Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2021, 16:12   #31

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Mast overhang on the Erie Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
Fender boards are a real asset. Also we bought several exercise balls and put them in net type laundry bags. BIG and cheap fenders. It also keeps our good fenders from getting filthy dirty.
We used fenders the first couple locks, then none after we realized we didn’t need the. One on the stern, one on the bow. We just held the boat off the wall by hand. 45’ sloop
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 16:15   #32

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee View Post
The mast is 55ft the boat is 33 ft - I'll have 11 feet hanging off each end.
Just pretend you have a 55ft boat.

No, seriously. That’s all it is.

That’s one hell of a rig for a 33ft boat.

I just drove an 80ft combined length mast and truck 100 miles through 2 small towns and on an interstate.

On the water will be a LOT easier than how I moved mine. You have nothing to worry about. Don’t be too nervous. Just be thorough. After a day or two, it’ll all be second nature.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 20:22   #33

Thank you all for your comments. No one suggested shipping it.
Summary of comments
1) mast base forward
2) attach some sacrificial 2x4 out the front
3) at least 3 mounts. (I have a solar tower that will help keep it up and out of the way)
4) I'm a big fan of fenders, I think I'll get a couple of big ball fenders for the bow
5) I'll probably diy the stepping at Castleton
6) not sure about the unstepping.

I would like to keep the dodger up for weather protection. We'll see.
DeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 20:39   #34

Securing the mast is the most important part of motoring through the Erie Canal. Forget the dodger unless you mast is only half the size of your boat. It will hang over both ends so be sure it will take some rocking and rolling going through places like Lake Oneida which is shalow and choppy in bad weather. The attendants are like ambassadors of the Locks. You obey the no wake speed limit and they will treat you like Royalty. Some of the nicest and most helpful people you could ever ask for. My first trip I had 3 crew and what a disaster trying to coordinate the teamwork needed. The next 3 time leaving Lake Erie and returning I was able to do solo as the lock attendants helped by giving me some tips.

Easiest way to travel the Erie Canal while mast down is to secure a line from bow to stern with some slack as to allow the middle of the line to be inserted into the ladder of the lock and one person can handle the boat while the lock is rising or falling by pulling on the line as needed. Castleton is a great place to step your mast after exiting the last Federal Lock. Good luck and safe sailing.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 01:49   #35

Boat: J/88

There are a bunch of experienced canal goers here, can anyone confirm that 11 days is reasonable transit time from NYC to Lake Ontario?
Old 15-10-2021, 04:02   #36

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
There are a bunch of experienced canal goers here, can anyone confirm that 11 days is reasonable transit time from NYC to Lake Ontario?
It is ample assuming you use the tides up the Hudson and don't spend too much time being a tourist.
Old 15-10-2021, 04:29   #37

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Yes. NYC to Catskill or Caselton in 3 long days. 1 or2 days to instep mast and secure it. 1 day to Waterford. 4 to 5 days to Oswego.

Weather plays a big factor. This year the canal was closed for a good part of the summer due to high water levels.

Build the mast supports before you leave NYC. Supples are limited at Catskill and Caselton. River view marina is a competent yard for mast work.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 05:49   #38

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:

You should definitely be able to do it in 11 days or less. At 6 kts, figure 3 long days from NYC to Waterford (including unstepping the mast), then another 5 - 6 days to Oswego.

If you want to estimate travel time on the canals, use the distance tables on the NY Canals website. Personally, I tend to estimate based on a slightly slow average speed (don't forget to account for the distances being in statute miles). I usually figure 6 kts in most sections (slow cruise on my boat is 6.5 - 7 kts, but occasional slowdowns to reduce wake, etc.). And then 20 minutes per lock (with a few delays here and there and different lock heights this usually comes out close on average).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, mast