 14:24   #27

Boat: Alberg 30

Also use 2 big fenders on the ends and a small one in the middle helps to keep boat parrellel to wall
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 14:48   #28

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Lake Oneida is a treat. It is very long and shallow and throws up not very large but very square waves with about a five second period. We found that it is important to stop the mast from moving forward and back in these conditions. I would go with three substantial supports tied down with Harbor Freight cheapo tie-downs on the supports and then lines to tie the mast to supports and boat. Nothing to panic about, just be diligent.
Old 01-01-2021, 16:04   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
12 feet longer isn't that bad, only 6 feet on each end and you shouldn't be getting that close to anything. Some boats with a high aspect keel stepped mast might be 20 feet longer, not such a good idea. ....
The mast is 55ft the boat is 33 ft - I'll have 11 feet hanging off each end.
DeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 16:10   #30

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Actually, there are piles and piles of free A frames available wherever you unstep the mast in Tonawanda.

You just pick a set that will work for you and do any small modifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
As two others have said, Lake Oneida can be very rough and the result is that there are a few masts on the bottom there (seriously). Before you leave you will find it wise to make your support arrangements for the mast, while you have access to a car, lumber, and power tools. You should probably have no fewer than 3 solid support points (4 would be better); I had 2 and lashing in the middle and I thought it very inadequate. The supports need to prevent sideways movement as well as vertical support. Otherwise you will find it much more difficult to build when needed, or expensive to have built for you. There were a couple of choices for un-stepping the mast in Buffalo/Tonawanda by boat yards; on the Hudson I would use the yacht club again, but only because I built the boat and am comfortable with DIY - otherwise continue downriver to a boat yard. And no, the overhangs are not a problem.

BTW once you have a design for the braces write it down and keep it. You can leave your braces at the yacht club but they probably won't still be there when you come back. Also you might get into a canal elsewhere (e.g. Europe).

Greg

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...0&d=1335839874
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, mast